Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight did you lose per month after 6 months?

I lost 93lbs in the first 6 months after I got a vsg. I have 20lbs until I reach a healthy weight and was wondering how much weight did you lose per month after 6 months?

23 minutes ago, Rey Rodriguez said:

I lost 93lbs in the first 6 months after I got a vsg. I have 20lbs until I reach a healthy weight and was wondering how much weight did you lose per month after 6 months?

Congratulations!! that is an awesome loss!!

=====================================

My surgery was on 25 Jun 21....my 6 month mark was on Christmas day.

Month 1 start: 251.8 (surgery day)
Month 2 start: 232.6 (-19.2 pounds)
Month 3 start: 221.6 (-11 pounds)
Month 4 start: 212.6 (-9 pounds)
Month 5 start: 202.0 (-10.6 pounds)
Month 6 start: 190.4 (-11.6 pounds)
Month 6 end: 188.4 (- 2 pounds [first major stall])

Total lost in my first 6 months was 63.4 pounds. I believe I am a slow loser and that is fine with me. I have had constant heartburn that is currently being taken care of with OTC medication and may need an additional surgery to repair it. It is what it is..... I am just glad that I am no longer obese and that my size 12 jeans are getting loose on me. I've still got 40+ pounds to make it to my goal but I am in no hurry. My high weight was 275 and everything is going the right direction....that is all I care about.

On 01/12/2022 at 11:30, SarahMan80 said:

Congratulations!! that is an awesome loss!!

=====================================

My surgery was on 25 Jun 21....my 6 month mark was on Christmas day.

Month 1 start: 251.8 (surgery day)

Month 2 start: 232.6 (-19.2 pounds)

Month 3 start: 221.6 (-11 pounds)

Month 4 start: 212.6 (-9 pounds)

Month 5 start: 202.0 (-10.6 pounds)

Month 6 start: 190.4 (-11.6 pounds)

Month 6 end: 188.4 (- 2 pounds [first major stall])

Total lost in my first 6 months was 63.4 pounds. I believe I am a slow loser and that is fine with me. I have had constant heartburn that is currently being taken care of with OTC medication and may need an additional surgery to repair it. It is what it is..... I am just glad that I am no longer obese and that my size 12 jeans are getting loose on me. I've still got 40+ pounds to make it to my goal but I am in no hurry. My high weight was 275 and everything is going the right direction....that is all I care about.

Congratulations!! That’s amazing and I hope it continues to go well for you! Sorry to hear about the heartburn. I haven’t had any issues with that but I know many people who have. Hopefully things will get better in that regard.

Here's my months - my surgery was early in December 2020, so I can just go by my app month by month:

Month 1: -39.0 lbs
Month 2: -23.2 lbs
Month 3: -15.4 lbs
Month 4: -12.1 lbs
Month 5: -12.8 lbs
Month 6: -14.1 lbs
Month 7: -4.4 lbs
Month 8: -9.3 lbs
Month 9: -5.5 lbs
Month 10: -6.6 lbs
Month 11: -2.2 lbs
Month 12: -3.3 lbs
Month 13: -8.4 lbs*

*COVID infection had me down five extra pounds, they've come right back. Probably dehydration. My 'real' month 13 loss is around 3-4 lbs.

On 01/12/2022 at 12:14, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Here's my months - my surgery was early in December 2020, so I can just go by my app month by month:

Month 1: -39.0 lbs

Month 2: -23.2 lbs

Month 3: -15.4 lbs

Month 4: -12.1 lbs

Month 5: -12.8 lbs

Month 6: -14.1 lbs

Month 7: -4.4 lbs

Month 8: -9.3 lbs

Month 9: -5.5 lbs

Month 10: -6.6 lbs

Month 11: -2.2 lbs

Month 12: -3.3 lbs

Month 13: -8.4 lbs*

*COVID infection had me down five extra pounds, they've come right back. Probably dehydration. My 'real' month 13 loss is around 3-4 lbs.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing!! I just had Covid and lost 3lbs so I’m wondering if they’ll come back but I’m only 6 months post-op

Keep in mind that everyone's progress is different because of the weight they started at, their BMI, how much they lost already, how much they had to lose total, and other factors. That being said, after 6 months my weight loss went to normal pre-WLS rates of about 5 lbs per month.

I'm 10 lbs. from my new goal I set at the time of my surgery. Since my revision from VSG to RNY in August 2021, about 9 to 10 lbs. a month, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. I've lost about 65 lbs. in 5 months.

everyone is different because people start at different BMIs, are different heights, some people have a higher percentage of muscle, some people have higher metabolism rates, some people are more active, etc etc etc. It took me almost two years to lose all my weight because I had over 200 lbs to lose, but I CAN tell you that those last 20 lbs or so are a b***ch to get off. It takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

basically, the closer you are to a normal BMI, the slower it goes...my last few months I lost like 2 lbs a month.

Edited by catwoman7

8 hours ago, Rey Rodriguez said:

5’2” female (was 46 yrs old when I had my surgery in 2018); 235 lbs at the start of my 2wk pre-op diet.

weight lost as follows:

2 week liquid pre-op diet: 11.8 lbs
Month 1: 22.2 lbs

Month 2: 15.8 lbs
Month 3: 13.2 lbs
Month 4: 11.1 lbs
Month 5: 10.3 lbs
Month 6: 12.5 lbs
Month 7: 9.0 lbs (Reached Goal by this point…127 lbs)

Months 8-12: 15-ish lbs more.

Today at 3+ years out, I have maintained +/- 5lbs of 115 lbs since, and managed to stay below goal weight the entire time.

My average calories to maintain changes as my activity levels change, but for the past several months I average about 1800 cals a day with moderate exercise. I weighed 116.6 lbs this morning.

I used to be ultra-low carb, but now I eat pretty much whatever I feel for..though in smallish amounts.

On 01/12/2022 at 14:39, Tomo said:

I'm 10 lbs. from my new goal I set at the time of my surgery. Since my revision from VSG to RNY in August 2021, about 9 to 10 lbs. a month, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. I've lost about 65 lbs. in 5 months.

Omg that’s amazing!!! Congratulations!!

On 01/12/2022 at 17:39, catwoman7 said:

everyone is different because people start at different BMIs, are different heights, some people have a higher percentage of muscle, some people have higher metabolism rates, some people are more active, etc etc etc. It took me almost two years to lose all my weight because I had over 200 lbs to lose, but I CAN tell you that those last 20 lbs or so are a b***ch to get off. It takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

basically, the closer you are to a normal BMI, the slower it goes...my last few months I lost like 2 lbs a month.

Oh gosh, that’s what I heard. I’m just trying to stay motivated and not check the scale as often because I just want to finally be at a healthy weight!!

6 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I used to be ultra-low carb, but now I eat pretty much whatever I feel for..though in smallish amounts.

Were you ultra low carb throughout the weight loss phase? What's ultra low carb for you? Do you remember the grams?

And how did the calories look like during those months? If you it recorded or remember?

Edited by DaisyAndSunshine

Start pre-op: 112 kg / 247 lbs
Surgery: 108 kg / 238 lbs (- 9lbs)
1 mo: 99 kg / 218 lbs (- 20 lbs)
2 mo: 93,5 kg / 206 lbs (-12 lbs)
3 mo: 87 kg / 192 lbs (-14 lbs)
4 mo: 84 kg / 185 lbs (-7 lbs)

I started at BMI 35 so my weightloss has not been as fast as others, but I'm happy with it.

I'm almost 5 months post-op right now, so I don't have more data. I'm just a few pounds away from a healty BMI and my weightloss has definitely slowed down. I've also been struggling since the holidays. Have been eating more crap than I should. Having trouble getting back on track. Would ideally like to get down to 70 kg, but I can't even remember ever being that weight, so I honestly don't even know if that's a realistic goal.

5 hours ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

Were you ultra low carb throughout the weight loss phase? What's ultra low carb for you? Do you remember the grams?

And how did the calories look like during those months? If you it recorded or remember?

Yeah, i went ultra low throughout the 7 months of weight loss phase, for me, that meant under 20g NET carbs per day (i don’t count fibre nor sugar alcohols).

For about a year into maintenance, I just went “regular” low-carb at about 50~60g net daily. Now, while I do still keep track of my daily carb amounts, I don’t try to stick to any limits or anything…I track mostly for data collection and future analysis (yeah im nerdy like that, lol).

In terms of calorie consumption, here are the averages during MY weight loss phase….

NOTE: my calorie intake is on the low side compared to others I’ve read on here. I do not recommend anyone do as I do without a consultation with a medical professional. It worked for me…and may or may not work for you.

2 week liquid pre-op diet: 600-900 cals (I had either 2 or 3 Protein Shakes a day)
First 2 weeks post op: 50 cals a day (no joke…surprised I didn’t keel over and die)

Week 3 to Month 3: 300-400 a day
Months 4-5: 400-600 a day
Months 6-7: 600-800 a day
Months 8-12…worked up to 1500
Year 2: 2200+ a day (this was my peak exercise/activity period)
Year 3: 1800-2100 a day

Now (in year 4): 1600-2000 a day, but mostly stay around 1800.

I’m 24, 173cm, my pre-op weight was : 256lbs (116kg)

Surgery weight : 113kgs (249)
Month 1 : -9.7kgs (21 lbs)
Month 2 : -5.5kgs (12 lbs)
Month 3 : -5.7kgs (13 lbs)
Month 4 : -2.3 kgs (5 lbs)
Month 5 : -3.1 kgs ( 7 lbs)
Month 6 : so far -4,3 kgs (9lbs)
Current weight : 83 kgs

It’s been 6 months and 11 days since my surgery and I’ve lost 33 kgs since my preop weight. As you can see, sometimes the loss is very minimal, but visually I’ve lost a lot of inches, I’ve had a lot of stalls, but you have to focus on something else and remember that even if the scale isn’t budging you are STILL loosing and you’re still having amazing non scale victories. I’m still 13kgs from my goal weight, but since I started lifting weights, I don’t care about that goal weight and I just want my body to be strong and lean regardless of the number on the scale.
Good luck !