Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 6/20/2023 at 3:34 PM, Heatherhei said:

Im 11 days post op and im kind of regretting this. I miss eating, and by that i mean chewing and having that flavor. everything i can eat right now is soft and bland. I cant wait till I have more options and maybe i wont be so down on it.

I’m 8 days in and I feel your pain! I was drawn to this forum bc I felt totally alone!

38 minutes ago, Dastodd2424 said:

I’m 8 days in and I feel your pain! I was drawn to this forum bc I felt totally alone!

It gets better guys it really does

On 6/20/2023 at 12:56 PM, LindsayT said:

Yep, I get it. My team recommended adding herbs and spices (not overly spicy) to my puree and soft foods so they were more enjoyable. Are you allowed to do that?

I was just going to suggest that. ( as it was to me ) Yes you can, as they said, not spicy , and low sodium. which everyone knows causes you to retain fluids. I am lucky I have never had an issue with that. I TOTALLY get the chewing, that is my biggest thing too.

Just remember that this is a healing phase and not your life. Eventually you will be able to enjoy food again and even more importantly you can enjoy life more fully by being healthier and more active AND you'll probably live longer and have less things to worry about like diabetes. Good luck!

18 hours ago, Flamingowatcher2023 said:

You just have to decide what your health is worth to you.

17 hours ago, Rebelk73 said:

We could wake up proud for taking steps to restore metabolic function,

1 hour ago, Texas90 said:

Just remember that this is a healing phase and not your life.

^^^Great quotes^^^

I had another bout of nausea last night and tried to sleep it off. Woke up with it. Uhhh. So, I made myself go for my morning mile walk. I kid you not, I was slower than a young guy that was there wearing a knee injury brace but I made it all the way around. Then I came home and took a nap.

I feel better but have to keep reminding myself not to force new foods too quickly. I need to stick with the ones I know my tummy can easily handle for now. If I have to stop eating solid foods and go back to soft/liquid foods for awhile , then so be it. We won't starve. We have plenty of stored up fat/energy to live off of for quite awhile. LOL Just get those liquids in.

I think the regrets are just mourning the loss of how and what we once ate and having our choice taken away. But then that's what we signed up for isn't it?

OK TO EVERYONE PIST SURGERY !!!!! Congratulations !!!! Give yourself a hand !!!!! It gets easier and easier and when you go from 285 to 141 you will be like ok I LOVE BARBIE CLOTHES 🤗For those of you that don’t exercise you will lose half of what you want to lose !!!!!! Start Water aerobics and do it 5-6 days a week you will be proud . For those of you who don’t you will stay at 180 and no smaller !!!!!
It’s a numbers game I had my surgery August 2014 started at 285 one year later 141 !!!! This is the time to put on your big girl panties and work harder then ever you have one year after your surgery to lose what ever your going to lose. !!!! You want pictures I will show you

I just posted but I haven’t a clue where it went !!!!

Big hugs to all of you struggling. It is hard definitely challenging inI the early days. I sailed through the first week and then liquid fatigue set in at about Day 10 - I couldn't stand the thought of broth or jelly anymore, nausea returned, I was sleeping a lot, I was crying and definitely feeling sorry for myself. As I entered the third week and I could eat things began to improve. Things are pretty good now as I approach 8 weeks out. I still worry about how I'll go long term, if I'll lose what I want to lose etc. I don't overstressed daily goals, I'm doing my best and that's all I can do at this point.

Hang in there and be kind to yourself and know that it'll all be worth it in the end.

When I had my original surgery, I added black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to my broths. It got me through the bland phase. I know it’s difficult the first few weeks until you can eat more solid food. What I’ve done with ricotta cheese, yogurt, sugar-free pudding and cottage cheese is to add Splenda and extracts or professional flavorings (like cake decorators use; I did some cake decorating). Missing pumpkin pie? Add pumpkin pie extract or flavoring to ricotta cheese. I use flavorings by Lorann Oils. You can find some at Michaels, Joann, and local cake and candy supply stores. You can also order them online at www.lorannoils.com.

I just want to say, as someone who had the sleeve and then a revision to bypass, the sleeve recovery was the hardest. I am completely STUNNED at how much easier the bypass recovery has been. So for those of you who had the sleeve and are struggling, I promise it'll get better. It took me darn near 4 weeks before I was completely pain free. It took 4 days with the bypass.

I never lost hunger with either surgery, and I lost what little restriction I had with the sleeve around week 4. The key is to talk to those who have been there and understand the struggle. Some therapy is also huge. The surgery is a tool, but it doesn't change your relationship with food. The mental part of this is actually the toughest part. I promise you, even if you have real hunger, the head hunger is the hardest thing to get past. I can ignore real hunger. But the mind f**k you get from your brain telling you you're hungry, you're starving, you have to have this or that, you can't go without it... that's where the work actually begins.

Learning to get over that. Once you do, and you train yourself to recognize true hunger vs head hunger, and you learn how to ignore the head hunger, that's when you've truly won. And it's hard, I won't lie. VERY hard. But it absolutely CAN be done. I promise you that.

You nailed it about the “mind hunger.” I didn’t have it as much with the original bypass, probably because those no-no foods felt uncomfortable and/or I dumped, always out the back way. It took almost 2 years to be able to eat the bad stuff. After what turns out to be Part 1 of my revision surgery, it took a lot less, plus I don’t dump. I spoke with my surgeon to say that I wasn’t sure the Argon zapping was working, and she told me that the revision process takes several surgeries and that I should have been contacted by their obesity management team and scheduled for the next procedure. They’re working on scheduling that for August, and I’m in contact with the team. She also suggested calorie counting, as well as some of those online weight management sites like Noom. It’s as much about how you think of food and realizing why you overeat. I was getting therapy, but it was once a month, and I don’t think it really helped.

61 days until my surgery and I'm already having buyers remorse. I know it's all in my head. I have an amazingly supportive husband in all of it and he's had to hear the gambit of my emotions from elation to utter defeat surrounding this surgery, so much so that he honestly doesn't know what to think sometimes. But he's on board 100% even if it does mean he will have to do most of the cooking for himself and our kids for a while so that I can adjust to turning down the "head hunger". I ordered a few different Protein powders and shot (an assortment box) so that I could start the prep work. I have been so bad lately about "well I can't have it after surgery, so I'm gonna stuff my face with it now" ice cream, Cookies, I think I had 5 normal sized cupcakes on 4th of July. At this point sometimes I'm eating just to eat because I still have issues to address with my eating. I have psych appointments lined up with the bariatrics team at mayo as well as my usual psych and shrink. I want to get a hold on my relationship with food before the surgery and with so little time left I'm worried that I can't do it.

I'm petrified that I am going to mess myself up worse having the surgery than if I just kept going without it. Weightloss isn't the #1 reason I'm having the surgery, just a big bonus. I have to have the surgery because of another surgery I had almost 20 years ago starting to come undone and causing issues and more damage. I'm so scared right now that I'm going to end up hating myself for putting myself through the misery. But it's time to "Embrace the Suck" and move forward.

We are all in various places, but it's so great seeing everyone be so supportive from every walk. I'm happy to have found this site.

5 minutes ago, ElleRodri said:

61 days until my surgery and I'm already having buyers remorse. I know it's all in my head. I have an amazingly supportive husband in all of it and he's had to hear the gambit of my emotions from elation to utter defeat surrounding this surgery, so much so that he honestly doesn't know what to think sometimes. But he's on board 100% even if it does mean he will have to do most of the cooking for himself and our kids for a while so that I can adjust to turning down the "head hunger". I ordered a few different Protein powders and shot (an assortment box) so that I could start the prep work. I have been so bad lately about "well I can't have it after surgery, so I'm gonna stuff my face with it now" ice cream, Cookies, I think I had 5 normal sized cupcakes on 4th of July. At this point sometimes I'm eating just to eat because I still have issues to address with my eating. I have psych appointments lined up with the bariatrics team at mayo as well as my usual psych and shrink. I want to get a hold on my relationship with food before the surgery and with so little time left I'm worried that I can't do it.

I'm petrified that I am going to mess myself up worse having the surgery than if I just kept going without it. Weightloss isn't the #1 reason I'm having the surgery, just a big bonus. I have to have the surgery because of another surgery I had almost 20 years ago starting to come undone and causing issues and more damage. I'm so scared right now that I'm going to end up hating myself for putting myself through the misery. But it's time to "Embrace the Suck" and move forward.

We are all in various places, but it's so great seeing everyone be so supportive from every walk. I'm happy to have found this site.

I felt this way before surgery. I was everywhere emotionally. TBH, after surgery I just went with the flow. It kind of worked itself out for me. I still get head hunger and have to be careful around certain food. But like you, my husband is super supportive and he helps me through it. Sometimes we butt heads over his comments in the moment, but it was something we talk about regularly. I basically gave him permission to tell me if I'm eating too much, too fast, the wrong thing, ect. It's helps, especially if we're out or at parties. The head hunger or food addiction is definitely something I have had to (and still am) working through.

2 hours ago, Victoria **** said:

You nailed it about the “mind hunger.” I didn’t have it as much with the original bypass, probably because those no-no foods felt uncomfortable and/or I dumped, always out the back way. It took almost 2 years to be able to eat the bad stuff. After what turns out to be Part 1 of my revision surgery, it took a lot less, plus I don’t dump. I spoke with my surgeon to say that I wasn’t sure the Argon zapping was working, and she told me that the revision process takes several surgeries and that I should have been contacted by their obesity management team and scheduled for the next procedure. They’re working on scheduling that for August, and I’m in contact with the team. She also suggested calorie counting, as well as some of those online weight management sites like Noom. It’s as much about how you think of food and realizing why you overeat. I was getting therapy, but it was once a month, and I don’t think it really helped.

What is Argon zapping ?