Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help- major hair loss

Someone please help. I have had MAJOR Hair loss for about 6 weeks now- I mean MAJOR hair loss. It just won't stop. I am lucky that I HAD a very thick head of hair- but I am less than 1/3 of what I had. I'm getting worried. I was banded in July and have lost 64 pounds. Please advise if anyone knows what I should do. :help:

This has happened to me, twice.

2002 it looked like a murder scene of hair in the tub-Atkins Diet

2007 it looks the same...Grudge or Ring movie...hair everywhere- Banding Diet

I can tell you that it will grow back, and you won't go bald. And it will cease.

Did you do anything to make it stop? I thought it would stop eventually- but it's just been so long!

PS- that's funny! It does look like a murder scene. It's gross. My hubby is not finding it amusing anymore!... and neither am I

I've heard of this for By Pass Patients, but it's not very common for Lap Band Patients. Make sure that you're getting enough Protein and make sure that you're taking a daily vitimin. I like Flintstones chewables.< /p>

John

I had this happen as well, and it scared me to death..it will stop and get better, trust me!

You can try Biotin, you get it at the health food store. You also need to have your B levels checked. It can be the root cause. Prenatal Vitamins worked very well for me. (If you are a girl..lol) they have folic acid and all the B's you need!

Good luck!

I go for a fill on Wednesday and will ask him to test my blood. I will hit the prenatals. That's makes sense. Maybe this time they won;t make me sick vs. when I was pregnant- yuck! Did your hair come back?

2B, I didn't see whether you responded to the comment on the lack of Protein? Are you getting 60 - 80 grams a day???

One of the most common symptoms of a lack of Protein is hair loss--and the list of other symptoms goes on and on.

A shake in the morning and one in the evening will provide you with 40+ grams--trust me, protein is essential in we Bariatric patients!

I THINK I'm getting enough- but I could be a bit shy. I have 1 to 2 shakes a say at 24 grams each... and then I eat Protein during the day. I thought it was that too in the beginning- but it still hasn't slowed down and I have increased my input. What other bad thingscan happen with too little protein????

Okay, here's what Women's Health says:

"Lap-Band patients are advised to consumer 50 to 60 grams of Protein daily to avoid Protein deficiency. Protein deficiency causes hair loss, fatigue, edema, muscle weakness, and a delay in wound healing.

A lack of adequate protein may also lead to depression, anxiety, irritability, apathy, and other mental health conditions, as well as cause a number of physical health issues from gallstones to colds, headaches, low blood pressure, anemia, irregular heart rates, and in extreme cases, death. A lab can measure the amount of protein in your blook by performing a serum albumin blood test."

Anyway, this is one of the articles I read in the seven months leading up to my banding--and I've followed its advice faithfully...

I've heard of this for By Pass Patients, but it's not very common for Lap Band Patients. Make sure that you're getting enough Protein and make sure that you're taking a daily vitimin. I like Flintstones chewables.< p>John

Actually its quite common in LB patients. My hair is falling out like crazy and I take my dailies and Calcium chews, and I'm getting over 100 grams of Protein daily.

I'm just praying it'll come back!!!!

ok- makes sense. I also have an issue with the wounds healing. I cut myself on Thanksgiving and it's less than 50% healed. I guess I've gotta make sure to have more Protein

hair loss is common for dieters in general.

And no, I didn't do anything special...just laughed, cried, prayed.

This is a good opportunity to do things with your hair that you never did before...like different hair styles. My hair was so thick a pony tail didn't look good...looked more like a broom.

But with thinning hair, it looks cute in a ponytail.

Good luck...and wait it out.

I went to my dermatologist and he said it was dermatitis brought on by stress to the body and the dermatitis causes the hair to fall out. He told me to get the super intensive (dark blue bottle) Head and Shoulders, and then a regular Head and Shoulders, wash my hair every day and alternate with the two bottles and I would see a difference within a week. I have way too much hair maintenance to wash every day, so instead I wash every three days with the super intensive stuff. I HAVE noticed a change. Hair loss can go on for MONTHS (I think WasABubbleButt said it can go on about 10 months and then let up.) I just wanted it to stop being in complete handfuls, and that has slowed down dramatically since I started with the Shampoo.< /p>

i am now 4 weeks out have noticed in the past few days that my hair on the top of my head forehead is thinning out. i am mortified. i have thin hair to begin with now you can see my sculp. i havent noticed much hair in the shower but i can see the loss in the mirror. how do you get enough nutrients when you can only eat so much a day? i am making a few bad choices so that doesnt help, i am aware that when i eat something that isnt on the diet i try to replace it with something healthy. if i could just skip the other stuff. i also am finding it hard to get enough fluids in, any suggestions? i want to be healthy and have hair.

andrea