Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op gurgles

Hi guys, I am day3 post op, am on puréed or blended diet. There is lots of bubbles and gurgles after eating ….. or drinking anything . Is this normal?

it is normal, and sometimes lasts forever. You get used to it, I am 9 months post-op and still have it when I eat.

Yep, it's normal! Our pouches can be very vocal! LOL!

Ahh ok so as long as its normal! Im trying to find signs of being hungry and being full….. i dont think I have either yet?

Discovering those signs is probably the hardest part of this process. Have you seen the hunger scale? It looks kind of like the pain scale, that doctors use. That scale meant nothing to me, prior to surgery. I was always either starving or stuffed - there was no in between.

Now, I can actually use that hunger scale! I will start feeling a little bit hungry and then over time the feeling slowly builds.

I'm still not super-good at judging when I'm full. So, I just eat really slow (30 seconds after I swallow, I will take another bite) and as soon as I kind of maybe think I might be feeling a little bit full, I stop eating. Eating too much is quite painful and the couple of times I've done it, I've regretted it. So, I try not to do that.

This quickly after surgery the sensation of being full is not going to be what it will be in a month or so when you're back on semi-solids and your stomach is healed. 3 days post op you're probably still partially numb and there are nerves severed when they do the operation that have to grow back. That's why it's so important to measure what you consume this early; you cannot feel yourself be full, and your stomach is swollen.

Gurgling or rumbling sounds in the stomach after eating or drinking is a common symptom in the early stages of recovery after bariatric surgery. This is because the stomach and intestines are adjusting to the changes in the digestive process caused by the surgery.

This can be caused by the formation of gas in the stomach and intestines, which can be a normal part of the digestive process. Eating too quickly, not chewing food properly, or drinking carbonated beverages can also contribute to this symptom.

It's also normal to experience a lot of gas and bloating after surgery, as your body adjusts to the new diet and the changes in your stomach and intestines.

It's important to follow your surgeon's and dietitian's instructions and to take it slow with the introduction of new foods. Also, drinking enough Water and taking small sips during the day can help to reduce the formation of gas.

If the symptoms persist, or if you experience severe abdominal pain, vomiting, or fever, it's important to contact your surgeon and/or dietitian to rule out any complications.

On 01/12/2023 at 16:29, Jeanniebug said:

Discovering those signs is probably the hardest part of this process. Have you seen the hunger scale? It looks kind of like the pain scale, that doctors use. That scale meant nothing to me, prior to surgery. I was always either starving or stuffed - there was no in between.

Now, I can actually use that hunger scale! I will start feeling a little bit hungry and then over time the feeling slowly builds.

I'm still not super-good at judging when I'm full. So, I just eat really slow (30 seconds after I swallow, I will take another bite) and as soon as I kind of maybe think I might be feeling a little bit full, I stop eating. Eating too much is quite painful and the couple of times I've done it, I've regretted it. So, I try not to do that.

Thanks I will have a look for the hunger scale for later down the line!

3.75yrs out & I still gurgle & rumble & whine. My doctor said it’s just my digestive system doing what it’s supposed to: digest food. It’s just noisier now. Can happen when I’m eating & drinking or up to an hour after. (It’s doing it right now 😁.)

A lot of nerves were cut during the surgery so you won’t have your old signals of full or hungry for a while. It’s why being careful with portion sizes & eating & drinking slowly is very important especially in the first weeks. In fact when they do come back you may find the signals are very different. Some say they sneeze or get a runny nose when they’ve eaten enough.

I’m 9 years post-op and this still happens! I was in a meeting last week and it was completely silent, except for my rumbly grumbly tummy; I actually apologized to the woman sitting next to me because it was so loud! 😂

Surprised you were at this stage so early! My dietician and surgeon don’t want me near purée until week 3

So many surgeons etc operate so differently!

Yes it is normal, after a week or so mine diminished and I ocassionally get the sound from my throat if I eat too fast. I started to understand my full signs at about week 2 or 3, prior to that any sound was freaking me out and I will stop to make sure things were good lol

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app