Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel food suggestions?

Hey folks,

I have 3 different trips coming up and would love your suggestions for food while traveling? I'm about 6 weeks out and have no food restrictions, though I obviously can't eat all that much yet. I'm mostly focused on Protein, with some good carbs and fats mixed in where I can.

• One trip is by car ~ 9 hours each way, 5 days total. This one has me worried about what to eat on the drive days other than stuff like yogurt and Protein Drinks? I can probably stop and pick up food if needed, but this is through mostly rural areas and options are pretty limited. The other days I'll be in a hotel room with a kitchenette and will have good access to grocery stores and restaurants. I expect I'll be able to eat more normally on those days.
  • The next trip is an overnighter by plane. I may live mostly on Protein Bars for this one unless anyone has any good suggestions? Unfortunately, no kitchenette this time, so I'm mostly stuck with what I can bring on the plane, what I can find ready-to-eat at grocery or convenience stores, or eating out.
  • The final one is 4 days, again by plane. Different city than trip 2, but should have good access to stores & restaurants. Again, no kitchenette, so no cooking.

For your road trips, can I suggest nuts, Jerky or Biltong, deli meats, satsumas, children's pack lunch food like crackers and cream cheese dippers. Instant porridge pots if you can get hot Water. Peperami mini sticks, Babybel cheese and Milk.

Are you allowed to take a small cooler bag on the plane? You could then take little tubs of foods like egg salad or less smelly chicken salad. Guacamole or hummus and Protein chips. fruit salad. I researched the food on the aeroplane and found they had a delivery mix up and I couldn't find anything to eat that tasted good to me. I ate some Pringles and a fruit salad. A latte coffee is always a good choice because it has lots of protein in the milk, a good carry-on item. Nut and seeds are easy packets to pack

If you take some flavoured Protein Powder its always ready for any emergency when the shops are closed, and you can then add it to milk or plain yogurt.

Have a wonderful time

For the road trip maybe consider investing in one of those coolers that plugs into the car or wall. You will have more room because you don’t need ice and you won’t have to deal with it. Just be sure to shut it off overnight because it can drain your car battery (been there). Or better yet you can take it into the room and plug in there. They aren’t super cheap but they are handy to have on hand for future road trips if you do them often.

Also consider shipping things like Protein Shakes and bars ahead to your destinations in places you will not have access to them. You can ship directly to most places from Amazon or Walmart, etc and have them waiting for you when you arrive.

You can get some partitioned containers and meal prep some "adult lunchables". Lunchmeat, cheese, nuts, salad veggies, berries (if you do veggies and fruit). I like the suggestions for guacamole and hummus.

5 hours ago, Jeanniebug said:

You can get some partitioned containers and meal prep some "adult lunchables". Lunchmeat, cheese, nuts, salad veggies, berries (if you do veggies and fruit). I like the suggestions for guacamole and hummus.

EasyLunchboxes® - Bento snack Boxes - Reusable 4-Compartment food Containers for School, Work and Travel, Set of 4, Brights https://a.co/d/ee3KPOJ

these are really good for making lunchables.

I saw people already gave great food ideas but what helps me is using a bento box! I have the Kinsho mini Bento Box (like the one pictured) so you can take your own small meals & not get tempted by the gas station/airport junk food.

Untitled-1.png