Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 11 PO and so tired

Anyone else? I napped 2 hours yesterday and then slept at least 12 hours last night. I want to start regular walks but I can barely walk 15 minutes right now. I’m on full liquids. Does it get better once you hit purée? Any tips?

It gets better. Took me about a month to start exercising. The liquid only part of the post op is hard because you are not getting in a ton of calories. My nutritionist wanted me to consume at least 900-1200 calories before i started to do moderate exercising.

Yep, the first couple of weeks I was completely exhausted and had to take naps every day. Once I moved to purees and was able to get closer to my Protein goal it started to get better. Give yourself lots of grace and hang in there!

On 07/08/2022 at 12:41, liveaboard15 said:

It gets better. Took me about a month to start exercising. The liquid only part of the post op is hard because you are not getting in a ton of calories. My nutritionist wanted me to consume at least 900-1200 calories before i started to do moderate exercising.

My nutritionist told me I needed to be getting 600-800 calories and I’m on full liquids. Pretty sure that’s impossible. Thankfully puree starts on Tuesday! I’m sure I’ll feel so much better if I can get to 900 calories

Yea I was very lucky to not have much pain post op but I was tired a lot. Constantly napping I just gave in to it. I would set my alarm to get up and walk or drink and just binge watched shows I have already seen cause I kept falling asleep.

All of the above plus, don’t forget you just had pretty major surgery & are healing. Best thing you can do is sleep if your body wants too. It’s going through a lot at the moment. And enjoy those nana naps & long night’s sleep because you’ll soon be back to your old sleeping routines & not really have an excuse to have nana naps. 😁

PS - I found, once through this period, my generally sleeping improved a lot as I lost weight. Went from averaging about 5 hrs a night to a good 7 or 8. That in itself was a big win for me.

Edited by Arabesque

It does get better - I am little over 30 days post op and my energy is thru the roof.

Give it time - you are still healing.

On 07/09/2022 at 18:37, TimberlynnVSG said:

It does get better - I am little over 30 days post op and my energy is thru the roof.

Give it time - you are still healing.

Yay! So glad you’re feeling good. I look forward to this. I took short term disability and have 6 weeks off so at least I’m off work struggling through this

Has anyone had difficulty eating after the 21 day mark. I have ate the soft foods and it seems to not go down it feels like it gets stuck in my esophagus and then I have like Gas and burp up just saliva.. weird feeling..

2 hours ago, Raquelg22 said:

Has anyone had difficulty eating after the 21 day mark. I have ate the soft foods and it seems to not go down it feels like it gets stuck in my esophagus and then I have like Gas and burp up just saliva.. weird feeling..

You may not be ready yet. Some need a little longer on a stage before moving forward. It all depends on how you heal. Did you have the purée stage before soft? Though plans can be different, many of us go through two week cycles of liquids, purée then soft. Also your soft food may not be soft & moist enough. Think slow cooked stews, braises, etc. & foods with lots of sauces & gravies. What you’re experiencing are the early stages of the foamies. They usually occur if you eat too fast, too much or eat something that is too dry or coarse.

Yea I was very lucky to not have much pain post op but I was tired a lot. Constantly napping I just gave in to it. I would set my alarm to get up and walk or drink and just binge watched shows I have already seen cause I kept falling asleep.
How often did you get up to walk? I know that it's important to not get blood clots but fatigue can make that difficult. I'm still in the pre-op stage but worry about not walking enough after surgery.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using BariatricPal mobile app

7 minutes ago, BlessedMomma91 said:

How often did you get up to walk? I know that it's important to not get blood clots but fatigue can make that difficult. I'm still in the pre-op stage but worry about not walking enough after surgery.

I want to say it was every hour that I got up and walked when I was awake and at night I got up to pee a few times. If you are high risk for blood clots they will probably give you injections and compression stockings and you may have to be more strict. I always get up every hour though and walk around a bit while I am awake. My Apple Watch reminds me to get up. I would ask your team how often you must get up because I may have done more than was necessary. Like I said I wasn’t in a lot of pain so it may have been different if I was.

Edited by ShoppGirl

On 07/12/2022 at 16:23, BlessedMomma91 said:

The recommendation was to walk at least every 4 hours. I feel like I get up way more often than that but haven’t timed it since the first week. My doc gives you a shot in the hospital for blood thinners and then a pill for 30 days to help with blood clots too!