Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I The Only Real Overeater In This Forum??

I recently posted a thread about overeating and the comments I got back made me think that most of the people in here might not really be overeaters just overweight. I know I battle something in my that wants food really bad. Thank God for the band I cant eat what I want. But I was banded for a year and a half and I did real well , then my band eroded and I had to be rebanded. In the time I waited for a fill , I wanted to eat the house and I just about did. I would have thought that my life had changed but the fact is that once I could eat again , MY old addiction came right back. I would have to live in fairy land to believe that you can be completely healed of overeating addiction.

Hi there.

I am an overeater..... First step to recovery is admittance right..... anyway... I hope with my band (which I get Monday.. :eek:) that the I am hungry ALL THE TIME will go away....... you are not alone for sure! :nervous

how much weight did you lose and how fast? i feel like i am trying to manipulate this band. i was banded in july '07 and i have only lost 20 lbs.is there something wrong?

for me I believe that my overeating is a lot like alcoholism...once an overeater...always an overeater. I'm scared to think what would happen if I had to have my band removed. I feel greatful that I got the band when I did because I was beginning to eat myself to death and I didn't care...(thats changed)

I would love to think that I would be able to control myself if the band had to come out but lets face facts for me...if I was able to "control" it...then I would have stopped at 1 piece of pizza instead of the entire thing!

I would imagine that all of us are overeaters otherwise we wouldn't be banded!

My biggest challenge is only eating when I'm hungry (which the band doesn't address!)

Learning to eat 'normally' and limited to meal times for me is the hardest thing with this journey

i was banded the first time in march of 2006 and I lost 150 lbs from march of 06- oct 07 , unfortunately my band eroded and I did get another one directly after removing the old one and While waiting to feel restriction from fills I gained close to 50lbs back. thank God for this band

I agree that if I could have stopped at 1 slice of pizza I wouldnt have had to have the band to begin with. In another post someone said that " with the band if you eat 3 small meals a day and a snack that you would lose fine " , well with the band you definitely will feel restricted from eating all day but without will power you could still minipulate it and thats where the overeating comes in. If you dont still work real hard , you could still gain.

I always figure the overeating addiction is like an alcoholic who is told he has to drink 1/2 a beer three times a day, no more, no less. It's practically impossible to maintain that without some outside help.

I am at the beginning of this journey, and the bad stuff that happens when I eat too much is enough to stop me. I have always . . . well, usually, been able to say no to the bad foods at the store, and since the kids are gone I don't buy much in the way of junk. That is the only way I can survive.

I didn't get that message from the responses you received. I think you'll find the majority of people here are overeaters, but you will also find that some were not. We have people here who were barely overweight. We have some who admit to normal portions, but all the wrong food choices combined with lethargic lifestyles. Etc.

The comment of yours that I emphasized in my quote was specifically what I was addressing. We have I don't know how many members here... there are very, very few situations where you (generically) can say "this is what you will do" and have a chance at being accurate.

Don't feel like "the only one." Regardless of what your situation is, there's probably someone else who shares it with you. Especially when your situation is overeating on a messageboard for fat and formerly fat folks. :eek:

i don't know how my overeating compares, but a 6 inch sub pre banded and i was full. granted, 2 hours later, i was eating again. so, i'm still eating that way..now.

hope it's gets better. although, i may not be able to eat a whole pizza and never could, i still overate.

I would never say "I'm full." I would eat and eat. Stop because I was tired of eating and 30 minutes later be snacking again. I may have been eating alright things.....but I never quit eating.

For me, I believe I will have that "full" sensation and I won't be able to continue eating. I don't think I am actually addressing the issue of why I continued to eat.

I imagine it's like that medicine they can give alcoholics that makes them sick if they drink.....but once the medicine is gone, the addiction is still there. We are not addressing it, just giving us a tool so that we stop.

That's how I think of this process.

Steph

Oh I am an overeater too. Just not overeating junk food. Over eating healthy things and that is the same as overeating junk food though, you still get fat.

The band currently takes all fun & enjoyment out of eating. I dread eating at the moment. I skip food lately and go for the SlimFast or soup.. which does fill me up!

I am addicted to food, so that's pretty darn good.

If my band came off, I know I would be eating the house.

I'm an overeater!!

weird thing is, I don't really eat sweets - actually, a small piece of cake will usually make me feel sick and I have to take off all the frosting.. So, I'm definitely not a sweet tooth.

And, I'm not a snacker either. Occassionally I'll eat some chips during a movie at home, but not often. But, what I do bad is eat huge meals for dinner.

For Breakfast it's usually something small, but for lunch, I was eating like two fajitas and tons of chips and salsa, though lately I've been eating tuna on wheat with lettuce and a cup of fruit.

But, the dinner is where it gets bad. Like last night I had a can of Tomato Soup and almost an entire sleeve of crackers dipped in there! Then, I had a salami sandwhich on wheat!! Then I had about 8 baked doritos! I should have stopped with the Tomato Soup and only eaten half those crackers... but, no.. something in my head said, "this won't fill you up, you need more", even though I was already full from the soup!!! So, I'm hoping this band will help me get this little issue under control.

I also think I'm a bored eater! At work I'm never hungry because I'm busy, but when I get home and I have nothing to do, I eat because its so much fun! food tastes so dang good, doesn't it?? LOL :eek: