Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can I eat pizza toppings or cauliflower pizza again?

That is a question for your doctor and everyone is different on when they can tolerate different things. I have no issues with spicy things, but acidic foods make me feel sick.

I was able to tolerate cauliflower pizza pretty early out. I actually tried the toppings off a slice of pepperoni first and that was fine too but I never really tried alot of sauce because I like white pizza when I make the cauliflower pizza and that uses ricotta instead of sauce. My tummy was pretty forgiving though, I did not have any issues tolerating anything really throughout the phases. If your tummy is fussy with other things I wouldn’t rush to pizza. Everyone is different. When you do try it o would maybe try try just cheese pizza first to see how you do with the sauce and then try the pepperoni at another time so if you have issues you know which one caused it cause spicy and acidic are two things that can cause issues.

might help if you posted some more information or at least update your profile to add your surgery date, weight, height ect... i am 6 months out and i can eat pizza if i wanted to without issue tho tons of carbs so i dont lol. At work we make pizza and i sometimes eat the toppings that fall off lol. Been doing that since around 4 months post op but your surgeon knows best.

also, not sure how many people you cook for but my husband and I pretty much eat separate now so it’s a huge waste to cook and entire pizza for just me. I have learned to get the cauli power brand crust and cut it while it’s frozen into slices and then cook that (with the toppings off course). If you cook it directly on the rack it takes a little finesse to make sure it doesn’t fall through. I always put a cookie sheet on the rack below to catch any drops but once you figure it out it saves a ton of waste.

I started having cauliflower pizza at 9months on special family nights. I still mostly eat the toppings, but feel included. Like others said, everybody is different and the doctor tells us when we are healed. My new stomach tells me nothing too spicy or high in fat, so test yourself slowly at home in case there is an embarrassing reaction.

Hello, I was eating homemade "pizza bowls" at soft foods. Basically melted cheese, turkey pepperoni and a little sauce. Barely a bowl, more like 3 bites but still eating it. I had even taken those "cheese wraps" and warmed them up with a few turkey pepperoni on top and then rolled them up like a pizza roll and ate them.

Now, 7 months post-op I kinda eat pizza. haha I usually make my own with super thin crust and can eat a piece or 2 depending on the size and the day. But even if we eat ordered pizza I usually take a few bites with crust and then just eat the toppings.

I am not a carbaphobe. I eat carbs, but some fill me up way faster than others like Pizza Crust. So I only have a few bites to make sure I can get the Protein in.

1 hour ago, kcuster83 said:

Hello, I was eating homemade "pizza bowls" at soft foods. Basically melted cheese, turkey pepperoni and a little sauce. Barely a bowl, more like 3 bites but still eating it. I had even taken those "cheese wraps" and warmed them up with a few turkey pepperoni on top and then rolled them up like a pizza roll and ate them.

Now, 7 months post-op I kinda eat pizza. haha I usually make my own with super thin crust and can eat a piece or 2 depending on the size and the day. But even if we eat ordered pizza I usually take a few bites with crust and then just eat the toppings.

I am not a carbaphobe. I eat carbs, but some fill me up way faster than others like Pizza Crust. So I only have a few bites to make sure I can get the Protein in.

You just reminded me Lean cuisine has a cauliflower pizza bowl now. So far I have only seen meat lovers. I have been eyeballing them for the last couple weeks.

2 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

You just reminded me Lean cuisine has a cauliflower pizza bowl now. So far I have only seen meat lovers. I have been eyeballing them for the last couple weeks.

I am not a fan of the cauliflower pizza. If you actually compare it to regular pizza, i don't see the point.

I have not even tried it honestly, but it more about the comparison for me. it just never seemed "worth it" if that makes sense.

About the same or more calories and fat... the carbs aren't really much less either. I don't really get it. haha

2 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

I am not a fan of the cauliflower pizza. If you actually compare it to regular pizza, i don't see the point.

I have not even tried it honestly, but it more about the comparison for me. it just never seemed "worth it" if that makes sense.

About the same or more calories and fat... the carbs aren't really much less either. I don't really get it. haha

Well this is not the cauliflower crust. It is a bowl with all the pizza toppings but it has actual cauliflower in it kinda as a filler I guess. Now you do have me curious about the cauliflower crust. I can’t remember if I ever really compared it to regular or just tried it cause someone told me to. Lol

Edited by ShoppGirl

Just now, ShoppGirl said:

Well this is not the cauliflower crust. It is a bowl with all the pizza toppings but it has actual cauliflower in it kinda as a filler I guess.

OH OK! That might be good.

1 minute ago, kcuster83 said:

OH OK! That might be good.

I just got put it in my Walmart order I am gonna try it after my physical therapy in a few minutes cause I will get home late for lunch. I will let you know what I think.

Okay so i mentioned the cauliflower pizza bowl by lean cuisine and I had to try it. Just came out of the microwave and it sure smells good. It’s 430 calories which is a bit much for a lunch for me. I am in maintenance and like to keep my lunch around 300 calories or less. This Has 22g Protein, BUT 30g fat so definitely not an all the time option for my plan (18g carbs). I will have a lighter dinner to offset some. I have to admit it’s a little greasier than I expected. I guess pizza is too though so duh, lol. It tastes pretty yummy, I’m just hoping it doesn’t upset my stomach since I’m not used to all this grease. I have been eating between typing this and honestly I think I am satisfied with about half of it. Not because it’s a huge portion but because it’s so rich with the grease. (At a year and a half out, I usually can eat almost one serving of most things) if I can get two servings out of it I guess it’s not too horrible. I think I will keep one in the freezer for when I’m really craving pizza or when my husband decides he wants a pizza on game day which thankfully isn’t too often. I am thinking I also may try at some point to make my own version of this with Turkey pepperoni and see if it’s any good??

48 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Okay so i mentioned the cauliflower pizza bowl by lean cuisine and I had to try it. Just came out of the microwave and it sure smells good. It’s 430 calories which is a bit much for a lunch for me. I am in maintenance and like to keep my lunch around 300 calories or less. This Has 22g Protein, BUT 30g fat so definitely not an all the time option for my plan (18g carbs). I will have a lighter dinner to offset some. I have to admit it’s a little greasier than I expected. I guess pizza is too though so duh, lol. It tastes pretty yummy, I’m just hoping it doesn’t upset my stomach since I’m not used to all this grease. I have been eating between typing this and honestly I think I am satisfied with about half of it. Not because it’s a huge portion but because it’s so rich with the grease. (At a year and a half out, I usually can eat almost one serving of most things) if I can get two servings out of it I guess it’s not too horrible. I think I will keep one in the freezer for when I’m really craving pizza or when my husband decides he wants a pizza on game day which thankfully isn’t too often. I am thinking I also may try at some point to make my own version of this with Turkey pepperoni and see if it’s any good??

Papa johns makes pizza bowls, I tried it once. Also, very greasy. I wasn't a big fan of it but people rave about it on the FB Bariatric group that I am in.

Mine was cheese, pepperoni and veggies so not even a lot of meat. But, full fat cheese gets greasy when melted so I get it. But my pizza bowls aren't greasy like that. I use full fat cheese and turkey pepperoni so maybe that makes the difference.

12 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

Papa johns makes pizza bowls, I tried it once. Also, very greasy. I wasn't a big fan of it but people rave about it on the FB Bariatric group that I am in.

Mine was cheese, pepperoni and veggies so not even a lot of meat. But, full fat cheese gets greasy when melted so I get it. But my pizza bowls aren't greasy like that. I use full fat cheese and turkey pepperoni so maybe that makes the difference.

Yea maybe I need to just make my own. So far it hasn’t made me sick but it was quite a bit of fat for one meal.