Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2023 Surgery Buddies!

25 minutes ago, Kat said:

Is anyone else still having trouble eating real food. For the most part I am still eating soft foods. When I try to eat anything else I get that feeling of the food being stuck and end up in pain.

No, I wish other than the pain..unfortunately or fortunately I've had no issues. Not even feeling "full"

6 hours ago, jeannettebloom@gmail.com said:

Happy New Year Everyone‼️

I want to hear how everyone is doing with the Hair loss. I’m experiencing significant hair shedding. Is anyone else??

Let me know what you are doing and how long is it happening?

Thanks

Happy New Year! And oh my goodness, yes the hair shedding has been crazy for me too. I am trying not to worry too much about it because I heard it is normal due to trauma of the surgery and the nutritional changes, and that it might come back in thicker than before. I also heard that some ended up with wavy hair who used to have straight hair before surgery. I am keeping my fingers crossed for some wavy hair, because mine wouldn't hold a curl for nothing! But at the end of the day as long as it slows down shedding and comes back a little fuller, I will be happy.

I make sure to get my BCAAs/Collagen in at least once day, and of course my daily Multivitamin. My 3 month blood labs looked good overall according to my surgeon's office, so I haven't added any extra Biotin at this time. I do take a B-12 twice a week.

Keep us posted how the hair shedding goes for you.

Take Care,

Maia03

I know exactly how you’re feeling! I get the feeling of food being stuck in my stomach pouch. It’s very uncomfortable. The only thing that makes it feel better is throwing up. I’m okay with soft foods (mashed potatoes, oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, pudding, Protein shakes). The only solid food that I’m confident in eating is Ritz Toasted chips. I can stuff myself with those chips and dip and have no problems. Only recently have I been able to handle chicken, and even then, I have to be careful. Beef still gives me problems, although ground is better. I have to try the trick where you add Water to ground beef.

On 01/16/2024 at 08:58, Victoria Wank said:

I know exactly how you’re feeling! I get the feeling of food being stuck in my stomach pouch. It’s very uncomfortable. The only thing that makes it feel better is throwing up. I’m okay with soft foods (mashed potatoes, oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, pudding, Protein shakes). The only solid food that I’m confident in eating is Ritz Toasted chips. I can stuff myself with those chips and dip and have no problems. Only recently have I been able to handle chicken, and even then, I have to be careful. Beef still gives me problems, although ground is better. I have to try the trick where you add Water to ground beef.

Thanks! I was worried it was just me!

Hi I was 15th August too it’s been pretty hard as had alot of nausea and sickness but I’m getting there now how you doing x

I too have had a fair amount of nausea and the thought of eating meat yuck. I did find a great way to get my Protein and collagen. I make Jello cubes with unflavored beef Gelatin (all protein and collagen) Water, unsweetened kool-aid packets, monk sugar and Allulose. Chill then cut into cubes. Makes a fantastic snack plus it turns into a liquid. I've lost 4 lbs in 5 days where I was stuck, not losing and struggling to get my protein and water in. Not anymore. I'm hoping my hair stops falling out soon with the added collagen.

We all need to find what works for us. I'm so glad I finally found a way as I'm working to get new knees. 17 lbs away from qualifying.

Best of luck to you

Anyone else at 5 months noticing the weight loss is slowing down? In the last 3 months (my scale averages it out) I've lost 20.4lbs. From December to today 3.8lbs - less than a pound a week!! I'm not happy. I do exactly as I was told:

1. No more than 800 calories

2. No more than 50 carbs

3. Low calories, low low sugar, low low fat

4. Drink the equivalent of Lake Superior every day

5. I'm always active, stairs, dog walks, cleaning, treadmill, Occulus, etc etc...

6. Take all my Vitamins

I didn't go through surgery, liquid diets, being hungry all the time (including now) to have weight loss come to a screeching snails pace this soon after surgery! Is there such a thing as a complete slow down/stall 3-4 month post op for several months?

I worry because everyone says its "normal" to slow down at 6 months..but this started at 4, what will happen at 6?

26 minutes ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

Anyone else at 5 months noticing the weight loss is slowing down? In the last 3 months (my scale averages it out) I've lost 20.4lbs. From December to today 3.8lbs - less than a pound a week!! I'm not happy. I do exactly as I was told:

1. No more than 800 calories

2. No more than 50 carbs

3. Low calories, low low sugar, low low fat

4. Drink the equivalent of Lake Superior every day

5. I'm always active, stairs, dog walks, cleaning, treadmill, Occulus, etc etc...

6. Take all my Vitamins

I didn't go through surgery, liquid diets, being hungry all the time (including now) to have weight loss come to a screeching snails pace this soon after surgery! Is there such a thing as a complete slow down/stall 3-4 month post op for several months?

I worry because everyone says its "normal" to slow down at 6 months..but this started at 4, what will happen at 6?

I get your frustration. I gained 5 lbs after Christmas and it just wasn't coming off. Last week I graduated off of Hint Water and can now drink any water however I did change my diet. I know this is going to sound weird but it worked for me and I'll be 67 in a few weeks. I eat high Protein, no sugar, sweetened with erythritol yogurt then my coffee with a small amount of sweetened flavored Creamer and whipping cream. lunch is usually a Protein Bar and a cheese stick. Protein bar is sweetened with the erythrirol.. Then the snacking begins - I make Jello cubes out of unflavored beef Gelatin, monk sugar and Allulose, unsweetened kool aid and water. I make it thick and cut into 1/2" cubes. Place a hefty serving into a baggy and I can eat as many as I want. I snack from 3 til 8 on jello cubes, not non stop but maybe 3 baggies worth. I too was hungry all the time until I started eating the jello cubes. IDK why it works but in 5 days I lost 6 lbs. I pee non stop but that's ok with me. My jello cubes are about 35 calories a baggy but it's all protein and if you take a tryptophan with it it becomes a complete protein plus its tons of collagen. I've lost a lot of hair the past 6 weeks so trying to fight that. My surgery was 8/14 and so far I've lost 91 pounds (lost 45 before my surgery). I need new knees something awful so highly motivated. 17 lbs to go. I did join the gym 2 weeks ago in preparation for the new knees. Gotta get these old legs strong again. I hope things break for you soon.

1 hour ago, Peggy Anne said:

I get your frustration. I gained 5 lbs after Christmas and it just wasn't coming off. Last week I graduated off of Hint Water and can now drink any Water however I did change my diet. I know this is going to sound weird but it worked for me and I'll be 67 in a few weeks. I eat high Protein, no sugar, sweetened with erythritol yogurt then my coffee with a small amount of sweetened flavored Creamer and whipping cream. lunch is usually a Protein Bar and a cheese stick. Protein bar is sweetened with the erythrirol.. Then the snacking begins - I make Jello cubes out of unflavored beef Gelatin, monk sugar and Allulose, unsweetened kool aid and water. I make it thick and cut into 1/2" cubes. Place a hefty serving into a baggy and I can eat as many as I want. I snack from 3 til 8 on Jello cubes, not non stop but maybe 3 baggies worth. I too was hungry all the time until I started eating the jello cubes. IDK why it works but in 5 days I lost 6 lbs. I pee non stop but that's ok with me. My jello cubes are about 35 calories a baggy but it's all protein and if you take a tryptophan with it it becomes a complete protein plus its tons of collagen. I've lost a lot of hair the past 6 weeks so trying to fight that. My surgery was 8/14 and so far I've lost 91 pounds (lost 45 before my surgery). I need new knees something awful so highly motivated. 17 lbs to go. I did join the gym 2 weeks ago in preparation for the new knees. Gotta get these old legs strong again. I hope things break for you soon.

I appreciate you responding and your suggestions. I don't know about beef jello..I have texture eating issues. Is it just like regular jello? My day goes like this:

Breakfast:

coffee w/heavy cream (1 tsp), my multivitamin chew, 1 Calcium chew, .5 mg taurine, 2.8 grams magnesium glutamate, 2 tsp collagen protein w/hyaluronic acid all in my coffee, 1 pro/prebiotic

3 strips turkey bacon at 30 calories each and one egg or 2 egg white egg bites with 1/2 teaspoon red pepper

Lunch:

1/2 cup turkey chili w/mushrooms and teaspoon G. Hughs chili Thai dipping sauce (no sugar 5 calories 2 carbs) with 1 tablespoon Fage Greek yogurt or Atkins protein bar.

Dinner:

Fairlife Core Elite Protein Drink (42 grams) or above chili 1/2 cup or 3oz chicken breast w/broccoli florets - 2

IF I have a snack: its .5 cup fair life chocolate elite core creami protein ice cream 10+- protein grams.

This is all I eat for a max of 800 calories. I lost 21lbs before surgery (started diet before surgery May 29th) and lost 50lbs since surgery on August 21 to today. I just don't understand why I've only lost 21 lbs in three months and only 3.8lbs this last month.

So maybe super embarrassing but no one told me I'll be sitting on cooter and butt bone when losing weight, their is no padding down there. 😭😭😭

On 1/21/2024 at 7:53 PM, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

I appreciate you responding and your suggestions. I don't know about beef jello..I have texture eating issues. Is it just like regular Jello? My day goes like this:

Breakfast:

coffee w/heavy cream (1 tsp), my Multivitamin chew, 1 Calcium chew, .5 mg taurine, 2.8 grams magnesium glutamate, 2 tsp collagen Protein w/hyaluronic acid all in my coffee, 1 pro/prebiotic

3 strips turkey bacon at 30 calories each and one egg or 2 egg white egg bites with 1/2 teaspoon red pepper

Lunch:

1/2 cup turkey chili w/mushrooms and teaspoon G. Hughs chili Thai dipping sauce (no sugar 5 calories 2 carbs) with 1 tablespoon Fage Greek yogurt or Atkins protein bar.

Dinner:

Fairlife Core Elite Protein Drink (42 grams) or above chili 1/2 cup or 3oz chicken breast w/broccoli florets - 2

IF I have a snack: its .5 cup fair life chocolate elite core creami protein ice cream 10+- protein grams.

This is all I eat for a max of 800 calories. I lost 21lbs before surgery (started diet before surgery May 29th) and lost 50lbs since surgery on August 21 to today. I just don't understand why I've only lost 21 lbs in three months and only 3.8lbs this last month.

I can't see why the weight isn't falling off for you. Dang, you certainly are eating very lean and low calorie. Seems unfair. I'm clearly nobody to give advice since I ballooned to nearly 350. I only know for my body and if I hit a stall I have to eat a bigger amount for one day then back down to low calories and it seems to jolt my system into more weight loss.

My sister had gastric bypass - lost 85lbs and starved herself on cabbage to get down to the 100lbs loss so she could get her knees replaced. Once replaced and she started eating a normal (for us) diet and gained the 15 lbs back but has maintained her weight for the past 3 years.

Th beef Gelatin has no flavor, none. I can't eat sugar free jello due to the sweeteners they put in it. Many sweeteners are inflammatory and due to my super bad knees I can't stand any inflammation of that kind. If those products don't bother you then you could do sugar free jello, add some extra unflavored beef protein and have a tasty snack.

I should add some foods make me retain Water - like any Tomato product and any wheat or rice. I've no clue why but if I eat those my feet, ankles and lower legs swell. I've been eating mostly paleo for the past 7 years.

Has the Dr given any explanation? Any advice? My dietitian keeps telling me we are losing inches not necessarily pounds. I call BS. All I know is I have 17 more pounds to lose to get new knees. After that I hope to lose another 60 so my hubby can buy me a face lift (he doesn't know it yet) SURPRISE DEAR LOL

LMAO - If I weighed 80 lbs I'd still have a big butt. That sucker follows me where ever I go LOL

55 minutes ago, Peggy Anne said:

LMAO - If I weighed 80 lbs I'd still have a big butt. That sucker follows me where ever I go LOL

Mine would if it wasn't so saggy now! "Has the Dr given any explanation? Any advice? My dietitian keeps telling me we are losing inches not necessarily pounds. I call BS. All I know is I have 17 more pounds to lose to get new knees. After that I hope to lose another 60 so my hubby can buy me a face lift (he doesn't know it yet) SURPRISE DEAR LOL"

I see my doctor next month for my 6 month check in and in two weeks my blood tests. It will be with the dietician, to be honest she's seemed kinda pointless. Just says you're eating as you should...perhaps add some fruit, to which I explained again when I eat carbs my heart races and fruit is high in fructose soooo. Then she'll suggest something like those nasty palm heart noodles, boy those were a mistake..again texture issues. It was like eating a bowl of slimy rubber bands.

She gave me a G7 to monitor my blood sugars after the fruit discussion oh joy! I agree with the inches vs. pounds being BS. Last time I checked fat or "inches" weigh something. You can't lose inches without weight - unless I'm packing on muscle (weighs 7 times more than fat) but I assure you that's NOT it!

Lolol "surprise dear" face lift, I love it! 😆😂😆 17 lbs should go quick for you and you'll have new knees soon enough! Thank you for the laugh, at this point it is well appreciated!

55 minutes ago, Peggy Anne said:

1 hour ago, Angela Read said:

So maybe super embarrassing but no one told me I'll be sitting on cooter and butt bone when losing weight, their is no padding down there. 😭😭😭

Yeah...my butt hurts now! I just have to replace it with muscle so I have something to sit on!

I still have more weight to lose but yes, sitting in my changing body is more uncomfortable than I anticipated. Even in a relatively comfy chair.