Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do YOU eat in a day and Stalling

Write what YOU eat in a day.

I'm nosy and would like to know. Also, maybe it'll give me some food ideas. I'm almost 8 months out. Getting bored of some foods.

If you've had stalls, what do YOU do to break those stalls?

I'm several years out so I probably shouldn't answer the first question since I've been in maintenance for a long time..

but for the first, I just made sure I was sticking to my program, weighed, measured, and logged everything I ate, and backed off on weighing myself - from daily to about once a week until the stall broke.

I’ve been in maintenance for a couple of years now, so like @catwoman7 can’t really answer your first question. Mind you I don’t eat all that differently. Just larger portions (& probably a little more good & bad fat 😉). Don’t be afraid to widen your meal selection & food selection. It may need you to do a little work to make a recipe healthier, lower in calories & to complement your plan (ingredients, cooking method). Don’t forget to check the nutrient content too. And it’s working towards how you’ll eat in the future.

As to the stall issue - you can’t break those. It’s your body’s reaction to your weight loss. It’s the time your body needs to takes to assesses your current needs & adjusts things like your digestive hormones, metabolism, etc. Your body will take as long as it needs to do this. Stick to your plan. Don’t stress your body more by making changes to what you’re eating or your activity. Your stall will break when your body is ready. Still is frustrating I know.

8 weeks post op and all I eat is 1 scrambled egg with vegan cheese, 2% Lactaid chocolate milk, or some homemade chicken broth made by my mother. When I get really desperate, I'll have a sugar-free popsicle. I am suffering.

What surgery have you had OP?

I had a sleeve 23 months ago. Ballpark daily menu below for you. I was eating about two-thirds of this quantity at 8 months I think.

Breakfast - I don't eat it but I do I have a large latte with whole milk. I like supper instead.

Mid morning - 3oz greek yoghurt (or porridge made with whole milk) and fruit (3oz frozen berries or sometimes half a banana with honey); alternatively two eggs fried or scrambled or one with a couple of rashers of bacon.

lunch - chicken salad with about 2-3oz chicken and usually 2oz full fat coleslaw, with lettuce, Tomato, cucumber etc. and a sprinkling of seeds All fits on a side plate (piled up, LOL). Or Soup (I love soup with loads of veggies and lentils for protein) - can do a good cup of that. Or a small amount of sushi - about 3 large pieces or 5/6 small. Rice really fills me up and is good on hungry days because it takes my stomach forever to process it (probably doing untold internal damage, LOL).

dinner - my main meal - meat or fish 3oz approx - I can eat more of some meats than others; veg about 3oz; if I have space left then a tiny amount of carbs but usually not. Fish pie I love, with a tiny mashed potato layer. Stews are good - usually beef and veg in those (no potato). Fried chicken (I prefer thighs to breast). Wings with hot sauce - I can eat about 4 top or bottom wings. Curry - especially veggie curry with lentils and chickpeas (no rice). Steak (or pork steak) fried. I don't make Pasta dishes any more really but I'll happily make a really meaty ragu with beef/pork mince and bacon lardons/pancetta and plenty of veg and just eat that on its own! Sausages (one large or two small) with onions and mushrooms. Fajita filling - chicken with onions mushrooms peppers sour cream guacamole cheese etc just no fajita. Sometimes a pie - chicken and ham - with just a top crust none on the bottom. pizza or other takeaway food very occasionally - I can eat two slices of a large pizza nowadays.

Supper - porridge and fruit; cheese and wholemeal crackers or oatcakes; a slice of wholemeal toast and something - e.g. half a banana, or sometimes pate or cream cheese or nut butter.

Snacks - 2-3 a day - 1oz cheese; 1-2oz deli meat; 1oz raw nuts; olives; most days I have a small bag of crisps (chips to you lot).

I drink wine at weekends - 1-2 glasses per night. Basically a bottle per weekend. I drink *far too much* diet soda all the time. I have almost no sugar in my diet now but sadly on the rare occasions I do eat any I still really love it and crave more - don't think that will ever leave me.

Hope that helps - it's actually made me hungry just writing it 😂

Oh I meant to say - @Arabesque is, as usual, spot on about stalls. They come and they go and they are SUPER ANNOYING. People swear by all sorts of tricks to break them like switching exercise regimes or eating more or fewer calories/protein, etc. but I don't really think they make any difference.

Also - I am really nosy too so hope some other folks share their typical daily diet!

On 10/13/2023 at 7:11 PM, bariatricks said:

8 weeks post op and all I eat is 1 scrambled egg with vegan cheese, 2% Lactaid chocolate milk, or some homemade chicken broth made by my mother. When I get really desperate, I'll have a sugar-free popsicle. I am suffering.

I know how that is! But you will get there!!

On 10/14/2023 at 8:42 AM, Spinoza said:

What surgery have you had OP?

I had a sleeve 23 months ago. Ballpark daily menu below for you. I was eating about two-thirds of this quantity at 8 months I think.

Breakfast - I don't eat it but I do I have a large latte with whole milk. I like supper instead.

Mid morning - 3oz greek yoghurt (or porridge made with whole milk) and fruit (3oz frozen berries or sometimes half a banana with honey); alternatively two eggs fried or scrambled or one with a couple of rashers of bacon.

lunch - chicken salad with about 2-3oz chicken and usually 2oz full fat coleslaw, with lettuce, Tomato, cucumber etc. and a sprinkling of seeds All fits on a side plate (piled up, LOL). Or Soup (I love Soup with loads of veggies and lentils for protein) - can do a good cup of that. Or a small amount of sushi - about 3 large pieces or 5/6 small. Rice really fills me up and is good on hungry days because it takes my stomach forever to process it (probably doing untold internal damage, LOL).

dinner - my main meal - meat or fish 3oz approx - I can eat more of some meats than others; veg about 3oz; if I have space left then a tiny amount of carbs but usually not. Fish pie I love, with a tiny mashed potato layer. Stews are good - usually beef and veg in those (no potato). Fried chicken (I prefer thighs to breast). Wings with hot sauce - I can eat about 4 top or bottom wings. Curry - especially veggie curry with lentils and chickpeas (no rice). Steak (or pork steak) fried. I don't make Pasta dishes any more really but I'll happily make a really meaty ragu with beef/pork mince and bacon lardons/pancetta and plenty of veg and just eat that on its own! Sausages (one large or two small) with onions and mushrooms. Fajita filling - chicken with onions mushrooms peppers sour cream guacamole cheese etc just no fajita. Sometimes a pie - chicken and ham - with just a top crust none on the bottom. pizza or other takeaway food very occasionally - I can eat two slices of a large pizza nowadays.

Supper - porridge and fruit; cheese and wholemeal crackers or oatcakes; a slice of wholemeal toast and something - e.g. half a banana, or sometimes pate or cream cheese or nut butter.

Snacks - 2-3 a day - 1oz cheese; 1-2oz deli meat; 1oz raw nuts; olives; most days I have a small bag of crisps (chips to you lot).

I drink wine at weekends - 1-2 glasses per night. Basically a bottle per weekend. I drink *far too much* diet soda all the time. I have almost no sugar in my diet now but sadly on the rare occasions I do eat any I still really love it and crave more - don't think that will ever leave me.

Hope that helps - it's actually made me hungry just writing it 😂

I had gastric bypass lol

Man, fish is one thing I never liked. I didn't like tuna fish for awhile after surgery(always liked it before). A couple months ago, I started liking it again.

Some things I don't like anymore are tacos/nachos (those were one of my favorites!), hot dogs, last night we made homemade subs that I usually like but I just didn't care for it this time, bread type of foods are starting to bother me now. I too can only eat about 2 slices of pizza depending on how thick the crust is. If I eat more that two, I'm asking for it lol. Sometime I can eat 2.5, that's rare. I don't like a majority of the sugar free drinks(the packets). I used to like the lipton sugar free lemon iced tea, not anymore. I can't stand making my own coffee anymore and the only coffee like drink that I really like is a small iced caramel latte from Mickey D's. Better than Starbucks strangely. I ask for 2 equal, 2 cream, whipped cream and caramel drizzle. No, it doesn't make me sick or dump. If it was a medium, I would get an upset stomach tho.

Its hard making meals when you don't always have real Protein. My fav protein is chicken. I've been using recipes lately and they've been good. But yeah, the salad sounds good, maybe I can make a chicken salad tomorrow for lunch. I have a frozen chicken that I got from Walmart that a bariatric patien suggested and the nutrition facts are pretty good on it and it actually tastes like chic fil a but better in my opinion lol.

I saw a recipe for mcgriddle muffins. Except I'm going to use my protein pancake/waffle mix for extra protein. They sound so good.

Has anyone gotten sick of yogurt or Protein Drinks that are already made? Lol I have and that was since a few weeks after surgery. I just bought a Protein Powder this month and I want to start making 2 protein smoothies a day.

Why does some stuff that has sugar in it not bother me but others do? I should eliminate sugar stuff and switch to sugar free instead, but hey sometimes it's better and just need it. Is there something wrong if it doesn't make me sick? Or am I just lucky? Lol I don't like that I don't get sick if I eat something with sugar 😪

Sorry this was long

What do you mean by not always having real Protein? What are your current protein sources? I was eating lamb, steak, chicken, pork, fish from solid foods so week 7.

What do you mean by not always having real Protein? What are your current protein sources? I was eating lamb, steak, chicken, pork, fish from solid foods so week 7.

Oops. Impatient clicking.

Edited by Arabesque

im 5 years post. at this point i eat what i feel for, when i feel for it.

i don't avoid anything except large amounts of sugar in one sitting (or on an empty stomach cuz im a dumper) everything else is fair game. yes i eat chips and chocolate and hot dogs (with buns!) and all sorts of deep fried stuff and drink alcohol along with my salads and roasted veggies and sashimi and grilled chicken breasts.

normally (not right now cuz im super sick), i eat about 1800-ish cals a day without gaining or losing any unintended weight, and can consume roughly 1 cup-ish of food "material" in volume in one sitting. more if its salad, less if its dense meat or fluffy bread. give me a couple hours and i can down another cup of food.

so long as my cals stay around 1800 a day, it doesn't matter whats its made up of...at least from a weight gain/loss perspective. from a health-wise perspective, well that is likely another story...cuz im sure 1800 cals of chicken breast is better for my body than 1800 cals of buttered popcorn.

so far so good as my last labs (this time last year) were a-ok. we'll see what this years labs say when i get them done at end of month.

i realize i haven't really answered either of ur questions. for the latter, i can't really comment, but for the former, below is a screenshot of what i ate when i was 8 months post op (trusty ol MFP!) note i had already reached goal and was in the process of upping my calories to settle into maintenance at this time. it took me another 2-3 months and another 10+ lbs lost before i figured out what my maintenance calories were.

(sorry this was so long!)

A634D049-56D6-4691-9434-544FF9374C86.thumb.jpeg.fcff2cf0508f0d0c369b523ae0c2d63d.jpeg

On 10/17/2023 at 5:09 PM, ms.sss said:

im 5 years post. at this point i eat what i feel for, when i feel for it.

i don't avoid anything except large amounts of sugar in one sitting (or on an empty stomach cuz im a dumper) everything else is fair game. yes i eat chips and chocolate and hot dogs (with buns!) and all sorts of deep fried stuff and drink alcohol along with my salads and roasted veggies and sashimi and grilled chicken breasts.

normally (not right now cuz im super sick), i eat about 1800-ish cals a day without gaining or losing any unintended weight, and can consume roughly 1 cup-ish of food "material" in volume in one sitting. more if its salad, less if its dense meat or fluffy bread. give me a couple hours and i can down another cup of food.

so long as my cals stay around 1800 a day, it doesn't matter whats its made up of...at least from a weight gain/loss perspective. from a health-wise perspective, well that is likely another story...cuz im sure 1800 cals of chicken breast is better for my body than 1800 cals of buttered popcorn.

so far so good as my last labs (this time last year) were a-ok. we'll see what this years labs say when i get them done at end of month.

i realize i haven't really answered either of ur questions. for the latter, i can't really comment, but for the former, below is a screenshot of what i ate when i was 8 months post op (trusty ol MFP!) note i had already reached goal and was in the process of upping my calories to settle into maintenance at this time. it took me another 2-3 months and another 10+ lbs lost before i figured out what my maintenance calories were.

(sorry this was so long!)

A634D049-56D6-4691-9434-544FF9374C86.thumb.jpeg.fcff2cf0508f0d0c369b523ae0c2d63d.jpeg

This is really reassuring and helpful. I'm going to get that app. Thank you!!

I usually eat whatever I feel like. Today I had coffee with half cup of 1% milk and collagen powder (breakfast). For lunch, I had a 120g slice of bacon, egg, onion quiche (homemade). For Snacks, my go-tos are crispy grapes and strawberries. I eat all types of fruit, and often changes depending how I feel. Like yesterday, I had some of a fresh cacao fruit. Other days, I love frozen durian. Not sure what I'll have for dinner, thinking of two black bean tacos (I like the black bean fiesta) but I may make some oxtail Soup with veggies. It's good for prepping several little bowls for later meals.

Before maintenance, during stalls, I would cut back my calorie intake on my weekly average till it breaks. To help, I use a lot of konjac noodles because they are basically calorie and carbohydrate free. In maintenance, if I gain a couple pounds, I do the same to get to my accepted weight range. I have no secrets, it's boring, I watch my calories. I have to unfortunately.

My exercise is to live an active lifestyle by constantly moving wherever I am, but I don't ever do a formal exercise plan because I can't exercise my way out when I eat too much lol (As the saying goes) and it makes me more hungry anyway. I move for health, not to lose weight.