Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Flipped

Has anyone else had this happen? I am so crabby, I went for my first fill today - two and half hours drive away, and he was unable to fill me because my port site has flipped sideways. I have to go in for day surgery to suture it back in place and can't get in until the 15th of January - bandster hell for even longer and over the holidays. He says this usually only happens after a few years but because I had my surgery only a few months after my second son was born that the abdominal walls may have been thin and this has caused it. I am actually a bit pissed off because he never mentioned that anything like this could happen and actually wanted to do the surgery only 6 weeks after my son was born - I was the one who wanted to wait for 12 weeks. By all accounts he is the best surgeon available in my state but I am wondering how much this little procedure will set me back financially. It is also painful because my husband works away at sea and will be away when I have to have this done and with two little boys to look after, this is no mean feat, especially when I have to drag them 2 1/2 hours away from home. Sorry just having a big whinge - in the scheme of life it is such a little thing but I was looking forward to having some more restriction to help keep me under control and lose more weight before we head on holidays in February. Anyone else had this - how did you go? :faint:

I went for my first fill today and was told my port had flipped. I had my band fitted 4 weeks after they removed my gall bladder. I am just wondering if this is the cause. Now I have to have a Xray in the New Year and then have my fill. So very disappointed as I was supposed to have the band in June and they cancelled hours before op. Then in August I was meant to have my gall bladder removed and the band fitted. But because my gb was infected I had to have another op later.

TulipStar, can you tell me exactly what this surgery involved? Was is a general or a local anasethic- do you have another scar? I am hoping the recovery will be no where near what my actual lap band sugery was. this is only day surgery but I am concerned - I have two little ones to take care of and my husband will be away at work until two weeks after I have the surgery done.

My port flipped 6 months out, June of 2006. I had it revised 6/26/06, under general anesthesia and through my original port incision. I didn't miss any work and felt pretty good. I don't have any kids, so don't know how that will be for you. I've heard of some Doctors doing it under local anesthesia, but my Doctor opted for general. Unfortunately don't know why it happened, but he made sure to suture in very good this time in case it was his fault. I had to pay out of pocket for the surgery, $2,125 (ouch!). Luckily I had my income tax money in savings to take care of this. Good Luck!

Thanks so much for this information. Just hoping my doc opts for local. And congrats on your success. Very encouraging for those of us beginning the journey.

It was surgery under full anesthesia. He re-opened my original scar, removed some scar tissue, removed the port (it disconnects) and put a new port in and stitched it to my muscle. I was discharged from the hospital about 2 hours after the procedure and the recovery time was way faster. It only took me about 3 days before I could go back to work. The pain was much less. I don't have little ones, so it might be hard for you. I was really careful not to do any bending or lifting lest I pull my port again! If you want more info, you can PM me.

Thanks so much Tulipstar. Glad to hear it is a much faster recovery. The lifting and bending is an issue particularly with a 5 month old baby but hopefully I'll be OK. Really hope this doesn't happen again.

I hope he doesn't. I know I'll already be 200 out of pocket because of the excess on my medical insurance and same for the anethetist which will probably be another few hundred but if my surgeon charges me as well, i really won't be happy. Will let you know how it goes.

I have my first fill on 1/10/08. I am worried that my port may have flipped, just a worry wart. I hope that it hasn't. Ugh.

Good luck.

Your dr really shouldn't charge you at all. My dr paid for everything and told me that if got a bill or copay, to let him know. It's not your fault...it's his and he should have some type of warranty on his work.

Mine flipped before the first fill too. Only it took me about six month to get off work so I could have the revision. I just had my revision and first fill so hopefully I will be able to get the weight off now. The revision was under full anesthesia and it was the surgeon's fault. He used a weaker form of stitching and they tore. I had to pay the hospital 800 dollars for the use of OR but my doctor gave me three more years of free fills to compensate for that. I figure I came out ahead that way.... Especially since I want to get pregnant as soon as the weight comes off.

Ok... i've been paranoid about my port flipping because I've noticed that my abdomin feels hard a new spot and it's sore... I already had one fill.. and it was not flipped at the time. I go in for my next fill in 3 weeks and I'm really praying that it's not flipped.. my question is... could you tell it was flipped?? did you have any signs or symptoms?? how does it flip???

thanks a bunch.

Kayla

Well I definately knew mine was flipped since everytime I would sit or stand you could see and feel it flip around. The stitches popped so it would flip constantly and hurt alot.