Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constant pain during work

I am about 9 months post op. I have lost close to 200 lbs.

I took a very long break from work and have taken a job with much physical labor.

I am beyond sore and care barely walk after about 10 hours of my shift . So bad that I walk like I’m about 100 years old.

I didn’t have this pain when I was bigger. It’s been over 2 months at this new job and my body doesn’t seem to be feeling better with this.

Any tips? What is happening?

I am 5 years out. I would say that your 200 lb weight loss is not just fat, but that you have lost a lot of muscle bulk. That's why you are feeling exhausted on exertion. Did you take to regular exercise during your postop phase to maintain your muscle bulk?

If not, then slow but steady muscle building exercise is the solution. Not more endless cardiovascular, but lifting weights, resistance training and strength building.

You should start to see results in about 6 weeks if you do 30 mins a day.

First of all, congratulations on your progress! That is amazing!!

Second, I echo @Saxons. Even if you have hit your Protein goal every single day since surgery, muscle loss is an inevitability. Additionally, after having lost so much weight, the way we carry ourselves changes which can lead to new aches and pains as our bodies adjust.

Adding in some weight/resistance work will help build those muscles back up and help your body adjust to its new shape and weight distribution.

I have the same issues and its due to muscle wasting. I have started with doing some resistance training and have noticed a small difference. I lost over 100 lbs myself. make sure you are getting enough Protein and I would suggest Water aerobic. this will help build muscle but decrease the workload on your joints that are already taking a beating with physical labor. Speak to your nutritionist or doctor as well for the best recommendations for your specific issues.

I am going through a similar thing. I begun volunteering in a charity one day a week. Its very physical for me and entails lots of steps and carrying. I come home drained and aching all over. My calories are low, 1000 to 1200 so I run out of energy quickly and need to eat a Protein Bar and drink a glass of milk just to get me through. When I get home I collapse on the sofa. I need to build up my muscle mass again. I hope it will get easier in time because I love this little job

Another factor to consider is that your muscles & tendons & sinews are relearning how to move & hold your now much smaller body. Your centre of gravity & posture has changed because they’re no longer compensating for that extra weight you carried before.

Aches & pains in hips, knees, back, etc are quite common for a while too. You may also find your balance is off too. My friend & I realised we were slouching because we didn’t have a big tummy to hold up our upper body anymore. And I had upper back pain (though a better fitting smaller bra helped with that 😉).

I also took on a second physical job and yep - the muscles aren't what they were! I regularly get a dull ache in the mid-back region due to my core strength being non-existent. I've also had a couple of injuries that are taking their merry time to get better, the worst of which is the knee I broke badly coming off a bike. It's tricky balancing the food intake with physical activity and I haven't managed to work it out yet.

Thank you all for the great responses!!

Just came back from my surgeon follow up. He said it’s just muscles. I need to build up more . Again thank you all for the responses