Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long to reach goal weight?

Hi! I know this is obviously different for everyone but I am curious how long it took you to reach goal weight? I started at 303 in March and I'm down to 202 at the moment. My goal weight is 160 and I was really hopeful I'd get there by the 1 year mark but the loss has slowed down so much I'm not sure I'll make it. I think I'm more curious if anyone had a slow down around this point in time and the weight loss picked back up? I've heard from others that it tends to slow down after 6 months and stay that way. I actually mainly starting to worry that I won't hit my goal at all and maybe I need to change my expectations.....

My loss has definitely slowed. I'm 15 months out now, and noticed it really throttle back around 9 months but it still hasn't completely stopped. I reached "goal" a week ago - having lost 115lbs; I suspect the loss will stop completely here soon, which I'm fine with.

Its important to remember that success isn't measured by whether or not your hit your "goal" weight, but rather by how much of your excess weight you're able to lose and maintain. So for example, based on BMI if you have 120lbs to lose to get to a "healthy" weight, then you can expect to lose AROUND 78lbs (65%) of that excess weight. (We all know BMI is an awful measure, but its the current standard). That varies from 60-80% from person to person, and you should expect some amount of regain in the years immediately following. Most surgeons consider LONG TERM success to be a loss of 50% of your excess weight after 5 years.

So, all that to say, you are right where you need to be. Keep to your plan, and give it time. Goal weights are helpful, but they aren't the end-all-be-all measure of success. You're already a success!

It took me 14 months.

I am 8.5 months post op and 78.2% to my goal weight. Which happens to be 60.9% of my starting weight.

I don't know how long it will take by I was hoping to hit it by 1.5 year so I am well on my way. I just keep focused and do what I can!

1 hour ago, Sleeve_Me_Alone said:

My loss has definitely slowed. I'm 15 months out now, and noticed it really throttle back around 9 months but it still hasn't completely stopped. I reached "goal" a week ago - having lost 115lbs; I suspect the loss will stop completely here soon, which I'm fine with.

Its important to remember that success isn't measured by whether or not your hit your "goal" weight, but rather by how much of your excess weight you're able to lose and maintain. So for example, based on BMI if you have 120lbs to lose to get to a "healthy" weight, then you can expect to lose AROUND 78lbs (65%) of that excess weight. (We all know BMI is an awful measure, but its the current standard). That varies from 60-80% from person to person, and you should expect some amount of regain in the years immediately following. Most surgeons consider LONG TERM success to be a loss of 50% of your excess weight after 5 years.

So, all that to say, you are right where you need to be. Keep to your plan, and give it time. Goal weights are helpful, but they aren't the end-all-be-all measure of success. You're already a success!

My PA said the average patient loses 25% of their body weight, but I suppose the difference there is total body weight versus "excess" body weight.

I started at 373, was 313 the morning of surgery, hit 138 lbs at 20 months out

and yes, your weight loss slows down the further out post-op you are. After year 1, it was often an excruciating 2-3 lbs a month.

p.s. since we were around the same weight on our surgery dates, I thought I'd check to see what I was exactly one year out. I weighed 187 lbs on that day.

Edited by catwoman7

up to 18 months is normal for weight loss on a slowing scale of loss…

Took me 10 and a half months to reach my (arbitrarily decided) goal but I started with a lower BMI than some. You're absolutely right - everyone's journey is slightly different. My weight loss was like a reverse exponential curve - I am still losing, but at a rate of 1lb or less per month at 13 months out. I am still loving the journey, although I would have been happy with my total loss some months back. I hope you get to where you would like to be xxx

started at 235 (5'2" female)

lost 100% of "excess weight" (baseline calculated as 135 ideal weight by my surgeon) by 6 months

got to MY revised goal weight of by 7 months.

lost a bit more after that, gained some back, and nowadays hover around 118-120. i'm 4 years out.

in terms of weight loss slowing down: not counting the first 2 months where i saw higher losses, i was pretty consistent during weight loss phase with a loss of about 10 lbs a month until goal. after that it slowed alot down, but i was purposely trying to.

YMMV

Took me 14.5 months, and it really slowed down at around the ten month mark.

It can definitely feel like it's never going all come off, especially when it does slow down, but as I just found out on the scale this morning, you do get there. Be patient.

I reached goal at 6 months (31kg - 68lbs). I continued to lose for another 11 months losing about another 12kg (26lb - so total of about 43kg/95lbs) I was losing only around 0.5kg (1lb) a month in the last couple of months but I was eating more & had been working at slowing my weight loss for several months. At 3yrs 7 months I weigh about 50.5kg (111lbs).

The more you have to lose, the faster you’ll lose at first but then your rate will slow. You eat more & a wider variety of food as you progress which is what you should be doing. It does slow your rate of loss but it is a healthier rate of losing & you’re eating more like you will be in the long term.

Don’t get too caught up in comparing your weight loss or rate of loss though. There are too many factors that can influence your loss. Existing medical conditions, medications, lifestyle choices, mobility, age, gender, genetics, weight loss history, amount of weight to lose, etc.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. 100lbs in a year is great.

I lost about 96% of my excess weight (80 of 84 pounds). It took me about 9 months, but the pace slowed dramatically at 6 months… down to 3 or 4 pounds a month.

Edited by losinglosinglosing

I am only 4.5 months out and my weightloss has been terrible the last month and a half. only about 5 in that time I am a little worried that this is how it will be.