Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you lose your tummy fat last?

So I believe tummy fat usually does take time to lose. I have noticed losing weight overall from most areas of the body and of course tummy as well. But it seems more is coming from areas than tummy.

Abdominal fat is a resistive for sure. What can be done to speed it up? Or will it the last one on the weight lost track?

Hey, I would like to hear this, I have not lost dramatically as other people here but what is gone is from the parts I did not mind to have fat LOL. Tummy is still there, my husband says it is getting smaller but the mirror does not agree with him.

7 minutes ago, LaTiaV said:

Hey, I would like to hear this, I have not lost dramatically as other people here but what is gone is from the parts I did not mind to have fat LOL. Tummy is still there, my husband says it is getting smaller but the mirror does not agree with him.

Seriously it's a struggle 😂

I can see my face getting smaller but can't the same for tummy. 😂

I wouldn't use the mirror as a judge. For those of us who are/have been overweight, we can have very disordered thinking when it comes to what we see in the mirror vs. reality.

Are you measuring to see if you actually are losing inches? I was convinced I was not losing from my legs or booty, but then I started measuring and it helped a lot to help show that I was in fact losing when my brain was telling me I was not.

Well this is a bummer to hear about. My belly is where I started carrying most of my weight when I turned 50. I would pay money to lose my belly weight first! It makes me look pregnant. Ugh, this is not encouraging news. I wonder if we can do AB crunches and other abdominal workouts after surgery. This is probably a good question for my exercise physiologist who I will see two weeks after my surgery.

it probably depends on the person and where you carry your fat. I was apple-shaped, so I carried most of my fat in my gut. I probably lost it there at the same rate I lost it anywhere else, but because there was so much more of it there, maybe it wasn't as obvious? (it's been a few years so I honestly don't remember)

Yeah, I think it's an individual thing and dependent on how you put weight on. I put weight on from my head to my toes, though at my heaviest my body began storing more around my stomach. I'm losing it in exactly the same pattern. It's coming off evenly all over, however because I ate myself into a big gut, my stomach is still the biggest part of my body. It will come off, but it will likely take longer than I'd Iike.

However, at the end of the day I did this to myself, and you don't get anything for free. This is the consequence I have to accept. But the upside is I'm still much happier with myself as I am currently, than what I was pre-surgery. At least when I lie down, my stomach flattens out and I can feel hips and ribs I haven't felt in decades!

Edited by Smanky

7 hours ago, Queen ApisM said:

Are you measuring to see if you actually are losing inches? I was convinced I was not losing from my legs or booty, but then I started measuring and it helped a lot to help show that I was in fact losing when my brain was telling me I was not.

I do measure myself. Like I mentioned in my first post, I have lost inches, but not as significant as other areas I would say. Let's see. I don't like measuring myself too often since inches lose quite closely with weight. But I do keep a track of it.

I’m pear shaped and have lost weight/inches off my stomach, but the extra skin still hands off the front like an apron. I’ve a ways to go yet and try to look at a number of non-scale victories like climbing stairs easier, new smaller flattering clothes, or balancing on one leg longer than 10 seconds. I still measure mostly so I find the right sizes online or in thrift stores. I realized that the bat wings on my arms are not going to give me an accurate measure because there’s so much leftover skin. I try to focus on my muscle definition instead. The skin is my Clark Kent outfit, but underneath I’m Super Woman!

My belly still has a belly even after 60 pounds lost. Not huge, but it's a tough area to reduce.

3 hours ago, learn2cook said:

The skin is my Clark Kent outfit, but underneath I’m Super Woman!

I love this.

ok I measured, looks like I have lost 5 inches from the belly area, but still I cannot see a difference in me, I may need eyeglasses.

20 hours ago, LaTiaV said:

The mirror is a TERRIBLE judge. You know that friend/cousin/sibling who will compulsively lie to you and you cannot trust a single word they say unless you verify it with someone else? That's your mirror.

When I look in the mirror, I still see a giant belly. If I went solely by the mirror, I would judge the surgery to have been a massive failure.

Last May, I ordered a custom suit online, based on my measurements. It fit fairly well at the time. I had surgery in August. Yesterday, I tried the jacket on and I was swimming in it. I looked like a 12 year old boy who tried his father's suit on. If your clothing -- especially shirts and jackets -- fit looser than they did pre-surgery, then you are losing off your tummy, no matter what the mirror says.

Edited by Splenda

2 hours ago, Splenda said:

The mirror is a TERRIBLE judge. You know that friend/cousin/sibling who will compulsively lie to you and you cannot trust a single word they say unless you verify it with someone else? That's your mirror.

When I look in the mirror, I still see a giant belly. If I went solely by the mirror, I would judge the surgery to have been a massive failure.

Last May, I ordered a custom suit online, based on my measurements. It fit fairly well at the time. I had surgery in August. Yesterday, I tried the jacket on and I was swimming in it. I looked like a 12 year old boy who tried his father's suit on. If your clothing -- especially shirts and jackets -- fit looser than they did pre-surgery, then you are losing off your tummy, no matter what the mirror says.

Thanks and congratulations on your progress, I am sure you still looked cute in your big suit. I may be too focused on the before and after pictures and videos that I see online. The differences are so obvious and I start dreaming but then I see myself and ... oh!! sad reality!. I must be patient and hope that all this discomfort pays up some day. I do not complain I have never lost 35 pounds in 6 weeks before and I tried a lot harder than this.

11 minutes ago, LaTiaV said:

Thanks and congratulations on your progress, I am sure you still looked cute in your big suit. I may be too focused on the before and after pictures and videos that I see online. The differences are so obvious and I start dreaming but then I see myself and ... oh!! sad reality!. I must be patient and hope that all this discomfort pays up some day. I do not complain I have never lost 35 pounds in 6 weeks before and I tried a lot harder than this.

A few things:

1. You are about six weeks out of surgery. At six weeks, I had lost some weight and a few people noticed, but not many. I had lost about 10% of my starting body weight at six weeks (according to your sidebar, you've lost close to 15%). I am at the seven month mark and I am finally around the point where random co-workers have really noticed my weight loss. Keep it up and the before and after photos will come (my before/after looks pretty shocking).

2. Even though I have a shocking before/after, I still don't see it in the mirror. Really. Truly. If I went solely off the mirror, I would say that my face looks a little thinner, but not much else. I didn't understand how a non-insane person could have body dysmorphia until I had this surgery. I have way more sympathy for people who are anorexic after this experience.

5 minutes ago, Splenda said:

A few things:

1. You are about six weeks out of surgery. At six weeks, I had lost some weight and a few people noticed, but not many. I had lost about 10% of my starting body weight at six weeks (according to your sidebar, you've lost close to 15%). I am at the seven month mark and I am finally around the point where random co-workers have really noticed my weight loss. Keep it up and the before and after photos will come (my before/after looks pretty shocking).

2. Even though I have a shocking before/after, I still don't see it in the mirror. Really. Truly. If I went solely off the mirror, I would say that my face looks a little thinner, but not much else. I didn't understand how a non-insane person could have body dysmorphia until I had this surgery. I have way more sympathy for people who are anorexic after this experience.

You have lost 166#, that is a lot, and you are very tall. I was 165# 20 years ago when I got married. By then I was already starting my endless diets and exercise routines which worked for a while and then bring me more weight each time. I know that works for many people I just could not find the right combination that worked for me.

My psychologist told me to be merciful with myself during this period, like I would be with a dear friend who needed help. I do not hate what I see in the mirror, I still like that person (belly and all).

I an happy to have found this page, it is nice to find support from people who understands exactly what I am going trough. Thanks for being kind to me.