Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry and Failing, 11 days Post-op

I’m 11 days post- op and I’m constantly hungry. I have to eat every 2 hours or I go into scrounge mode. I eat anything I can lay hands on.

Tonight, I let time get away from me and got hungry. I ate about 20 potato chips. I’m hitting and exceeding Protein and fluid goals. I’ve started myself on rotisserie chicken 3 days early because I just can’t take it anymore.

The only difference I’ve experienced since surgery on 5/30 is getting full faster but my hunger is probably worse. I get tired very quickly despite the protein and fluids.

I’m so defeated right now. I feel like the pain and anxiety of the last few months has all been a waste.

I definitely would lay off the potato chips because they have zero nutritional value and they're probably going to be too hard on a healing stomach.

sometimes hunger is actually thirst or can be caused by stomach acid. DId your clinic prescribe some sort of antacid, like omeprazole? A lot of them prescribe it for the first 3-6 months after surgery.

I obviously didn’t plan to eat potato chips and I know they have no nutritional value.

I am prescribed omeprazole at 20 mg/day for 3 months. I’ve literally checked all the boxes. The hunger is not head hunger. I’m not craving specific foods and I’m not bored.

The staged return to eating is too protect & support your healing tummy. Remember all those sutures & staples holding your tummy together. There’s about 12inches of them - imagine if it was your arm or leg & how you would treat, care & manage that wound. Eating off plan in these weeks can stress, strain or damage your tummy & compromise your recovery.

While a temporary loss of hunger & appetite after surgery is most common, there are some who don’t experience it. You may not be bored or craving a specific food but you turned to chips & chicken instead of a shake or Soup. I think you are craving - salt & textures (something to chew or crunch). You have been through a stressful surgery, your hormones are all messed up, your life has been considerably changed, you have had restrictions placed upon you about what you can eat & do. What may be driving your hunger is a subconscious desire to comfort yourself, look for some normalacy in your life, take back some control, etc.

Worth a conversation with the therapist you saw pre surgery or if you didn't have to see one, ask your team for a referral. Many seek the support of therapy & find it very beneficial as they work through the changes & their relationship with food.

The first weeks aren’t the easiest because of the changes, your recovery & worry about whether what you’re doing & experiencing is right. But it does get easier & in a few months you’ll look back & think it was actually only for a few weeks, it was okay & I managed it.

All the best.

I also wonder if I should have waited to return to work. My company has a crap ‘unlimited PTO’ policy which would have required me to go on short term disability after an absence over 5 business days. I couldn’t afford the pay cut and thought I could handle it because I WFH. Work dumped a ton of projects on me this week and instead of having the ‘light’ work load we discussed, I worked 40+.

There is nothing wrong with eating every 2-3 hours, I did. My team suggested this so I could get some extra calories in. For example, I would make up some egg salad and tuna salad. I would alternate these with some cheese and a small piece of fruit and a Protein yogurt. In between I would drink milk or coffee made with milk [ I was allowed coffee] Early on my diet was loaded with dairy. Not every ones cup of tea I know. Work with the regime you have been given, its worth it in the end

This is easy prep for you with such a heavy work load. I would also get in some tinned Soups bearing in mind Tomato Soup is very acidic on your new stomach and it may bounce about. I found some low cal popsicles to have at other times.

At about 3 months when your stomach is healed your restriction will kick in and then you get the full feeling of this surgery.

Nearly every one feels bad in the beginning. Remorse and regret are the usual symptoms we say in the forum at this time, I did. It is a big surgery and takes a lot of getting used to. Just white knuckle it

I was told to make sure I ate 6 times per day, every 2 hours until bed. Especially the first 8 weeks. Then I stretched it to every 3-4 hours 4x per day, and now it's been firm at every 4 hours. It takes time, so be patient and stay away from the junk food. Clear it all out of your house. If you live with others that eat it, ask them to keep their Snacks in their rooms or in a container that you can't get to until you have your mind and body trained to not go for the junk. Keep a lot of healthy snacks around. I ate sugar free tropical popsicles until I was able to get myself under control. I also ate fruit and love making fruit smoothies with my greens in them.

I go to support groups and meet many people with many different situations. It seems that there are some people who are hungry after surgery. The difference between pre surgery hunger and post surgery hunger is that you will feel fuller faster. Here is what I've learned from my groups for those who are always hungry. Take a portion size to eat. Weigh out an ounce of food. This helps control how much you eat. Eat in slow deliberate bites. Extend the the time that you eat as long as possible. They all say your brain needs to catch up to your stomach so that you can feel the fullness. Most important, don't eat around your restriction. If you eat and 1/2 an ounce of food fills you up stop and then wait 30 minutes and "drown" yourself in Water to fill up your stomach. Hope this helps.