Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overnight stay

My insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery, so I am self pay. It is scheduled for Feb 23 at an Outpatient facility, and they are telling me no overnight stay is required. (If needed, overnight care is available). So far everything I've read states at least one night in the hospital. I'm a little concerned with cost cutting measures for self pay. We have a hotel booked a few miles from the surgery center in case of any complications (and for my husband in case I do stay overnight) as we are about 2 hours away. Mount Sinai Surgery Center in Tarzana CA. Anyone with experience there or going home same day?

I also have 2 complications, Moderate sleep apnea, and likely a lot of scar tissue from a previous lap band. Not that I want to stay overnight, but I would prefer to be mentally prepared!

I stayed in a hotel nearby just in case but was told to by my bariatric team

I had a one night stay but i had my surgery in Las Vegas.

I have heard of this being out patient more than once. Even with insurance. Don't stress, if you need to stay they will keep you!

Good luck!

I stayed the night. The reason was there is a test that they do the day after surgery to make sure the staples holding the cut stomach are holding and not leaking. I drank this awful liquid and had an xray taken. When they see that the staples are holding I was discharged. Same for others I know who had the surgery.

If you don’t have any surgical complications, you might be fine to do this as an outpatient procedure (especially since you have your husband to keep an eye on you and provide assistance). However, you need to be really diligent about following post-surgery instructions.

I stayed one night, and I was eager to get released and go home, but in hindsight, I’m glad they made me stay overnight because it was so difficult to get sufficient Fluid intake those first few days. While I was in the hospital, they pumped me full of IV fluids, which gave me a head start on hydration while I struggled to drink Water. Dehydration is one of the most common causes of hospitalization after surgery, so without the help of an extra night of IV fluids, you’ll need to be extra careful about keeping up with your fluid intake or you might have to go back to the hospital anyway.