Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to the ER last night, less than a day after being released after my surgery because I wasn’t peeing properly. Just a few drops come out when I knew my bladder was full.

They put a catheter in me (it hurt so bad and still does that I’m afraid to move) and sent me home. I am stuck in bed, can’t move, can’t sit because it hurts so bad from the catheter pressure. I can’t take care of myself, and have to wait for my surgeon on Monday to see me. It’s not clear what he can even do, and may need to stay like this until a urologist can see me.

The surgeon on call was no help just told me to go to the ER. I feel really abandoned and I am terrified that having a catheter in this long is going to make it really hard to pee by myself later. I don’t know how I got into this mess but I am so scared.

I’m just focusing on pain management and staying hydrated. Also making sure the catheter doesn’t backflow, I don’t know what I’m doing and am so upset they wouldn’t re-admit me.

I had a drug resistant kidney infection and almost died 2 years ago and none of this feels very safe to have to try to deal with without any training.

Just like, pray for me please.

I had a surgery several years ago (unrelated to bariatric) and was unable to urinate afterwards. Had to be catheterized a few days after surgery. Apparently it’s not uncommon. They removed the catheter a few days later and the plumbing worked fine.

hope you get everything sorted today. When we are vulnerable its tough to have something else to worry about . Big hugs

The catheter was incorrectly placed. The balloon wasn’t in my bladder but my ureathra. So yeah that explains why I was in excruciating pain. My surgeon took it out today and we are hoping I won’t need another.

31 minutes ago, ClareLynn said:

The catheter was incorrectly placed. The balloon wasn’t in my bladder but my ureathra. So yeah that explains why I was in excruciating pain. My surgeon took it out today and we are hoping I won’t need another.

I am so pleased for you. I hope you have a good recovery now

47 minutes ago, ClareLynn said:

So glad you got that out.

I peed! Was having trouble for a minute, then my cat crawled into my pants which were pooled around my ankles. It was such a normal little thing and I think that made it all work.

I’m so glad that things are working again.

Aaaand I’m back in the ER. I got what I thought was a Migraine today. When I took my meds I got sicker and anything I drank, even just 2 sips are being thrown up.

Every ER in the area is full. So I’ve been sitting here for 5 hours waiting. They gave me fluids but refuse to give me any meds through the IV like Tylenol or anti nausea meds so that I could go home.

They want a CT scan since my stomach hurts. I was throwing up a bunch so it’s not surprising it hurts.

A bunch of people have been here for 8+ hours only to give up and go home. I feel like I can’t since I am not sure I can keep fluids down yet.

I spent all day yesterday at the emergency vet with my cat, and now after two days of low access to Water and food, I feel awful and weak…

3 hours ago, ClareLynn said:

Aaaand I’m back in the ER. I got what I thought was a Migraine today. When I took my meds I got sicker and anything I drank, even just 2 sips are being thrown up.

Every ER in the area is full. So I’ve been sitting here for 5 hours waiting. They gave me fluids but refuse to give me any meds through the IV like Tylenol or anti nausea meds so that I could go home.

They want a CT scan since my stomach hurts. I was throwing up a bunch so it’s not surprising it hurts.

A bunch of people have been here for 8+ hours only to give up and go home. I feel like I can’t since I am not sure I can keep fluids down yet.

I spent all day yesterday at the emergency vet with my cat, and now after two days of low access to Water and food, I feel awful and weak…

Gosh I hope you are ok, hopefully its just from stress and not eating/drinking

Clarelynn, my thoughts are with you. Hopefully the fluids helped and it’s something simple that you are on the mend already.

After 9 hours they finally gave me something to stop me from throwing up and for the headache. They said it was a really bad Migraine and my stomach looked ok on the CT scan.

I’m home now and slowly drinking as much as I can to get hydrated.

There were so many people there with COVID. The ambulances just kept coming in and filled up all the available beds. They ended up treating me in a supply closet.

So hidden bonus: my problems drinking and eating, where it wasn’t going directly into my stomach but backing up my esophagus is much better!

As soon as I could drink again after my horrible day of vomiting, I could finally take a sip and not have to wait for it to go down. It’s making it possible to drink the required amount of Water finally!

I guess it must have knocked something loose? 😂

1 hour ago, ClareLynn said:

So hidden bonus: my problems drinking and eating, where it wasn’t going directly into my stomach but backing up my esophagus is much better!

As soon as I could drink again after my horrible day of vomiting, I could finally take a sip and not have to wait for it to go down. It’s making it possible to drink the required amount of Water finally!

I guess it must have knocked something loose? 😂

Maybe but definitely tell your surgeon about what happened.

I called them when I was sick and the only thing they said was “Go to the ER”. I see the surgeon on the 6th and can mention it then.

Well I’m back to having trouble swallowing and have an upper gi tomorrow morning. I hoe they see something that they can fix! 🤞