Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2023 Surgery Buddies!

10 hours ago, BlondePatriotinCDA said:

I feel your pain...the Water consumption along with the waiting before and after eating makes it a chore trying to get the large amount of liquids in..especially because I'm not thirsty. I keep waiting for the intolerance to foods, the feeling of full (yes, I'm aware it takes months for the nerves to regenerate to fill "full") something that would keep me from wanting to eat other than I didn't go through all this to not lose weight. Add on top of that I've not lost any weight for 10 days - I've about had enough! Yes, I'm getting my Protein in, no I'm not over eating (1/4 cup max each meal 2 meals with one high Protein shake) its just stuck!

I know I'm supposed to let the program work..but hey!! I'm doing my part..when does it do its part? 😋 So, yeah I feel your pain!

Most, if not all, of us have experienced a stall in weight loss not long after having the surgery. Check your bowels; you may be constipated. Just stick with the program. Talk to your surgeon, if you don’t see progress. I did that and discovered that I had had only the first of several procedures in my revision surgery.

5 hours ago, Victoria **** said:

Most, if not all, of us have experienced a stall in weight loss not long after having the surgery. Check your bowels; you may be constipated. Just stick with the program. Talk to your surgeon, if you don’t see progress. I did that and discovered that I had had only the first of several procedures in my revision surgery.

Thank you for responding! My bowel movements are daily so that isn't the issue. I've read stalls are common, but I wasn't expecting one only 3 weeks post op!

May I ask, you said you checked with your doctor when you had a stall? Then you had a revision? I had a RNY, what more could they revise at that point?

I'm sticking with the program..don't really have a choice even if I didn't want too...major surgery done..no going back. 😋 I know its fairly common to experience these stalls, but, it doesn't make it easier its still frustrating!

2 minutes ago, BlondePatriotinCDA said:

Thank you for responding! My bowel movements are daily so that isn't the issue. I've read stalls are common, but I wasn't expecting one only 3 weeks post op!

May I ask, you said you checked with your doctor when you had a stall? Then you had a revision? I had a RNY, what more could they revise at that point?

I'm sticking with the program..don't really have a choice even if I didn't want too...major surgery done..no going back. 😋 I know its fairly common to experience these stalls, but, it doesn't make it easier its still frustrating!

I too had a stall (RNY) and was shocked because my food consumption was almost nothing. I checked with the surgery NP and was told this is quite common because my body was focused on healing not losing weight at this point. Once I started eating more and after about 5 weeks post surgery I started losing ~ 2 lbs a week. Seems slow but I'll take it.

I Just keep plugging along and we will get there. I was so hoping for new knees by Christmas but at this rate (I still have 40 lbs to lose to be at required BMI) I guess it'll be by early Spring, hopefully.

5 minutes ago, Peggy Anne said:

I too had a stall (RNY) and was shocked because my food consumption was almost nothing. I checked with the surgery NP and was told this is quite common because my body was focused on healing not losing weight at this point. Once I started eating more and after about 5 weeks post surgery I started losing ~ 2 lbs a week. Seems slow but I'll take it.

I Just keep plugging along and we will get there. I was so hoping for new knees by Christmas but at this rate (I still have 40 lbs to lose to be at required BMI) I guess it'll be by early Spring, hopefully.

Congrats on getting past the stall! I hope you get your "new" knees soon!

I really don't understand the reason the nurse gave you tho, yes your body is/was healing, but, with minimal eating AND healing your body should be not only using what the minimal meals you're eating to heal but whatever reserves you may have i.e. fat aka weight - which usually means more weight loss not less. Sorry, just my working in healthcare along with my past physiology schooling at odds with that reason...it may be true, it just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe someone can explain it to me?!

7 hours ago, BlondePatriotinCDA said:

It’s a very different situation. I had RNY back in 2004. I lost a lot of weight and maintained it for 18 months. Then it started creeping back on. When I was finally ready for a revision (somewhere around 2014-ish, different team), the team kept losing my endoscopy results. I finally lost interest. In the last few years, I’ve felt ready to try again. My insurance has changed, as have revision methods. My insurance approved a procedure called Endoscopy with Argon Plasma Coagulation. They make the opening to the stomach pouch smaller by zapping it and creating scar tissue, making it smaller. I had the first procedure in 2022. Unfortunately, the surgeon didn’t tell me that there were more to come. No one reached out to schedule the next procedure. I assumed that the revision consisted of that one procedure. That’s why I thought the revision wasn’t working for me. When I spoke with my surgeon, she was surprised that I had done as well as I had with just that one time, as well as the fact that no one had contacted me to schedule the next procedure. I’ve had the second procedure, and I have continued to lose weight. I know the stalls are maddening, and if it continues for more than a few weeks, talk to your surgeon.

25 minutes ago, Victoria **** said:

It’s a very different situation. I had RNY back in 2004. I lost a lot of weight and maintained it for 18 months. Then it started creeping back on. When I was finally ready for a revision (somewhere around 2014-ish, different team), the team kept losing my endoscopy results. I finally lost interest. In the last few years, I’ve felt ready to try again. My insurance has changed, as have revision methods. My insurance approved a procedure called Endoscopy with Argon Plasma Coagulation. They make the opening to the stomach pouch smaller by zapping it and creating scar tissue, making it smaller. I had the first procedure in 2022. Unfortunately, the surgeon didn’t tell me that there were more to come. No one reached out to schedule the next procedure. I assumed that the revision consisted of that one procedure. That’s why I thought the revision wasn’t working for me. When I spoke with my surgeon, she was surprised that I had done as well as I had with just that one time, as well as the fact that no one had contacted me to schedule the next procedure. I’ve had the second procedure, and I have continued to lose weight. I know the stalls are maddening, and if it continues for more than a few weeks, talk to your surgeon.

Wow, you've been through a lot! I've never heard of a revision like that before, nor that they did further revisions once you had the rny! What you described is my major fear, to have the surgery then have it creep back on despite me following all the rules!

Thank you for sharing, yes it is maddening..I have my 6 week next week, I plan on discussing it with them at that time!

14 hours ago, hrhdiana said:

Does anyone know if Kaiser will cover plastic surgery after Bariatric surgery?

I would doubt that any insurance company would cover all plastic surgery. It’s generally considered to be cosmetic.

3 minutes ago, tynisha said:

My weight loss has been slow but happening. My doctor seems pleased. Some members of my family are supportive others aren’t. Curious to hear about others.

Hi, I’ve also been slow but steady. I’m down 46 lbs, started at 345.

I had some hives week 2, but those went away. No other issues. The diet has been easy to adjust to. I’ve even gone back to coffee every morning, just less. Helps with #2!

I find myself eating a lot of Greek yogurt because it’s easiest on my stomach but high in Protein. Rotisserie chicken, stewed sirloin chunks, salads, eggs and bacon.

Hello everyone, my weight loss is steady, down 52lbs. I’m also back to coffee. No food intolerance, ( iceberg lettuce gave me gas ) walking 1.5 miles every morning. Wife and family are supportive. Mainly eating salads and chicken. Good work everyone. You got this!

I’ve gone from 233 to 195, 38 pounds. I appreciate having visuble collarbones again. Weight is just melting off.

I still have a Protein Shake every day, and then I’m eating almost entirely Protein otherwise, but occasionally sneak in a little bit of something else, like today I had two tacos and I ate the corn tortillas.

I haven’t had any particular problems except for getting in enough Water. I am really not doing well with that. I have also started drinking coffee coffee and that helps to get more liquids in.

I always biked a few miles every day and I’m continuing that but I start Pilates next month as well.

Surgery was 8/25

I’ve lost 34.4lbs - and last week finally got to see a 1 on the scale for the first number instead of a 2!

Weighing in at 198.0 exactly!

I’m either doing good on my Water, or good on my Protein - it’s really a struggle for me to do both in the same day.

Unfortunately personal issues have come up and I haven’t been as active as I’ve wanted to be, but hope that changes in the next week or so. It’s cooling down in Florida, too, so hopefully I can get outside more!

I am scared to try new foods - I’ve done relatively well, but the thought of adding grains in, or anything not protein freaks me out. I know it won’t derail me, but I feel like it’s a slippery slope and I would hate to slide backwards at all - would feel like such a failure.

Surgery was 8/25

I’ve lost 34.4lbs - and last week finally got to see a 1 on the scale for the first number instead of a 2!

Weighing in at 198.0 exactly!

I’m either doing good on my Water, or good on my Protein - it’s really a struggle for me to do both in the same day.

Unfortunately personal issues have come up and I haven’t been as active as I’ve wanted to be, but hope that changes in the next week or so. It’s cooling down in Florida, too, so hopefully I can get outside more!

I am scared to try new foods - I’ve done relatively well, but the thought of adding grains in, or anything not protein freaks me out. I know it won’t derail me, but I feel like it’s a slippery slope and I would hate to slide backwards at all - would feel like such a failure.