Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve revised to RNY 11/10/22 due to GERD. I stayed on fluids/purées/soft foods advancing very slowly. I didn’t start solid foods until end of December (about 6 weeks). Since then I feel like I’m playing Russian Roulette every time I eat. Sometimes I eat and feel fine without pain or restriction. Other times I will eat the same exact thing, same amount and be doubled over in pain until 4-8 hours later when I finally throw up and the food comes up not even partially digested. Every time I freak that I have an obstruction. Nutritionists say it’s too much Fiber or too much fat, but it’s not necessarily associated with diarrhea and why, then, can I tolerate it sometimes and others not? Surgeon is sending me in for an upper GI barium study next week. I’m so stressed that I have stretched my pouch somehow but I can sometimes eat far more volume without issue compared to some of these episodes. Has anyone else experienced this? TMI, I’m also noticing pale colored stools but the pain is on the left, not on the right with my gallbladder. He said my gallbladder looked fine during surgery. I just need this to work so I feel better and can get on with my life.

It takes longer for some of us than others; I struggled to eat much of anything for about 4 months after my procedure, and I felt like I was starving to death (we're talking 100-200 calories a day...no one can survive for long on that little no matter how much "reserve" you may have).

You said you had or have GERD...are you still having issues with that? Acid reflux was a big part of the reason I had so much difficulty eating.

The GERD is better for the most part. I just stopped the Protonix after 3 months and I’m okay unless I’m having one of those “attacks “

I had those same struggles. Of course each person is different, so I’m glad your team is checking it out! Mine was because I’d had GERD with Barrett’s esophagus and a hiatal hernia. That poor old esophagus had a lot of healing to do from all the repair work. It just took longer to heal. Some things like boiled eggs and communion wafers still get stuck at 18 months out. 

My tests and biopsies come back ok, my doc said that it’s common for that to happen in women of my age (less saliva) with that amount of previous damage. We keep a regular eye on the esophagus, but it’s okay and normal. I hope your tests come out normal too!