Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I worry so much about this happening to me too because I eat and I can eat again 30 minutes later. Good news is it was just once so far and you know that you don’t want to continue doing it. Do you have any idea what brought it on? Was it an emotional reaction or just purely boredom?? Maybe you should bring a bunch of healthy Snacks so you at least have the better option available. I eat when I am board too and I honestly haven’t found an answer except for lower calorie Snacks which isn’t perfect i know.

Yes I find myself eating a meal to the point of comfortable and instead of disposing the left overs or putting it away I leave it and come back to it in 30 mins or so to finish it even though I am not really hungry it's head hunger. The more I enjoyed the food the more likely I am to do it and there's the old "can't waste good food " mind set too.

My team say what you haven't eaten in 20 mins of slow eating ( another thing I haven’t mastered) you discard.

Boredom is a big trigger for me especially on nightshift as they can be very quiet.

1 minute ago, SleeverSk said:

Yes I find myself eating a meal to the point of comfortable and instead of disposing the left overs or putting it away I leave it and come back to it in 30 mins or so to finish it even though I am not really hungry it's head hunger. The more I enjoyed the food the more likely I am to do it and there's the old "can't waste good food " mind set too.

My team say what you haven't eaten in 20 mins of slow eating ( another thing I haven’t mastered) you discard.

Boredom is a big trigger for me especially on nightshift as they can be very quiet.

It’s a shame that eating food is acceptable to tamper your boredom but a book or puzzle isn’t quite okay for most jobs. One thing that may help is those zero sugar lollipops. They keep your hand and mouth busy. They helped me when I quit smoking the first time.

You’ll get that 69 again.

My 1 year anniversary is 28th july
Ah ok, i thought so as i couldnt imagine u could do this straight after surgery.
I had sleeve done 4 weeks ago and im struggling with soft food stage, keep getting sick. Im reverting back to Soups for few days to see if it helps.
Did you manage to lose your goal weight?
I wouldnt beat yourself up about your binge, i imagine its going to happen from time to time, guess the hard part is trying to ensure it doesnt happen too often.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, elesir8 said:

Ah ok, i thought so as i couldnt imagine u could do this straight after surgery.
I had sleeve done 4 weeks ago and im struggling with soft food stage, keep getting sick. Im reverting back to Soups for few days to see if it helps.
Did you manage to lose your goal weight?
I wouldnt beat yourself up about your binge, i imagine its going to happen from time to time, guess the hard part is trying to ensure it doesnt happen too often.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BariatricPal mobile app

Yeah I struggled early on too I found at the 2 month mark things started to get easier and Improved each month from there. I reverted back to the previous stages too, I was on soft foods for ages.

I didn't have a goal weight from my surgeon but I had a a tentative goal of 70kg which I reset when I was 73kg to 60 kg as I still had a bit a fat to loose. I don't know if I will get to 60kg as my weight loss has slowed right down but it has slowed due to some of my food and mainly drink choices (coke) .

I was really surprised how easy the "binge" was and how much I was able to eat but you are right now I know I can take steps for it not to happen again

On 6/13/2022 at 6:57 PM, SleeverSk said:

I also haven't mastered "slow eating". By the time I am able to eat, I'm usually pretty hungry and scarf it down...and then it's over and I'm sad. lol

I had my first dumping experience yesterday. I got some refried Beans at the taqueria. 1/2 cup and ooof! So nauseous and I had to go lay down with a cool washcloth on my forehead until it passed.

Sorry to hear about your "slip up," as you know and mentioned, try to be kinder to yourself, try not to beat yourself up. I go thru the same thing. While the bingeing has been much better under control, I have had the same thing happen since surgery. For me its always when my chronic pain flares up or I'm really tired from being up the night before in pain. I get depressed when I have to cancel my plans the next day because I'm in too much pain. Thats when the bingeing starts. I eat for energy, to make me feel better and because I'm down.

What I've realized, for myself anyway, once I start eating carbs, like ice cream, I want more carbs. There is a whole physical/psychological explanation for this, I won't repeat it, because I'm sure we've all read it somewhere. But, you are right, it is a slippery slope. But you stopped it! Its not continuing on day after day, I think the best thing we can do for ourselves is to be gentle.

I start planning my healthy diet for the next day to break the cycle. there was a time when I would binge one full day, then feel so ashamed, embarrassed, disgusted with myself, not to mention the food hang over I would have. So, the next day would be a smaller binge, then the 3rd day an even smaller one. Now, when it happens one day, I forgive myself but get right back on track the next day.

Wishing you the best of luck, you've come this far and done great!

On 6/11/2022 at 3:26 AM, SleeverSk said:

Just because you can doesnt mean you should.

I just had to remind myself of that 1.5 weeks ago! I got absent-minded one evening while snacking from a can of wasabi-and-soy-sauce almonds and ate WAY too many of them, and I woke up in the middle of the night feeling the worst I've felt since surgery -- I even had my first foamies. I couldn't eat any solid food other than fruit for two days afterwards. :(

My ill effects are always delayed: I seem to be able to eat whatever I want while I'm eating it, but anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours later is when I'll pay. I'm gradually learning to keep certain things out of the house because I will definitely overeat them -- like Wheat Thins, those particular flavored almonds, and some honey roasted sesame sticks that I just bought (so good!).