Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Docs in Maryland

Hi Susan. I had Dr. Kimberley Steele at Johns Hopkins Bayview. She was wonderful and I'm very pleased with everything! I was so excited yesterday because I actually bought a couple of shirts in size 1X. That's incredible for me because I think I skipped over from big kid sizes into 3X then 4X! There is a board for Marylander's where you can probably find more info about other drs in Maryland. Dr. Steele is great, but if you're not close to Bayview, it wouldn't make sense to go with her when there are so many other folks out there doing the surgery.

Welcome to the boards!

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie: Congrats on making it to a 1x. I know that's exciting. Just think by summer you'll probably be a size M. I can't wait to be that size! :-). Please let me know your progress.

Regarding doctors, I work at GBMC so I'm using the practice there. I was just wondering if anyone else had used them.

Merry Christmas

Suzy: I have Dr. Moe also. I feel like no one has paid me much mind. I go once a month for a group session with Sloane and that's it. I don't know where I am as fas as the approval process, I don't know what to expect regarding the surgery, etc. When did they ever talk to you? I'm really feeling frustrated.;)

Try Drs Singh and Averbach. They practice at St. Agnes in Catonsville. My friend had her surgery with Dr. Averbach. I am working with Dr. SIngh. He's great and he has trained many Maryland doctors on laprosopic surgery. There is also Sr. Sofransky in Salisbgury. Dr. Sofransky charges a $2500 fee for extras that your insurance will not pay for. That was the price two years ago. it may have gone up.

Hi livn,

Well, I know that the office has gone through a personnel change over the last few months. I was sort of in the middle of it and the only difficulty I had was getting them to send/fax me the list of required medical tests to my family doctor for pre op testing. It became a hassle but all worked out in the end.

I'm not sure about your approval process, but a lot depends on your insurance. I met the "national standards" for obesity as required by my insurance (BC/BS Federal). Some insurances require a year of recorded dieting, thankfully mine did not. My insurance also required a "center of excellence" which does fit with GBMC.

I went to GBMC at my diabetes doctor suggestion..he had 11 patients before me that had lap band surgery and all went there...another had RNY but in DC....all lap banders are doing extremely well.

As for GBMC, I can't complain...except for the initial paperwork delay. Post op, I ended up back in the hospital....had surgery Friday and did well on Saturday, but on Sunday afternoon, I couldn't get liquids down....Called Dr. Mo Monday AM and he had me come straight in..here, my esophagas had swollen (very rare)..admitted me into the hospital for 1-1/2 days for IVs, was preventing dehydration, plus steroid IVs for getting the swelling down....Dr. Mo was great throughout....I've been back a few times, with no problems with the office...yet to get my 1st fill. I still have some restrictions and don't have the need yet...am losing 1-2 lbs per week so Dr. Mo and I discussed putting it off until I need it. I cancelled my December appt for a fill and will go back in January for check up.

I really haven't been involved in the monthly meetings...just don't have the time to get up there....I work in DC and just adopted a greyhound that keeps me busy...

I know people have complained about GBMC, but if you feel uneasy, check out all of the other places nearby...make sure you are comfortable with your choice....

I'd probably go back to GBMC over again..

GOOD LUCK !

Hi Susan,

I live in Harford County, but I opted to go up to Dr. Currie @ the Weight Loss Clinic in Harrisburg, PA for my surgery. I had my surgery a little over a year ago and, while I have not broken any speed records for rapid weight loss -- due to the fact that: 1) I have not done much exercise and 2) I rediscovered the Dairy Queen Blizzard over the summer -- I have still been very pleased with my results. Without the band I would have gained all of my weight back with my DQ runs and my lack of exercise. Instead, I am more than 50# lighter than I was a year ago and I fully expect to lose the next 50# in 2008 (now that I will be driving by DQ without stopping and because I have finally started to exercise religiously!)

I selected Dr. Currie based on the fact that they had done a lot more lap bands than most of the local bariatric docs (the vast majority around here do a lot of gastric bypass, but very few bands) and the good things I had heard about how they were friendlier and had a better bedside manner than a lot of the docs closer to home. Every time I go up to the office I meet more Marylanders there...it has been a good experience for me.

Good luck with whichever surgeon you choose. You're doing the right thing and doing your homework...

MarySue

I went to Dr Averbach at St Agnes and have been pleased so far. I go for a fill next month and am looking forward to feedback on progress or rather on what I currently think is a lack thereof....

I live in Southern Maryland and had my surgery with Dr. Brody at George Washington University Hospital in DC. It was a wonderful experience and I am so thankful to him and his entire staff. I highly recommend him. If you would like contact information for him, I can certainly provide it to you. Good luck!!!!

I used Dr. Greene in Gaithersburg. He did the surgery at SHady grove - I am a newbie - only 6 days post op - but so far I can say his program and hisprotocal is amazing.