Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 7/20/2023 at 1:56 PM, NCL04321 said:

I dont think the surgery fails as much as we the people fail! I also suggest using the baritastic app for tracking everything you put in your mouth. Sometimes we don't realize how much we are actually eating in a day. I would rather eat my carbs than drink them. You will be more full from food carbs rather than liquid carbs. A lot of the juices, even the one's we are giving our kids because we think they are healthy, are in fact not healthy. Also if you are working out, remember muscle weighs more than fat. On the baritastic app it lets you keep track of measurements such as arms, thighs chest, hips and waist. Maybe measure yourself and keep track of that monthly. You will see a difference in inches lost. That is great encouragement. Good luck to you on your journey!

It has helped me tremendously on my journey to think of anything with calories as food, even if it's a liquid. Water, sugar free sports drinks, plain tea, black coffee, etc are beverages. Milk, juice, etc, in my world are Snacks and are treated and logged as such.

Definitely track what you eat and drink. And decide what you would rather have with carbs in it. Do you want to eat your carbs or drink them? Personally, I prefer to eat them. Yummier options and you get full faster.

On 7/17/2023 at 7:37 AM, Brandiwine77 said:

Hey there. The Birmingham area. My surgeon was Dr. William Wood with Alabama Weight Loss Surgery.

I had my surgery in Birmingham. It was with Dr Schmitt at St Vincents east.

15 minutes ago, T O P said:

I had my surgery in Birmingham. It was with Dr Schmitt at St Vincents east.

Awesome! You're just a bit earlier than me as I had mine on 6/7.

I am down to 320 now. I think i am hitting certain Plateau periods I have been told about. Are they Common

I know its been awhile since you originally posted this, but, upon reading it I was very surprised that you said you're diabetic and drink apply juice (Gerber or not)! Just 1/2 cup has:

60 calories

14 carbs

and 13 sugars!

That's a lot of sugars for the small quantity of 1/2 cup. I did Keto for a few years and that would have pushed me out of ketosis quick! I know each surgeon has their own plan, but I'm surprised yours allowed apple juice..or any juice since most are high is natural sugars. I was told absolutely no juices. I hope you've gotten it worked out!

On 9/30/2023 at 8:22 PM, BlondePatriotinCDA said:

I know its been awhile since you originally posted this, but, upon reading it I was very surprised that you said you're diabetic and drink apply juice (Gerber or not)! Just 1/2 cup has:

60 calories

14 carbs

and 13 sugars!

That's a lot of sugars for the small quantity of 1/2 cup. I did Keto for a few years and that would have pushed me out of ketosis quick! I know each surgeon has their own plan, but I'm surprised yours allowed apple juice..or any juice since most are high is natural sugars. I was told absolutely no juices. I hope you've gotten it worked out!

Only if my sugar gets low. My sugar levels now if I am not careful go to the 60s sometimes. But weight is still up and down and I am just through. So I consider it a failure. I have only lost 60 odd pounds

60 lbs in 5 months is amazing though. I hope you can continue to lose and improve your health OP. It does require a bit of jiggling of protein/carb ratio though as we progress. Hopefully your team can help you with that.

What's your current weight? Think your profile is stuck at your August stats.

I wish you the best of luck.

53 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

60 lbs in 5 months is amazing though. I hope you can continue to lose and improve your health OP. It does require a bit of jiggling of protein/carb ratio though as we progress. Hopefully your team can help you with that.

What's your current weight? Think your profile is stuck at your August stats.

I wish you the best of luck.

My current weight goes from 311 someday to 315. It was bouncing from 315 to 320. Sometimes it will go higher if I eat the wrong thing. I am still only able to eat like 2 bites of something.

11 hours ago, T O P said:

Only if my sugar gets low. My sugar levels now if I am not careful go to the 60s sometimes. But weight is still up and down and I am just through. So I consider it a failure. I have only lost 60 odd pounds

60 pounds since your surgery is great progress! Its a slow process..I know I've only lost 50 since starting the whole process in May plus surgery in August..so you're doing really well!

First we all fluctuate. It may be a pound or two or it might be more. Tracking your weight will allow you to see your natural fluctuation & help you recognise that versus weight gain.

Secondly, a 50 pound weight loss in about 5 months is great. Why do you think you are failing? Does your surgeon, dietician or team say you are failing? The only people who lose more than that in the first months are those who start at much higher weights than you like on My 600lb Life. They may start at losing 50lbs a month but that doesn’t last. Like everyone their rate of lose slows as they lose weight.

I echo others suggestion of tracking everything you put in your mouth - solid or liquid - ensuring you weigh & measure everything. Do it for a few weeks, then discuss your food records with your dietician to check you aren’t missing something or confirm you are on the right track.

PS - Real fruit is always a better choice than fruit juice. You get more nutrients, better fibre & still get fructose as a natural sugar to help with your diabetes.

Just remember you must must Protein & Water fluids thru ,water will sit if you stop drinking it & body will retain Fluid just switch up your drink routine. Constantly doing same regimen & constantly eating same things you can get stuck in weight loss.. don’t stress it take some aloe Vera capsules to help with your bowel movements also , I started taking 2 first time & now 1 daily since my system change 10 1/2 yrs ago when my surgery took place..

On 10/26/2023 at 10:17 PM, Arabesque said:

First we all fluctuate. It may be a pound or two or it might be more. Tracking your weight will allow you to see your natural fluctuation & help you recognise that versus weight gain.

Secondly, a 50 pound weight loss in about 5 months is great. Why do you think you are failing? Does your surgeon, dietician or team say you are failing? The only people who lose more than that in the first months are those who start at much higher weights than you like on My 600lb Life. They may start at losing 50lbs a month but that doesn’t last. Like everyone their rate of lose slows as they lose weight.

I echo others suggestion of tracking everything you put in your mouth - solid or liquid - ensuring you weigh & measure everything. Do it for a few weeks, then discuss your food records with your dietician to check you aren’t missing something or confirm you are on the right track.

PS - Real fruit is always a better choice than fruit juice. You get more nutrients, better fibre & still get fructose as a natural sugar to help with your diabetes.

Why is that. I heard the bigger you are the more weight you lose but how and why. I thank God I got help before I hit even 400. I knew my weight was out of control even starting at 373 before my journey. I do pray for anyone at 600 to get help. I stress about my weight because of the health issues it has cost me and a lot of friends and family who judge and critized me for it.

It takes a lot of calories to maintain that heavier weight & for the body to function at that weight (just moving with that weight alone requires a lot of energy) & so the calorie deficit has a greater impact. It requires your body to burn more fat to get the energy it needs to function so there is a greater weight loss.

There is a percentage formula to help give you an idea of what weight loss you may expect (may not will) but I can’t recall what it is. Though I think they say you may expect to lose about 30% of your weight at three months. Say it says you’ll lose 10% of the weight you’re to lose in your first month. It you weigh 600lbs & are to lose 400lbs you might to lose 40lbs in the first month. Have a lower starting weight & are to lose 200lbs you might lose 20lbs.

Well, that’s my understanding. 😁

17 hours ago, T O P said:

Why is that. I heard the bigger you are the more weight you lose but how and why. I thank God I got help before I hit even 400. I knew my weight was out of control even starting at 373 before my journey. I do pray for anyone at 600 to get help. I stress about my weight because of the health issues it has cost me and a lot of friends and family who judge and critized me for it.

so, whats the update? Have you lost any more weight in the last couple of months?