Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 week stall, still have nasty gerd, and FINALLY found restriction...

As the title says, I hit my 3 week stall about 2 days ago. I have been through this before, so I know not to check my weight for a week now. The stalls are the worst part of all this, and as time goes on, they get longer and longer. But I've already been to this dance, so at least I know what to expect.

My gerd is getting bad. I had to go up to 40mg every day and see how that works (going to every other day caused issues, so today starts every day again). I was really hoping that I would be able to get off PPI with this revision, but so far, no. At least I've gone from 80mg daily to 40. If I could get down to maybe 20mg I could learn to be ok with it. I guess time will tell.

I was given the ok to try some ground turkey and HOLY CRAP I FOUND THE RESTRICTION!!!!!! I can eat scrambled eggs, avocado, hummus, refried Beans, even cheese cubes....nothing. But I had 2 tbsp of ground turkey and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD there was ALL KINDS of restriction!!!!! I've never had this before. It's awesome!!!! I was told my stomach is the size of a golf ball, and I found it hard to believe before, but oh man I believe it now!!!

I'm not looking forward to the stalls because I know how negative that can make me feel from past dieting, I don't think it'll be so bad after surgery after hearing about everyone's experiences with them. You make me feel like I'll be able to do this!

The whole point of my surgery is to alleviate the GERD, I'm not technically having the surgery done for weight loss but because of another stomach surgery 18 years ago it's now my only viable option to fix my issues. I already get dumping syndrome because of my stomach issues so I'm not too worried about that. I'm just worried that I'm going to do it wrong. I imagine I'll have to be on a PPI for forever but I'm hopeful that we can at least lower the dosage down after surgery.

I know scrambled eggs will be one of my go-to's for a quick Protein snack because they're already my quick protein haha. I did what everyone said not to do and got a bunch of different protein supplements (i.e. shake powders, 2 oz shots, and "clear" beverage-type protein in liquid and powder. Just wanted to see what is and isn't going to work and how much I'm going to have to adjust my lifestyle. I feel like I'm going to be tied to a clock with having to space things out like Iron and Calcium. I'm already hesitant about a lot of meat because I have difficulty swallowing but KNOWING like really knowing and understanding how big your pouch is and what it will actually hold is probably a godsend and will save you some grief as you progress. I've been trying to pick up a little bit of this and that in preparation for it because I know when the time comes for it I'll be broke since I'll be missing a week of work if I'm not able to move around again quickly. But everyone says they're up and moving within a few days so I'm hopeful to only miss 3-4 days at the office, and I have a sedentary job that I can do from home, so that helps.

So excited to see everyone's progress. Thanks for sharing your experience with us :)

50 minutes ago, ElleRodri said:

I'm not looking forward to the stalls because I know how negative that can make me feel from past dieting, I don't think it'll be so bad after surgery after hearing about everyone's experiences with them. You make me feel like I'll be able to do this!

The whole point of my surgery is to alleviate the GERD, I'm not technically having the surgery done for weight loss but because of another stomach surgery 18 years ago it's now my only viable option to fix my issues. I already get dumping syndrome because of my stomach issues so I'm not too worried about that. I'm just worried that I'm going to do it wrong. I imagine I'll have to be on a PPI for forever but I'm hopeful that we can at least lower the dosage down after surgery.

I know scrambled eggs will be one of my go-to's for a quick Protein snack because they're already my quick Protein haha. I did what everyone said not to do and got a bunch of different protein supplements (i.e. shake powders, 2 oz shots, and "clear" beverage-type protein in liquid and powder. Just wanted to see what is and isn't going to work and how much I'm going to have to adjust my lifestyle. I feel like I'm going to be tied to a clock with having to space things out like Iron and Calcium. I'm already hesitant about a lot of meat because I have difficulty swallowing but KNOWING like really knowing and understanding how big your pouch is and what it will actually hold is probably a godsend and will save you some grief as you progress. I've been trying to pick up a little bit of this and that in preparation for it because I know when the time comes for it I'll be broke since I'll be missing a week of work if I'm not able to move around again quickly. But everyone says they're up and moving within a few days so I'm hopeful to only miss 3-4 days at the office, and I have a sedentary job that I can do from home, so that helps.

So excited to see everyone's progress. Thanks for sharing your experience with us :)

just wanted to say, the tied to a clock thing definetly resonates, esp that first six months. Its also part of why i specifically chose medicine that doesn't require supplementing with additional Calcium and Iron, i take a full complete all in one that doesnt require anything additional, and I take two twice a day.

3 minutes ago, heatherdbby said:

just wanted to say, the tied to a clock thing definetly resonates, esp that first six months. Its also part of why i specifically chose medicine that doesn't require supplementing with additional Calcium and Iron, i take a full complete all in one that doesnt require anything additional, and I take two twice a day.

which one do you use? I was thinking about going to the Patches after I have my procedure since I definitely can't take what I take now since it's a huge caplet and it has caffeine in it too.

4 minutes ago, ElleRodri said:

which one do you use? I was thinking about going to the Patches after I have my procedure since I definitely can't take what I take now since it's a huge caplet and it has caffeine in it too.

my office requires chewable. no gummies bc they have hidden carbs and sugars. no capsules bc they add additional barriers on absorption.

My surgeons office gave us a full long list of their recommendations, and broke down which ones had additional supplements we had to add with it (example, if you take flintstones complete, you need to add Calcium and b complex)

I chose the one that was a complete that didnt need additional supplements, and the dietician said that she does not see defiencies with that one, its Bariatric Fusion, the one that says complete chewable.

https://www.bariatricfusion.com/collections/bariatric-multivitamins

4 minutes ago, heatherdbby said:

my office requires chewable. no gummies bc they have hidden carbs and sugars. no capsules bc they add additional barriers on absorption.

My surgeons office gave us a full long list of their recommendations, and broke down which ones had additional supplements we had to add with it (example, if you take flintstones complete, you need to add Calcium and b complex)

I chose the one that was a complete that didnt need additional supplements, and the dietician said that she does not see defiencies with that one, its Bariatric Fusion, the one that says complete chewable.

https://www.bariatricfusion.com/collections/bariatric-multivitamins

THANK YOU! That's one that I hadn't run across in all my internet browsing. I am sure I'll get more information from my care team as we get closer and I go through these upcoming classes and appointments. mayo Clinic seems to be pretty good, I'm just excited to find a surgeon that would help (weight loss is just a side effect of the surgery, I'm actually having it to fix my GERD again) I had a GERD surgery in 2005 and the wrap has started to come undone so everything causes acid and if I don't eat enough soon enough and the acid builds too much I go into non-stop vomiting for days until it works it's way out of my system, think severe food poisoning complete with hospital trips, I have entirely too many medical issues, I'm praying that these "co-morbidities" go away with the weight.

2 minutes ago, ElleRodri said:

THANK YOU! That's one that I hadn't run across in all my internet browsing. I am sure I'll get more information from my care team as we get closer and I go through these upcoming classes and appointments. mayo Clinic seems to be pretty good, I'm just excited to find a surgeon that would help (weight loss is just a side effect of the surgery, I'm actually having it to fix my GERD again) I had a GERD surgery in 2005 and the wrap has started to come undone so everything causes acid and if I don't eat enough soon enough and the acid builds too much I go into non-stop vomiting for days until it works it's way out of my system, think severe food poisoning complete with hospital trips, I have entirely too many medical issues, I'm praying that these "co-morbidities" go away with the weight.

I hope so for you as well!

The only thing is I do supplement Biotin, and thats just because I had a very traumatic experience around 4 months PO that made my Hair loss accelerate, but that is an optional thing I added

2 hours ago, ElleRodri said:

I know scrambled eggs will be one of my go-to's for a quick Protein snack because they're already my quick Protein haha. I did what everyone said not to do and got a bunch of different protein supplements (i.e. shake powders, 2 oz shots, and "clear" beverage-type protein in liquid and powder. Just wanted to see what is and isn't going to work and how much I'm going to have to adjust my lifestyle. I feel like I'm going to be tied to a clock with having to space things out like Iron and Calcium. I'm already hesitant about a lot of meat because I have difficulty swallowing but KNOWING like really knowing and understanding how big your pouch is and what it will actually hold is probably a godsend and will save you some grief as you progress. I've been trying to pick up a little bit of this and that in preparation for it because I know when the time comes for it I'll be broke since I'll be missing a week of work if I'm not able to move around again quickly. But everyone says they're up and moving within a few days so I'm hopeful to only miss 3-4 days at the office, and I have a sedentary job that I can do from home, so that helps.

The stalls get longer the further you get into the post op process. My first one (from my first surgery) was 1 week, then the next was 2 weeks, then 3 weeks, then 3 weeks again, then 4 weeks, then 5 weeks. After that, I didn't really have any, but the weight loss slows way down. I had the revision from sleeve to bypass because of gerd, but it doesn't seem to have helped so far. I'm hoping it will start to improve, but so far, I'm still in the same boat I was in pre-surgery. I can definitely say I missed 2 weeks of work with the sleeve and had A LOT of pain. With the revision to bypass, I was pain free after 4 days and moving around easily. I kind of wish I had just done the bypass to begin with, because the sleeve has caused me way more problems than it solved.