Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's summer but one thing i did was make my regular chili recipe. (I like rotel in mine). After simmering, I used my immersion blender and pureed it. Was yummy and helped that wanting for "real" food.

I’m on day 17 post op, and I’ve regretted it (bypass) pretty much everyday since it was done. I don’t think I was truly prepared for this. And if given the chance I would reverse it. I’m so depressed. I’m scared my life will never go back to normal. I feel like it’s a mistake I just have to live with now, and that’s really hard. I cry everyday.

7 minutes ago, Jessica19922 said:

I’m on day 17 post op, and I’ve regretted it (bypass) pretty much everyday since it was done. I don’t think I was truly prepared for this. And if given the chance I would reverse it. I’m so depressed. I’m scared my life will never go back to normal. I feel like it’s a mistake I just have to live with now, and that’s really hard. I cry everyday.

Those first weeks are definitely hard. I was SOOO tired of liquid and puree and soft foods. But, it does get better. Especially as the weight comes off and health issues improve. The compliments are definitely confidence boosting.

Things that can help are talking to someone about how you're feeling. It's a very emotional time right now. I cried a lot too and my therapist was a tremendous help walking through all the emotions I was feeling.

Thank you for sharing.

6 hours ago, Jessica19922 said:

I'm sorry things feel so rough right now. It seems most people regret these operations at first because recovery is so miserable. But eventually things even out and the feeling eases and the weight loss starts. Please be gentle with yourself right now. Anesthesia can cause depression and takes a long time to work its way out of the system. Plus, your hormones are all over the place and that alone can make you depressed and weepy!

I agree with Lindsay, find someone you can talk to who can hear you out without being judgmental. Sometimes we need to get all that panic and fear out in the open so we can breathe a little. You feeling this way right now is perfectly normal... Take it one moment at a time and try to find something that will make you smile each day. When I had cancer I spent part of my recovery coloring in adult coloring books! Coloring in big, bold swear words was cathartic. 🤣

59 minutes ago, ChunkCat said:

Coloring in big, bold swear words was cathartic. 🤣

That made me smile. 😏

13 hours ago, LindsayT said:

Those first weeks are definitely hard. I was SOOO tired of liquid and puree and soft foods. But, it does get better. Especially as the weight comes off and health issues improve. The compliments are definitely confidence boosting.

Things that can help are talking to someone about how you're feeling. It's a very emotional time right now. I cried a lot too and my therapist was a tremendous help walking through all the emotions I was feeling.

Thank you for sharing.

thank you for your response. I’m an actually at a stall right now. Actually I’m two pounds up from a week ago. No idea how as I’ve followed instructions to a T. I can only guess it’s Constipation. I’m so frustrated. I also miss food so much even though I’m not hungry. It’s such a mind f**k. I do talk to my mom. That helps. And I just started sessions with a new therapist. I’m religious and prayer helps too. I hope things get better soon.

13 hours ago, LindsayT said:

7 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

I'm sorry things feel so rough right now. It seems most people regret these operations at first because recovery is so miserable. But eventually things even out and the feeling eases and the weight loss starts. Please be gentle with yourself right now. Anesthesia can cause depression and takes a long time to work its way out of the system. Plus, your hormones are all over the place and that alone can make you depressed and weepy!

I agree with Lindsay, find someone you can talk to who can hear you out without being judgmental. Sometimes we need to get all that panic and fear out in the open so we can breathe a little. You feeling this way right now is perfectly normal... Take it one moment at a time and try to find something that will make you smile each day. When I had cancer I spent part of my recovery coloring in adult coloring books! Coloring in big, bold swear words was cathartic. 🤣

Thank you for your response. I’m sorry to hear you had cancer and I hope things are better now! Thanks for telling me this is normal to feel this way. That helps to calm my fears a bit.

7 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

Thank you for your response. I’m sorry to hear you had cancer and I hope things are better now! Thanks for telling me this is normal to feel this way. That helps to calm my fears a bit.

2 hours ago, Jessica19922 said:

thank you for your response. I’m an actually at a stall right now. Actually I’m two pounds up from a week ago. No idea how as I’ve followed instructions to a T. I can only guess it’s Constipation. I’m so frustrated. I also miss food so much even though I’m not hungry. It’s such a mind f**k. I do talk to my mom. That helps. And I just started sessions with a new therapist. I’m religious and prayer helps too. I hope things get better soon.

Constipation or Water retention. Stalls are the worst. I stall often, about every 10 days, but I've still managed to lose a total of 63 lbs in about 4 months. Just stick with it.

The head hunger is no joke. It's really something I had to work through. And there are days that it's awful. I just try to keep busy.

My faith has played a huge part in this as well. Every bit of help, whether it's God, mom, therapist, friends or keeping busy is important.

1 minute ago, Victoria **** said:

Constipation is the “stall bringer.” Stalling every 10 days has been my experience also. You have to keep after it. Take Miralax daily, even if it’s a lower dosage. You might also ask your surgeon for a prescription for Lactulose.

I second the miralax. I have to keep up on the Constipation issue. Such a wonderful side effect...ugh.

Well I’m feeling the same way. I lost so much weight in order to get the surgery now I’m hardly losing. I’m very frustrated I feel like I’m starving for nothing. I can’t hardly drink now I have to go get Hydration through IV 2x per week. I gained 10 pounds of Water weight in one day. I’m almost 5 weeks out still waiting for that rainbow or not to regret my choice of having surgery.

5 hours ago, Nik Knack said:

Well I’m feeling the same way. I lost so much weight in order to get the surgery now I’m hardly losing. I’m very frustrated I feel like I’m starving for nothing. I can’t hardly drink now I have to go get Hydration through IV 2x per week. I gained 10 pounds of Water weight in one day. I’m almost 5 weeks out still waiting for that rainbow or not to regret my choice of having surgery.

If you lost a bunch of weight pre-surgery your loss post surgery may be slower for a little while. This is because the body has to recalibrate and reassure itself it isn't starving to death. It also has to replenish glycogen and rebalance your fluids and on and on. It's a lot of hard work for it!! And slow to one person is not slow to another person. I'm 6 weeks post op a DS and have lost 20 lbs. I did not lose much pre-op. I have been stalled for several weeks because that's the classic 3 week stall where the body does its thing to recalibrate to lose more weight. I'm not stressing about it, I just had a very major surgery! My body has been working hard! It takes time to recover.

You feel like you are starving because you aren't getting your fluids in by mouth. Trust me, once you are getting all your fluids in it becomes a challenge to find times to eat and drink everything you need in a day. Getting fluids by IV will keep making the scale jump by 10 lbs because they Fluid load you to last a few days. You are probably losing fat, it just isn't showing on the scales because of the IV fluids. Make sure you take measurements too, those often change when the scale doesn't. I wish you much luck in getting off the IVs!