Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new here and have a few questions

I had my surgery last thurs (mar 3) and today I started "week 2" of the diet my doctor gave me. This consists of all the liquids of week 1 plus low sugar oatmeal, yogurt, applesauce and mashed potatoes. I just have a few questions:

1. What does everyone experience when they say "i cant do (insert food here)".. how do you know when you cant tolerate a food? I ask because a few people I talked to always just say "i felt like i was dying" and that TERRIFIED me so now im so nervous to even eat a darn thing.

2. my sheet says to do 3 meals a day but I can add a snack. How long between meals and when do I do the snack?

3. Why am I so hungry and is there anything I can do to curb my appetite? I want to eat more mashed potatoes but I am only allowed 2 tsp a meal which is so small lol

thanks in advance everyone!

Welcome to the group. Make sure you fill out all your information on your sidebar to give us more information on you. (Weight, height, surgery type ect...) it helps a ton. hopefully someone here will answer your questions. :)

It would be helpful to all of us reading your questions to know your stats. You can fill that out on your profile. It consists of which surgery you had, your beginning weight and your height. It helps those who would like to answer your questions answer them properly, because sometimes the answers can vary depending on which surgery you had. Thx.

6 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

Welcome to the group. Make sure you fill out all your information on your sidebar to give us more information on you. (Weight, height, surgery type ect...) it helps a ton. hopefully someone here will answer your questions. :)

5 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

It would be helpful to all of us reading your questions to know your stats. You can fill that out on your profile. It consists of which surgery you had, your beginning weight and your height. It helps those who would like to answer your questions answer them properly, because sometimes the answers can vary depending on which surgery you had. Thx.

just added thanks

When I had my Lap Band, foods would get stuck. That's how I knew I couldn't tolerate a food. I'm pre op for RNY so I can't really answer from an RNY standpoint yet. I was told a meal should last 3 to 4 hours. That was solid foods. It's going to be harder when you're on liquids because they offer very little satiety. As for why you're hungry now, I'll let those with RNY surgery answer that, I have zero personal experience yet. But I do know when I had my Lap Band I never felt satiety until I could eat solid Protein, like chicken. But RNY could be different. Soon the RNY veterans should be chiming in on these topics.

I wish you the best on your journey.

1. What does everyone experience when they say "i cant do (insert food here)".. how do you know when you cant tolerate a food? I ask because a few people I talked to always just say "i felt like i was dying" and that TERRIFIED me so now im so nervous to even eat a darn thing.
-Try to relax and just try one new food at a time, slowly, as your plan dictates I didn’t have any foods that didn’t agree with me I can eat anything I ate pre surgery

2. my sheet says to do 3 meals a day but I can add a snack. How long between meals and when do I do the snack?

-I have two Snacks a day and I eat at 9-12-3-6-9 (breakfast at 9, lunch at 12, snack at 3, dinner at 6 and snack at 9) that way I am eating every 3 hours. This has worked for me but you will have to tweak it to fit your lifestyle and how many snacks you do

3. Why am I so hungry and is there anything I can do to curb my appetite? I want to eat more mashed potatoes but I am only allowed 2 tsp a meal which is so small lol.
-Some people say that warm tea helps them with the hunger. I didn’t have real hunger, just head hunger and that you just have to try to ignore. You can tell the difference because real hunger you could eat anything. You are just starving while head hunger you usually crave something specific. More time than not it something you really shouldn’t be eating.

Edited by ShoppGirl