Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Band Update (REALIZE)

First of all, I did not get to choose my band. My doctor (Jaime Ponce, he's on the www.realizeband.com website) chose it after he opened me up. I was glad to get the realize band because of the standard low profile port. I do not have excessive belly fat and did not want my port to "stick out". I can still feel my port, but its hardly noticable.

Thanks for the info Nikki...I go to see the surgeon on Tuesday this week so I will discuss my choice then...I think it will be REALIZE...I went to a support meeting and it was about equal between the people.

Thank you, Dr. Watkins, for sharing this information. I am having surgery 6/18 and will quite possibly be one of my doctor's first Realize patients (if I choose to be). When I was told that, I was wondering where I was going to find reliable information if the band was so new to the US. I should have known it would definitely be here on LBT. Thanks again!

I am posting a reply to save this to mu suscribed threads. i am also getting the Realize band, my dr, is actually switching to only Realize bands because h3e says he is having a better result. I guess we will all soon see

I see my doc on this Tuesday.....I am strongly thinking REALIZE too!

Good Luck everyone in making your choices and your Band day!

i left it up to my doctor to choose the band he preferred for me, since he uses both. He tends to prefer the lap-band, but has been using the realize band when people request it, or at times he will choose it for someone. Is it possible that the success rates have to do with the support and not the apparatus itself? I feel that for the most part, I am responsible for my own success either way at this point. I only have the band a few days but I am glad that my doctor chose for me. MOst of all, I wanted him to be comfortable with what he was doing at the point of surgery and now the rest will be up to me.

I'm having surgery June 1 with the Realize band. I feel somewhat of a guinea pig with my surgeon. The hospital that my insurance requires me to go to, they're not real big on banding. They do mostly bypass. They're switching over to the Realize band. My surgeon who has not, by FDA requirements, attend the training seminar that he is required to attend before he can do it by himself. He's done the other band. So the chief surgeon who has done the training session will be assisting. So I'm getting two surgeons. My surgeon has only done 20 bands, chief surgeon over a hundred. My daughter has had the other band with no problems. So I'm excited about having surgery, but somewhat nervous about doctor, although Geisinger Hospital in Danville, PA is an excellent hospital and my surgeon was very patient and didn't get his feelings bruised when I asked a gazillion questions about his not having done many of these procedures. he's done hundreds of the by-pass.

But reading the posts on here has helped explain the differences between the brands.

Thanks so much.

Trisha

Edited by pennreporter
typo

Trisha...my banding was almost one year ago! I have been extremely happy with Realize band! I think 2 surgeons is great and it is really the port that is "installed" differently/ Instead of being sewn on the muscle fascia...it has a tool (think of it like a "bedazzler" which stamps the claws onto the fascia!) I have had 2 friends need lap band port revisions because they flipped...never heard of a realize port flipping....not to say they can't but hmmm...

I will be thinking of you! Good luck and be happy!

That's good to hear. And i agree, I'm kind of getting double my money's worth with having two surgeons, esp with one being the chief of surgery for the bariatric department. Glad to hear you've been happy with yours.

Wish me well for the two week pre-op liquid diet. Good think I like Protein drinks. My plan is to keep myself as busy as I can so I don't think about it much. :glare:

Trisha

The thing about the pre op diets is that you are getting some of the fat off the liver... I actually ate until about 2 days before but I dieted for 5 months before and lost about 40 getting ready! Best to follow your docs regime though!

The liquid thing is really in your head which is how this whole thing works...I mean...the band as they say is a tool and you can eat or drink to defeat it at any point....

You have to make the effort and dedicate to changing those habits....your first "test" is the preop diet...then it will be post op diet then after fills etc...

What I am saying is...if you want it bad enough you will be positive about any challenge they ask you to do...

I have certainly had my moments that I did not meet the challenge...and for that you have to say, "ok...get up and try again.." It will always be up to you but don't get down on yourself and say, "I can't do this!" you will have baby steps along the way and the band will help you too. Ultimately though, YOU have to change both mind, body, food and drink choices, and exercise. I am listening to myself right now too, and know I still am in that process...but it feels good to be 90 pounds lighter..fitting into clothes again etc...

So, Stick to it, be forgiving if needed and work on being happy with a new chance!

Good Luck!