Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2023 Surgery Buddies!

1 hour ago, ShooterInTheSix said:

It's my 'last weekend'. Surgery is on Monday at 2:15pm (hospital check-in at 11:00am). Here goes nothing...or everything 🤷‍♂️

While you may be on a surgical pre-op diet(some do some don’t apparently) if I had it to do over I’d have eaten my popcorn and potato chips and a whole dominos pizza a few days before 🤪js

On 8/24/2023 at 10:52 PM, Shan0 said:

Anyone having food dreams? I had my bypass on the 15th and I’m not hungry and don’t really care about food. But today I had this funny dream about my husband bringing me nachos and we both just forgot all the limitations. I ate some and then I freaked out because I thought it was going to cause some sort of catastrophe. I woke up laughing about it.

OMG, some of the food dreams I have had right before and since my surgery have been crazy- me eating lots of Pasta and pizza and chocolate and oh gosh, candy and snack bars. Grabbing handfuls of the things and stuffing them in my mouth 😂

On 8/25/2023 at 6:08 AM, Peggy Anne said:

I know the feeling well. I was so hungry the 5 days before I was given the OK to eat pureed food, then I made egg salad, eggs mayo mustard, it was ok but gave me terrible bloating. Never touched it again. Been eating instant mashed potatoes and Protein Drinks. I'm so hungry for real food. Wish I had a good understanding of what exactly I'm to do to make pureed chicken. Sounds very dry and ick to me.

Probably the best way to purée chicken is to blend it in a blender or food processor with chicken or other stock until it’s the texture you’re looking for. Add a thickening agent, such as tapioca flour, if needed. Yes, chicken meat can be dryer than other meats, but the dark meat is moister

On 8/10/2023 at 12:41 PM, Shanna NYC said:

Every body is different and tolerance for pain is different. I was definitely uncomfortable as so much movement relies on the core, but not in a huge unbearable pain way. I was given 6 Percocets of which I only took 3 - 1 pill at night just to sleep better as I couldn't sleep on my side and it was not the best sleep on my back. If i needed anything else daytime, I just took tylenol. I did not get crazy pain until week 2 and a half when the pulling in my side nearly knocked me out. However that was remedied with a binder that I wore for just a few days until the worst of it passed. Now at 4 months post-op I barely remember those days and would change nothing.

On 7/10/2023 at 11:42 PM, Shan0 said:

It’s great that there’s a cohort of us! I’m not on any sort of pre-diet yet really, but it will be starting soon. I’m happy about this, even though weight loss is only part of the reason I’m doing it. They’re addressing my Barrett’s Esophagus too, which will be a relief.

How are you all feeling?

I am just beginning my liquid diet. My surgery is Friday. Im quite nervous but at the same time quite excited. I hope it all goes smoothly

I'm almost 2 weeks post surgery. I'm feeling much better and starting to tolerate food somewhat. I managed to find a Protein Powder made with stevia and none of the sucralose which throws my joints into chaos. As long as I drink my Protein 3 times a day I'll feel alive the following day. Yesterday I ate something besides mashed potato's. Meatballs, spag sauce, ricotta and parm cheese all pureed into runny much. It was delish. Could only get 1/4 cup down at 10am and I stayed full the rest of the day. Tried to force another "feeding" in at 3pm and managed to bloat. Maybe ate 1/8 cup and had to quit. I hate the bloating. Burping seems a luxury these days. I have 2 more weeks of the puree stage. Weight loss is super slow at this point. I know that'll get better too especially as I can increase my "feedings". I look forward to a new life with new knees (I'm already halfway to new knees YAY).

Hi everyone! I’m having surgery Tuesday the 29th, anyone else? I’m so scared, not so much of going under, but what to expect afterwards. I feel like no matter how much you prepare for it, you’re never full prepared if that makes sense?

On 8/27/2023 at 7:31 AM, Peggy Anne said:

I'm almost 2 weeks post surgery. I'm feeling much better and starting to tolerate food somewhat. I managed to find a Protein Powder made with stevia and none of the sucralose which throws my joints into chaos. As long as I drink my Protein 3 times a day I'll feel alive the following day. Yesterday I ate something besides mashed potato's. Meatballs, spag sauce, ricotta and parm cheese all pureed into runny much. It was delish. Could only get 1/4 cup down at 10am and I stayed full the rest of the day. Tried to force another "feeding" in at 3pm and managed to bloat. Maybe ate 1/8 cup and had to quit. I hate the bloating. Burping seems a luxury these days. I have 2 more weeks of the puree stage. Weight loss is super slow at this point. I know that'll get better too especially as I can increase my "feedings". I look forward to a new life with new knees (I'm already halfway to new knees YAY).

You shouldn’t be experiencing a slow weight loss at only 2 weeks out, especially if this is the original bariatric surgery. Even with a revision, you shouldn’t be stalled (speaking as someone who has been). Looking at the ingredients in your meatball shake, though, I’m not surprised. The meatballs, ricotta and Parmesan are heavy, even though they’ve been blitzed. It sounds like you’re trying to move through the food stages to get to “regular” food again too quickly. This reminds me of a scene in an episode of “ER,” where a bariatric patient swore he was drinking his shakes. Turns out, the ingredients were pizza, an entire fried chicken dinner, and any kind of fast food you can think of, all blended in a blender. We all understand how it feels to be so desperate to get to solid-(ish) foods. The best thing we can do is follow the plan to the letter (and keep after the Constipation, that’ll weigh you down, too). Take care, and keep up the good work.

58 minutes ago, Victoria **** said:

You shouldn’t be experiencing a slow weight loss at only 2 weeks out, especially if this is the original bariatric surgery. Even with a revision, you shouldn’t be stalled (speaking as someone who has been). Looking at the ingredients in your meatball shake, though, I’m not surprised. The meatballs, ricotta and Parmesan are heavy, even though they’ve been blitzed. It sounds like you’re trying to move through the food stages to get to “regular” food again too quickly. This reminds me of a scene in an episode of “ER,” where a bariatric patient swore he was drinking his shakes. Turns out, the ingredients were pizza, an entire fried chicken dinner, and any kind of fast food you can think of, all blended in a blender. We all understand how it feels to be so desperate to get to solid-(ish) foods. The best thing we can do is follow the plan to the letter (and keep after the Constipation, that’ll weigh you down, too). Take care, and keep up the good work.

I think I misspoke, I did lose 3 lbs week one (plus the 6 lbs of Water weight from 4 days of IV fluids) and 5 lbs week 2 in total 14 lbs but really I shouldn't count the water so 8lbs. My sister reminded me this very morning that an 8 lb loss in 2 weeks is amazing. I always want to hurry up and wait. As for the meatball recipe it was 1 of 4 recommended recipes except I added the ricotta trying to get my Protein up. I'm supposed to be eating 5 to 6 servings of 2 oz of meat a day and I can't seem to get past 1 1/2. So far I can do one meal and 2 Protein Shakes or visa versa. I fear my metabolism will stall if I can't get more in but for now it's day by day.

I appreciate the input though. Everyone is so helpful in this group and I'm loving it. :)

1 hour ago, Peggy Anne said:

I think I misspoke, I did lose 3 lbs week one (plus the 6 lbs of Water weight from 4 days of IV fluids) and 5 lbs week 2 in total 14 lbs but really I shouldn't count the Water so 8lbs. My sister reminded me this very morning that an 8 lb loss in 2 weeks is amazing. I always want to hurry up and wait. As for the meatball recipe it was 1 of 4 recommended recipes except I added the ricotta trying to get my Protein up. I'm supposed to be eating 5 to 6 servings of 2 oz of meat a day and I can't seem to get past 1 1/2. So far I can do one meal and 2 Protein Shakes or visa versa. I fear my metabolism will stall if I can't get more in but for now it's day by day.

I appreciate the input though. Everyone is so helpful in this group and I'm loving it. :)

Peggy Anne, I feel your pain. I'm supposed to move from pureed to more soft foods this week. I have stalled in my weight loss but I also have a thyroid issue now apparently. My dr did a blood check last week and my t4free is low but I quit my Levothyroxine at the time of the surgery bc they told me the thyroid was too high at that point...smh.

For the last week I've been so tired I can barely walk, and then I developed a rash on the thyroid area of my neck and other thyroid symptoms so I started the meds back a couple of days ago but they still haven't helped. I called the nurse at my surgeon's office to ask if they had seen my results (i got them the next day) and she said basically she could make me an appointment but that really isn't their issue? I guess she wanted me to see my primary care dr but since I don't actually HAVE A REGULAR DR I told her I'm seeing my nephrologist tomorrow and I'd see if he could tell me what to do.

I'm kind of like Why am I following up with the surgeon at all bc apparently if there is an issue, he won't handle it so I'm going to get labs done and sent to him to tell me to see a regular dr.????

About your meatballs....I had 1/4 lb of ground beef I cooked w./brown gravy and put over some mashed potatoes that stayed down so I took out a 1 lb pack of 12 frozen, pre-made meatballs last night that I thought I'd cook down in some spaghetti sauce. Didn't consider adding cheese but I thought I'd cook meatballs in the air fryer and then drain well and add to some store bought sauce. I am missing vegetables, carbs too like rice, breads, potatoes, etc. but the veg is almost a craving since I haven't had anything green in 30 days. I'm maybe eating 2-3 times a day, I also tried a piece of baked tilapia with butter and seasonings that stayed down well with no issues.

It seems anything without a sauce or gravy causes issues, nothing too dry. Other than that I seem to be progressing along in the healing up process. Now if I can just get the strength back and walk across the room ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:)

Hello everyone, I had my surgery, the sleeve, on 8-10. I feel I have done well except for fatigue. Returned to work today. I will be able to move to soft foods on Thursday. I have been on full liquids since my surgery. I never want to see Soup ever again!

21 minutes ago, PennyinAL said:

Peggy Anne, I feel your pain. I'm supposed to move from pureed to more soft foods this week. I have stalled in my weight loss but I also have a thyroid issue now apparently. My dr did a blood check last week and my t4free is low but I quit my Levothyroxine at the time of the surgery bc they told me the thyroid was too high at that point...smh.

For the last week I've been so tired I can barely walk, and then I developed a rash on the thyroid area of my neck and other thyroid symptoms so I started the meds back a couple of days ago but they still haven't helped. I called the nurse at my surgeon's office to ask if they had seen my results (i got them the next day) and she said basically she could make me an appointment but that really isn't their issue? I guess she wanted me to see my primary care dr but since I don't actually HAVE A REGULAR DR I told her I'm seeing my nephrologist tomorrow and I'd see if he could tell me what to do.

I'm kind of like Why am I following up with the surgeon at all bc apparently if there is an issue, he won't handle it so I'm going to get labs done and sent to him to tell me to see a regular dr.????

About your meatballs....I had 1/4 lb of ground beef I cooked w./brown gravy and put over some mashed potatoes that stayed down so I took out a 1 lb pack of 12 frozen, pre-made meatballs last night that I thought I'd cook down in some spaghetti sauce. Didn't consider adding cheese but I thought I'd cook meatballs in the air fryer and then drain well and add to some store bought sauce. I am missing vegetables, carbs too like rice, breads, potatoes, etc. but the veg is almost a craving since I haven't had anything green in 30 days. I'm maybe eating 2-3 times a day, I also tried a piece of baked tilapia with butter and seasonings that stayed down well with no issues.

It seems anything without a sauce or gravy causes issues, nothing too dry. Other than that I seem to be progressing along in the healing up process. Now if I can just get the strength back and walk across the room ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:)

Hi Penny,

I ended up with low potassium after surgery and had to stay in the hospital on those awful beds and few extra days and then told to go see my primary care doc, who is great. Love my PCP.

Eating is hard - just had chicken salad puree for lunch - it's all I can do to stomach it. Kind of gross.

I hope you can get your thyroid under control and soon. I would think it would play a big part in weight loss.

I only feel better when I drink my Protein Shakes otherwise I have no brain function nor energy. I actually felt good yesterday with extra energy, I was shocked. Today I'm a bit laggy because for whatever reason I'm not longer getting past 5 or 6 hours of sleep at night. I'm lucky because at 66, I'm retired and my hubby is very neat so there isn't much demand on me. I am trying to get back into crafting but that's hardly demanding lol. I have a end of Nov show to build stock for. I can take my time.

Wishing you well and not to hard of days at work.

Just think a year from now we'll be a lot smaller and for me new knees!!!

3 hours ago, Peggy Anne said:

I think I misspoke, I did lose 3 lbs week one (plus the 6 lbs of Water weight from 4 days of IV fluids) and 5 lbs week 2 in total 14 lbs but really I shouldn't count the Water so 8lbs. My sister reminded me this very morning that an 8 lb loss in 2 weeks is amazing. I always want to hurry up and wait. As for the meatball recipe it was 1 of 4 recommended recipes except I added the ricotta trying to get my Protein up. I'm supposed to be eating 5 to 6 servings of 2 oz of meat a day and I can't seem to get past 1 1/2. So far I can do one meal and 2 Protein Shakes or visa versa. I fear my metabolism will stall if I can't get more in but for now it's day by day.

Thank you for clarifying and for reminding me about water weight. Yesterday my scale told me I had gained 4 pounds. I couldn’t figure it out, until I remembered that I had been receiving IV fluids for almost 48 hours when I was in the hospital (not surgery-related).

On 8/27/2023 at 2:24 PM, Danielle07 said:

Hi everyone! I’m having surgery Tuesday the 29th, anyone else? I’m so scared, not so much of going under, but what to expect afterwards. I feel like no matter how much you prepare for it, you’re never full prepared if that makes sense?

That makes total sense to me. I am 19 days out, and I felt prepared before surgery. However, the restrictions, the effort to get in fluids, the different sensations, the lack of solid food, the changes in the internal plumbing... I could not have prepared for any of that. One must experience these things to really understand them.

That's one reason that I am very grateful for this support forum! So many people can understand where you have been and where you are going. There are people here who are 10+ years out, and they are still very willing to share their wisdom and experiences for us newbies.

I'm sending you internet hugs and so many well wishes for tomorrow! It is rough at first, but every single day does get a little bit better

Edited by BeanitoDiego
clearer wording