Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had my surgery a months ago at 69. According to my doc at my check up , I'm losing weight at the normal speed. Hopefully it will keep going ! I was happy to read all the above comments - it keeps me hopeful :)

I’m going to be 50 in Oct. My surgery was almost a month ago now and I lost 15lbs starting from my week before surgery. I’m a little concerned about that. Thought I would have lost more by now. When I was younger, weight came off relatively quickly but I also have hypothyroidism and don’t seem to have a metabolism anymore lol. I’m starting to walk more now so I am giving myself some time before I really start to think I never should have done this. That I failed yet again. I am hungry but it’s a different hunger if that makes sense. I eat a few bites every couple of hours or so, Vitamins and supplements as I should. Trying to stay positive and hydrated lol.

15lbs in about a month is fine @Metamul. You haven’t failed at all. Remember there is no right or wrong right of loss. You’ll lose at your own rate & at a rate that’s best for your body. Your rate of loss has nothing to do with whether you’ll lose your weight except it may take a little longer and that’s okay too. You’re doing great.

You’re probably starting to recognise the difference between real hunger & head hunger. Yes, they do feel different. You tend to crave a specific food, texture or flavour with real hunger. I get restless as if something is wrong then I realise I’m hungry. And there is always a legitimate & logical reason I’m hungry - haven’t eaten for a while, missed a meal, didn’t eat much earlier in the day.

On 6/17/2023 at 9:31 AM, KathyLev said:

I just had my surgery a months ago at 69. According to my doc at my check up , I'm losing weight at the normal speed. Hopefully it will keep going ! I was happy to read all the above comments - it keeps me hopeful :)

This is so encouraging. I appreciate the update. Congratulations on your new lease on life! 😊

12 hours ago, Metamul said:

I’m going to be 50 in Oct. My surgery was almost a month ago now and I lost 15lbs starting from my week before surgery. I’m a little concerned about that.

I'm glad you're working on staying positive, @Metamul. I'm still waiting on my surgery date, but what @Arabesque said about not failing is something I've been hearing a lot. I have two friends who did the sleeve. One lost at a rapid rate from the beginning (he had more to lose) and the other was much slower. A year later they are both thrilled with their results, but if you would have told the slower "loser" that she'd lose 100 lbs I'm not sure she would have believed you. She's still losing, btw. Hang in there. You didn't gain 15, you didn't stay the same. You lost 15 lbs. Even with hypothyroid, I believe as your body heals and gets used to your new metabolism you'll do great. Please keep us posted. This is a good forum, the best I've found. You'll find reliable info here and people who are kind to provide feedback. 😊

On 6/15/2023 at 11:20 PM, Arabesque said:

Menopause is what did me in too. I went from my usual lifelong range of 60-75kgs to suddenly being 91kg. It was like I woke up one day & there was the weight. Tried to unsuccessfully move it for a couple of years & decided surgery was my only option. I’m almost 58 & still have menopausal symptoms even on HRT. (Actually the estrogen flush we have while we’re losing actually stopped my menopausal symptoms. They came back once I got to goal though. ☹️) So losing your weight & maintaining is still possible.

Don’t worry too much about doing ‘enough’ exercise. It only contributes to about 10% of your weight loss & I didn’t do any formal exercise while I was losing. Just was more active in my everyday life. Like stairs not lifts or escalators, park further away from where you’re going, make multiple trips up & down my stairs instead of only one or two trips, etc. Of course there are lots of other benefits to being active.

I too found tea easiest to drink. I still have a large mug (about 400ml) of green tea every day. You’ll get your Fluid up. Try drinking during the night as well. Sip every time you get up to pee. I still do this to push me up & over my goal. Looks like you’ve got a good handle on your Protein so we’ll done. And congrats with your weight loss so far too.

Thank you for your encouraging words and advice!!! Menopause is a nasty thing 👿 and it even has the word men in it, go figure!! Congratulations on doing great on your weight loss journey!

5 hours ago, Midwest Grateful said:

This is so encouraging. I appreciate the update. Congratulations on your new lease on life! 😊

Very encouraging and congrats to you! Keep up the great work!

I’m 55 and had sleeve surgery just about 4 weeks ago and have only lost 9 pounds. The dietician says I’m doing everything right and it will happen but I’m so disheartened.

On 6/15/2023 at 1:11 PM, Midwest Grateful said:

Great to hear,@NCL04321! Having a good support system means the world - I'm fortunate to have the same. I'll look forward to hearing more about your journey. I am so ready to get this surgery. Btw, I grew up in IL, but I've lived in IN for much of my adult life. Have a beautiful day!

I grew up in IL too (Northern, by Rockford)

On 6/14/2023 at 2:08 PM, NCL04321 said:

Any over 50 sleevers? Did you find the weight after surgery came off faster/slower than someone younger?

I’m 52. Sleeved13 months ago. Lost 50 presurgery and have lost 128 since surgery last May. I’m losing slower now than I was in first six months but I still avg 8 lbs a month, sometimes a bit more. I had one major stall from month 7-9 then the pounds started coming off again. I want to lose about 44 more. My doctor feels another 25 is very doable even at my age and 44 isn’t out of the question. She did say after month six, especially for older patients, walking, cardio and resistance training are the difference between plateauing and continuing to lose. I strive for at least 12k steps daily and I have added in the gym five days a week to keep losing. I don’t think age will stop your progress but younger people probably rebound from loose skin better than older people. Wishing you the best of luck. The sleeve changed my life.

3 hours ago, amandarara said:

I grew up in IL too (Northern, by Rockford)

Nice! 😊 I grew up on the southwest side until I was twelve. Then my family moved to the suburbs. I got married and six years later we moved to Northern Indiana. Been living in IN for 30+ years.

On 6/20/2023 at 12:26 PM, StJules said:

I’m 55 and had sleeve surgery just about 4 weeks ago and have only lost 9 pounds. The dietician says I’m doing everything right and it will happen but I’m so disheartened.

I'm sorry, @StJules. I haven't had my surgery yet (coming in July), but I've read plenty of posts here that are encouraging re slower starts to weight loss. I'm 62 and wondered if it is slower in the beginning because of age, but that doesn't always seem to be the case. And really, I think there are a few people who lose a LOT in the beginning, but that's not as common. I think they just stand out to us more and we become hopeful...or at least I do. Hang in there. Hopefully we'll all be able to report significant weight loss soon...and more importantly, better health! This is a good forum. I encourage you to keep reading posts that address your concerns. Lots of helpful people here! Welcome! 😊

Hi, I’m 7 months post-op. I was 55 when I had my WLS (sleeve.) I’ve lost a total of 60+ pounds. I’m a slow loser but I’m ok with it. I workout to minimize loose skin, so I am building muscles.

I had my sleeve June 2021 at age 51 (female). I lost 40 pounds and have lost an additional 30 pounds with the help of Mounjaro (started October 2022) I really recommend people try the digs before getting the sleeve. The drugs help with the food noise I my head and not just not the appetite surpression.

stats female 5’8’ sw 210

.I had my sleeve done on May third. I am 60 and have been in menopause for 8 years. I have never been heavy til menopause happened. 3 weeks before my surgery i started my pre diet. I ate 540 calories a day of Protein and very low carbs. On my surgery day I had only lost 1 pound :(. I feel that with age also comes the slower metabolism. I am doing okay with the weight lose. I am a vegetarian, so it is interesting not getting to eat any fruit. But I am sticking to the strict diet given by my doctor. Only 1/4 cup a meal. I have been lift 5 pound arm weights as I know my arms are going to have alot of excess skin. It is strange to see my skin as it appears I am like a deflating ballon :). It is alot to get used to. My fatique is off the chart, but I am doing the best I can. One day at a time