Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had gastric bypass 4/19 and hit my first stall. I know this happens and was prepared by my medical team to expect it but I’m still worried. My personal experience has been SO easy, I’m almost worried this is the other shoe to drop, so to speak, and 20lbs is all I’ll lose after surgery. Thoughts?

The same thing happened to me, the 3 week stall, lasted almost a week. It does make you wonder if you'll lose anything else but keep following the program and it will happen. Your body is trying to regulate itself is all.

41 minutes ago, allisonm1987 said:

I had gastric bypass 4/19 and hit my first stall. I know this happens and was prepared by my medical team to expect it but I’m still worried. My personal experience has been SO easy, I’m almost worried this is the other shoe to drop, so to speak, and 20lbs is all I’ll lose after surgery. Thoughts?

When you had the bypass you signed yourself up for a spot in a marathon in a number or sports. Running (what you eat) Track and field (how you eat and why). Stamina (Patience). Synchcronized swimming (Creativity). Discus (More patience). High jump (Exercise). It will take a long time of practicing all of these elements to get to the end of your race.

It can feel very hard at the start to even see the finish line and that is why you just keep on showing up for yourself day after day. I struggled at the start with the length of the journey ahead. It has taken me a year to feel better about being in my own skin. Keep on doing what your team has advised. If you keep to new habits it will happen even though there may be hiccups along the way.

Picture where you will be at in a year and looking back at the victories you will have along the way.

1 - Stay off the scales they will do your head in. Weigh once a week or month.

2 - Measure yourself once a month a see the changes.

3 - Set mini goals along the way and reward yourself when you achieve them.

4 - Be proud that you are doing the very best you can. 💖

it's the three-week stall - right on time!

stick to your plan, stay off the scale, and it'll break. Does every time...

Stalls are a important part of your weight loss. It’s when your body stops to get used to the changes, assesses your new needs & readjusts things like the hormones involved in digestion, metabolic rate, etc. You’ll start losing weight again when your body is ready. How many stalls you have or how long each one lasts don’t have any affect on your final weight loss. I agree: stick to your plan, stay off the scales. And yes, they always break.

All the best.

I was told by my surgeon and his team that for some reason, everyone hits a plateau around 3-4 weeks post op. You should be fine after that :) I got worried too when I hit my plateau but my weight has been going down ever since.

Yeah.. I hit a stall for most of April which was mostly in my 3rd month. It was depressing for a bit. I switched up my exercise routine a bit. And that seems to have helped. Because now I am losing again. I know it's common but it definitely does a number on the psyche. Because you can't help but wonder what you did wrong. Even if nothing has changed in diet.

Your body is still in its healing process. The 3 week stall is normal and my doctor advised that weight loss isn't going to be a curve but more like stair steps; there will be moments it goes down and then periods of stalls. Much easier expectation set up in my opinion. Stick with your plan and trust the process. The weight is worth the wait!

I had my surgery on the same day and i am still in a stall since the 3rd week. i lost 22lbs in the first 3 weeks and for the past two weeks i have lost 1lbs. i’m sad.

Hang in there and keep your eye on the long term prize! I am feeling your pain and currently struggling with 10 day stall at 4 1/2 months post op. This is probably my 3rd stall so far. I’ve lost 70 lbs (includes pre and post op) so know I’m on the right track. Its hard to mentally keep things in perspective when we depend on the daily encouragement of seeing the scale drop. If it doesn’t move I have to fight the mental battle that I’m failing. Im still learning how to not completely obsess over the weight loss and allow myself to enjoy where I’m at today. It’s hard to do! I find great encouragement from those on this site who are veterans at this point and have experienced everything before. I have to trust their wisdom and keep to my eating plan and track my food intake religiously. I admit I find it very difficult not to weigh-in daily. That is my challenge for sure but I do measure every 4-6 weeks. I’ve been so surprised to see how many inches I’ve lost each time. I encourage you to get a soft measuring tape! Also take weekly photos. I upload them to my Baritastic app and amazed to scroll backwards and see how far I’ve come.

On 5/6/2023 at 7:38 PM, allisonm1987 said:

I had gastric bypass 4/19 and hit my first stall. I know this happens and was prepared by my medical team to expect it but I’m still worried. My personal experience has been SO easy, I’m almost worried this is the other shoe to drop, so to speak, and 20lbs is all I’ll lose after surgery. Thoughts?

April 25th surgery. Had two stalls, already. First was about 2 weeks in. Stuck for a week. Then I dropped 16 lbs in a week, now, stuck again for a week. Wish I knew what the bleep I've done wrong.

Hang in there! This is a great video describing what is going on:

The TLDR Version: In the first three weeks, you are losing more weight than is possible given your calorie deficiency, that is extra Water around your body. You actually become dehydrated in those first few weeks until your body regulates itself and starts to store some more water to get you out of that dehydrated state. That usually happens around week 3, so you stall. You are STILL losing fat, you are just retaining more (needed) water than the fat you are losing that week.

Thank you! I've watched many of the videos, and this provided the best explanation. Nutritionist broke my heart when he said I should have hit 15% excess weight loss by now. I was at 9%. Getting my Water in, and averaging 800 calories, so it's hard to wonder why it's not progressing.

On 05/28/2023 at 09:08, Clipper1 said:

April 25th surgery. Had two stalls, already. First was about 2 weeks in. Stuck for a week. Then I dropped 16 lbs in a week, now, stuck again for a week. Wish I knew what the bleep I've done wrong.

Clipper1, it’ll all work out. I finally broke the plateau and lost 10lbs in a week. I talked to my Dr he assured me it’s normal and as long as I follow the program I’ll progress. Sending good vibes to you!

I had surgery April 26th and haven't lost anything in over 2 weeks. I'm getting discouraged. I started at 235 and am at 207 now. I want to be at 150 or less. Shouldn't it be moving down by now? I mean I eat very little so it can't be calories.