Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, so I'm on a hunt for a good collagen supplement that won't break the bank? Right now I'm using Spring Valley Collagen and Biotin. I'd say I've been using it for two weeks so far. I feel like it's probably helping my skin, but I'm not noticing anything really with my hair which is what I want it for and because my team recommended it.

Anybody using collagen?

Your hair is dead so all the Biotin & collagen may help is any new growth. So you won’t see any improvement with your hair for some months & your new growth has some length.

I understood it takes 4-12 weeks to see any benefits to your skin. I took a collagen supplement & silica for months & months but really saw no improvement - was pretty disappointed. My beauty therapist gave me a liquid marine collagen serum ($100 a bottle - yikes!) to apply to my face. I used it religiously for 6+ months & didn’t get results with that either. Just depends on our skin I think. Hope it works for you.

Personally I really like Vitamin C & retinol - texture, tone, brightening, etc. I get good results. I use a 15% Vitamin C & 2% retinol (1% retinol & 1% bakuchiol). I also did 4 derma needling RF sessions over 4 months & it’s amazing. I have defined cheek bones again, no more lip stick bleed, & my jowly bits have decreased a lot. It takes three months to see the benefits of each session.

Good luck.

PS - Neither will stop the Hair loss we almost experience after surgery. Our normal hair loss cycle is temporarily accelerated so the extra hair you lose during this time, would have been shed anyway (as all our hair eventually is) just over a longer time frame. Those who swear by it experience their hair loss for about 3 months +/- but so do those who don’t take it so … 🙂

I take a general glucosamine and chondroitin supplement from BJ’s. It seems to help with joint pain and inflammation because I can’t take Aleve or ibuprofen anymore. It took about a month to feel the difference but between the weight loss and this, I can avoid shots to the knees and surgery a little longer.

I still lost significant hair because I do not absorb Iron well and that takes some detective work and time to figure out precisely what is going on with YOUR body. My friend who had a sleeve done found out a year after surgery, her hair issue was related to hypothyroidism. You can try all the supplements you want, but you need to be a detective for yourself. Watch carefully which supplements can be taken with what foods and other supplements and medications. My hair came back eventually. I decided I would rather be bald and strong any day over being fat and falling apart.

I take a general glucosamine and chondroitin supplement from BJ’s. It seems to help with joint pain and inflammation because I can’t take Aleve or ibuprofen anymore. It took about a month to feel the difference but between the weight loss and this, I can avoid shots to the knees and surgery a little longer.

I still lost significant hair because I do not absorb Iron well and that takes some detective work and time to figure out precisely what is going on with YOUR body. My friend who had a sleeve done found out a year after surgery, her hair issue was related to hypothyroidism. You can try all the supplements you want, but you need to be a detective for yourself. Watch carefully which supplements can be taken with what foods and other supplements and medications. My hair came back eventually. I decided I would rather be bald and strong any day over being fat and falling apart.

Ditto to alllllllll the above. collagen is great for hair, skin, and nails but it takes time and won't stop the "bariatric shed" from happening. I take Vital Protein's brand, I get it in a tub from costco and throw it in my coffee every morning. It does help, but it takes time and consistency, especially for hair. As @Arabesque mentioned, hair is all dead stuff, so you won't see the benefits until it starts to grow out.

The bariatric she is real and nothing will stop it. You need to make sure you stick to your Protein amounts everyday because your hair needs it to produce new growth and grow (your hair can't produce protein but needs it). collagen and Biotin (as well as keratin_ are fantastic for helping your hair be softer, shinier, and healthier. BUT, it does nothing to actually prevent shedding or make it grow. Collagen is great for hair, skin, and nails as well as joints. For me, I use Codeage Platinum collagen powder. It has 5 kinds of collagen, biotin, keratin, hyaluronic acid, and Vitamin C. It's amazing, and I've used it for almost 2 years. It's everything I need for hair, skin, nails, and joints.

Another thing I take is MSM. It's amazing for joints, but it also helps thicken hair (which is something I need since I've had 2 bariatric surgeries and my hair is seriously thin). Also make sure you take Vitamin E. That's another things that is fantastic for skin and can be beneficial for hair, as well. I also use Living Proof thickening Shampoo and conditioner and dry shampoo. It helps give my hair volume, which I desperately need right now. Hope all of this helps!!!

I just have collagen in my Protein (it's not my source of protein, it's just added as extra). Like someone else said, it just helps the new growth. Using quality hair products does wonders for your hair. As well as regular trims.
I like Tretinoin for my face. It helps with fine lines, hyper pigmentation, acne, dullness.... it's a mature woman's miracle cream. It's prescription only, but well worth it.
For the rest of your skin, make sure to moisturize religiously. I do an in shower lotion and then another moisturizer once I'm dried off. I have noticed a big improvement with the texture of my skin. And I don't use anything overly special.
Your Multivitamin should already have Biotin in it, so you shouldn't need to add any additional milligrams (brand specific). I use women's one a day Vitamin, and it has 100% of the biotin I need.

Hey all,

Yes I have a thyroid problem and the doctors already know. I've been on thyroid medication since 2016. The team did blood work and said it was a little high but not enough to change my dosage. She saw my hair and she recommended taking a collagen supplement. I like the taste of the Spring Valley collagen + Biotin sugar free liquid supplement (sorry I didn't mention it was a liquid or that it was together). I'm also 7 months post op. The hair shedding has slowed down a lot at this point.

I really do feel a difference in my hair. It feels softer. I've always had fine hair. It's just since I had surgery, it looks super thin on the top of my head on the left side of my part and only really can be seen if I put my hair up in a bun or pony. Makes me feel a little self conscious. But I do know it'll go back to normal eventually or at least I hope lol.

I want to start using the vital Proteins collagen powder. And get a new Protein Powder. Have one of each per day. I definitely lack Protein and I know that's a huge factor. For the past few months it's been difficult deciding on what to eat with protein that isn't eggs. I have found a pancake mix with 15g of protein in it and it's actually the best protein pancake mix I've found, but I don't want pancakes every day. I get sick of things quick now since I've had the surgery.

I use Vital Proteins ( currently on sale in costco ). I mainly add it to my morning coffee - typically a Protein coffee as it is. I have used it for years prior to surgery and I continue to use it. As others have said, nothing can stop the hair shed - I am still shedding at 5 months, but a tiny bit less than when it started at 3 months. However I know the collagen will help new Hair growth. I take a bit of extra Biotin - more than just my bariatric multi - and keep up my protein intake. I use a Biotin & Collagen Shampoo and conditioner - though I know that won't truly help, lol. It's a mental thing and it was on sale at Marshall's. At worst, my hair is still clean, lol.

I take the collagen more so for joints and skin since as we get older our collagen depletes. It takes a few months to even really notice any differences so it is something you have to stay consistent with.

Nothing stopping you from eating ‘non Breakfast foods’ for breakfast if you’re tired of eggs. For example 3ozs of most meats contain more than 20g of Protein - you could have some chicken for breakfast, salmon, etc. Find a high protein yoghurt (mine has 20g - it’s an Australian brand). A serve of rolled oats, milk & seeds can give you 15g. Make a smoothie. Try some other egg recipes not just poached, fried or scrambled: egg muffins, omelettes, frittatas, etc. Add some unflavoured protein powder to your pancake mix, porridge, smoothie, coffee, etc. for an extra boost.

Here are a couple of high protein breakfast ideas. You may have to adjust them based on what you are allowed to eat. Ask your dietician for some high protein meal ideas too.

https://www.health.com/25-high-protein-breakfast-ideas-to-keep-you-full-7566320

On 9/18/2023 at 11:18 PM, Arabesque said:

Nothing stopping you from eating ‘non Breakfast foods’ for breakfast if you’re tired of eggs. For example 3ozs of most meats contain more than 20g of Protein - you could have some chicken for breakfast, salmon, etc. Find a high Protein yoghurt (mine has 20g - it’s an Australian brand). A serve of rolled oats, milk & seeds can give you 15g. Make a smoothie. Try some other egg recipes not just poached, fried or scrambled: egg muffins, omelettes, frittatas, etc. Add some unflavoured Protein Powder to your pancake mix, porridge, smoothie, coffee, etc. for an extra boost.

Here are a couple of high protein breakfast ideas. You may have to adjust them based on what you are allowed to eat. Ask your dietician for some high protein meal ideas too.

https://www.health.com/25-high-protein-breakfast-ideas-to-keep-you-full-7566320

I actually found a protein pancake mix by aunt Jemima (can't remember what it's called now) but it tastes the closet to regular pancakes.

I bought a new container of protein powder by premiere protein which has 30g of protein in it. I was thinking about putting some of that in oatmeal or cream of wheat instead of unflavored. It vanilla. Who knows, might actually taste good. How muchbof it do I put in it tho?

I've been forcing myself to eat Peanut Butter sometimes, and yogurt still turns my stomach.

I feel like im wasting food. I'll buy something, have it once and then not touch it again. Ugh

On 10/10/2023 at 12:13 AM, Erin18 said:

I bought a new container of Protein Powder by premiere Protein which has 30g of protein in it. I was thinking about putting some of that in oatmeal or cream of wheat instead of unflavored. It vanilla. Who knows, might actually taste good. How muchbof it do I put in it tho?

I really like Creamer in my oatmeal, so I feel like vanilla protein powder would work! I'd mix half a scoop of powder with 1/4 cup of cold Water, then stir it into the oatmeal once it has been cooked. You don't want to heat protein powder very much or it'll denature the protein and it'll clump and be gross. But stirred in after the oatmeal cooks should be fine...

I've heard good things about Spring Valley collagen and Biotin, but results can vary from person to person. I totally get your Quest for the perfect collagen supplement. So, two weeks might be a bit early to see major changes, so don't lose hope just yet! Sometimes these things take a bit of time to work their magic. Patience is key.And you know what's really cool? Making sure your supplements are fresh and at their best. You can use the Batch Code checker at https://batchdecoder.com to double-check the quality of your products. It's a handy tool to have in your beauty arsenal.

Edited by JaylynnAdkins