Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping or something else?

Hey! I'm one month post op and cleared for soft foods. Yesterday I ate a one egg omelet for Breakfast. Went down well and no sickness. Then for lunch my family was eating Chinese. I wanted to try some soft veggies so I ate prob about 4 oz of cooked zuchinnni and Water chestnuts in a brown sauce. I again felt fine and didn't think of anything of it. Then fast forward 4 hours later I was trying to finish my Protein Shake before bed. I started having pain like right under my lungs, fast heart beat and nausea like crazy. I didn't puke but I didn't feel right. I went to bed and woke up normal again. Do you think that was related to dumping or something else?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

No idea but I had this. Did you chew really really (really!) well? Because I don't think I did. Since I've made it my mission to chew things into literal oblivion, this hasn't happened again.

Oh, the other thing I can't really eat are things that are a bit..."gluey". Hard, crunchy things like nuts are great. So are soft things. But I've had tough times with queso (cheese sauce) and potato chips and also things that cannot be totally chewed away like fruit skins.

I made sure to chew really well but maybe it was the skins on the Zuchinni? It could've def been a bit more cooked. I just find it weird it happened like 4 hours later. Not sure what that was about.

Mine also happened much later. I think the food was just sitting there, not bothering anyone but not going anywhere either. It's only when I drank a little and the Water was sitting on top of the food that everything went wrong.

dumping is when you eat too much sugar (or for some people, fat) at one sitting, and your intestines go into overdrive trying to deal with it. It involves sweating and/or chills, dizziness, rapid heart beat, and diarrhea, usually. Some people get nauseated, too - but that's supposedly not as common.

you said it happened after you drank a Protein Shake. Did the Protein shake have sugar in it? If not, it could have been the lactose or whatever artificial sweetener they use. Those typically don't cause dumping, but some people are very intolerant of them and that can also cause the symptoms you mentioned.

or it just could have been your stomach rebelling against...something. I had that kind of thing happen occasionally the first couple of months out. I'd eat something one day and be fine - and then eat it another day and my pouch would rebel. Just keep monitoring it and see if some kind of pattern emerges. If yes, it could be dumping or it could be a reaction to lactose or some artificial sweetener (and you'll figure out what's setting it off sooner or later). If there's no pattern, it may have just been some random thing that may or may not happen again. Your pouch may have just been unhappy for some reason...

@catwoman7 exactly - I had a (self induced) vomiting session behind my parked car outside a children's birthday party after eating 2 potato chips and nothing else the entire day and chewing them completely. Something inside me was just completely unhappy with them and neither I nor my surgeon knows why. I can eat a handful of properly chewed peanuts without any problem and what the real difference is, I couldn't guess. But the upshot is, I'll never eat another potato chip because they don't taste good enough to risk spewing onto my car tyre again.

I had a similar problem. I had eaten less than a quarter of a toasted pita. I know I didn't chew it well enough. A few hours later, I had the worst pains beneath my diaphragm. I vomited 3x and was nauseous all night. This "episode" lasted about 6-7 hours. I think it was my pouch rejecting the pita. I'm terrified to eat anything of substance now.

Ugh that sounds terrible everyone :( I'm sorry that happened to you all. I guess it's bound to happen one of these days being so new. The weird part is I had no carbohydrates. There mightve been a little sugar in the sauce the veggies came with but no clue why besides that I got such bad nausea and rapid heartbeat.

I had one vegetarian meatball today and a Protein yogurt. So far so good but now I'm terrified to drink my Protein Shake because that's where it seemed to go downhill yesterday. Ughhh when will this fear go away?

Oh just found out Water chestnuts have a good amount of carbohydrates in them....maybe that was the culprit?

4 hours ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Ugh that sounds terrible everyone :( I'm sorry that happened to you all. I guess it's bound to happen one of these days being so new. The weird part is I had no carbohydrates. There mightve been a little sugar in the sauce the veggies came with but no clue why besides that I got such bad nausea and rapid heartbeat.

I had one vegetarian meatball today and a Protein yogurt. So far so good but now I'm terrified to drink my Protein Shake because that's where it seemed to go downhill yesterday. Ughhh when will this fear go away?

It looks like we are about the same time in our post op healing. I'm terrified to eat because of that painful episode I had. I never want to experience that again.

Hang in there and try new things one at a time. I'm guessing it was the Water chestnuts that caused your discomfort. They are probably not soft enough to digest yet. Our pouches are like little babies right now and have to learn what they can tolerate. If you have kids, think back to when you were introducing them to solids. pureed foods, soft, mushy, and then tougher foods. (I'll remind myself, too.)

Sounds like dumping to me. The nausea, the fast heart beat, discomfort are the first stages. Add in vomiting &/or diarrhoea & you’ve had the full on complete dumping experience.

Coarse, dry or fibrous foods tend to cause the foamies as they get ‘stuck’. Occurs quickly, almost immediately after or during eating. Lots of salvia, coughing to bring up what’s stuck & maybe regurgitate what you just ate - whatever was stuck. Foamies pass very quickly - regurgitate & a couple of minutes later you’re fine. Dumping occurs if certain foods like sugars are processed through your tummy too quickly & ‘dumped’ into the small intestines. Dumping occurs a little after eating - 30 minutes to a couple of hours later. It can take a a couple of hours to feel okay again after a dumping episode.

Dairy products (as can certain fats or fried foods) can cause dumping too so it likely was the Protein Shake. As @catwoman7 said, it may be a temporary upset as our tummy can be sensitive & fussy at first & something we eat one day without issue suddenly is disgusting or makes us sick the next.

Try some lactose free dairy & plant based Protein Shakes for a little while & see how you go.

8 hours ago, Making_changes said:

I had a similar problem. I had eaten less than a quarter of a toasted pita. I know I didn't chew it well enough. A few hours later, I had the worst pains beneath my diaphragm. I vomited 3x and was nauseous all night. This "episode" lasted about 6-7 hours. I think it was my pouch rejecting the pita. I'm terrified to eat anything of substance now.

I was also terrified, but don't be. Try some very hard, crunchy things like roasted almonds. I find thinks like that are great to start with because they can be chewed down more completely than something like pita which, when chewed, essentially reverts back to dough. Have a go! I also find a moist white fish quite easy to go at.

6 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Sounds like dumping to me. The nausea, the fast heart beat, discomfort are the first stages. Add in vomiting &/or diarrhoea & you’ve had the full on complete dumping experience.

Coarse, dry or fibrous foods tend to cause the foamies as they get ‘stuck’. Occurs quickly, almost immediately after or during eating. Lots of salvia, coughing to bring up what’s stuck & maybe regurgitate what you just ate - whatever was stuck. Foamies pass very quickly - regurgitate & a couple of minutes later you’re fine. Dumping occurs if certain foods like sugars are processed through your tummy too quickly & ‘dumped’ into the small intestines. Dumping occurs a little after eating - 30 minutes to a couple of hours later. It can take a a couple of hours to feel okay again after a dumping episode.

Dairy products (as can certain fats or fried foods) can cause dumping too so it likely was the Protein Shake. As @catwoman7 said, it may be a temporary upset as our tummy can be sensitive & fussy at first & something we eat one day without issue suddenly is disgusting or makes us sick the next.

Try some lactose free dairy & plant based Protein Shakes for a little while & see how you go.

Thank you, I finally understand this now. I know what happen to me last week now, dumping on restaurant food.

The weird part is my Protein Shakes are dairy free because the milk ones ruin my digestion. I feel like it was the Water chestnuts and maybe some vegetable skins? Either way staying away from that. Just meal prepped a bunch of pureed stuff too so I don't reach for something like that again. [emoji28]