Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meal Planning - Nutrients, calories what is most important to you?!

Hello Everyone!

I am 4 weeks post op and was curious for those of you that are having an amazing experience on the losers bench, what is a day like in your shoes food wise? What's your Breakfast, lunch, dinner routine?

Favorite meals? watching carbs? Or just focused on trying to eat? I am just curious and would love to know your experience!

So my primary focus is on getting Protein first and foremost. Partially because it’s filling and partially because I am working out so much that I need the protein for my muscles. I eat 3 meals a day and usually 1 snack. I definitely try to avoid refined carbs for the most part. Now, I’m not going to lie - I’ve had a cookie 3 or 4 times, or a tiny scoop of gourmet ice cream, but those are occasional one-offs and not something I keep in my house. I’m currently at about 1200 calories a day. My breakfast is pretty boring - I either have chobani less sugar added Greek yogurt with a scoop of GENEPRO Protein Powder, 15-16 raspberries or 10-12 blackberries, and 1/3 a cup of purely Elizabeth grain free granola, or half an “egg wrap” - which is using a low carb tortilla (I like the ole version), egg, grilled veggies (zucchini, red pepper, yellow pepper, red onion, zucchini and spinach), ground turkey sausage, and shredded mozzarella. lunch and dinner are just dependent on what I’ve cooked - usually something like spinach stuffed chicken breasts, a fajita bowl (meat, a little cheese, grilled onions, and salsa), ground chicken burger, taco salad, etc. Snacks are usually one of the following - 3 apple slices with 2 TBS natural Peanut Butter (just peanuts - no sugar or salt), cashews, chicka boom popcorn (the sea salt one and I measure out 2 cups), or if I am short on protein, “protein pudding” - 1 sugar free pudding cup with a scoop of genepro protein powder. I do also throw in sugar free popsicles and sugar free fudgesicles (but those are part of the liquids and I don’t have to wait to drink after those). My goal is minimum 80 grams of protein. I still try to be low carb and low sugar but my net carbs are usually around 50-60. That is now - I was definitely lower early on - but trying not to be carb phobic of the good carbs now. I was extremely carb phobic at first. Have added more veggies and fruits in the last couple of months, but again, my #1 goal is protein.

Edited by Crick

FYI, my surgery was gastric bypass, but I think the regimen is similar.

Compared to Crick, I'm just getting started, but I also concentrate on the Protein, and I also try to get in 80 grams per day.

They told me I should give up caffeine, so my morning ritual is now a sugar free popsicle which I take with my morning meds and Vitamins. Thirty minutes or so later I'm having a Pure Protein Drink, good for 30 grams of protein.

For lunch I usually have a fried egg, one strip of bacon or half a turkey sausage patty, and half an English muffin.

My afternoon snack is usually cottage cheese and pineapple. Though my tastes changed after surgery, this is something that always tastes good.

At dinner, there's usually includes a protein portion, a veggie, and a carb portion. Tonight it will be pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, and green Beans. Pork tenderloin is a great choice for good meat at a good price. I buy them at costco for $2.49 a pound. It's the same cut of meat as filet mignon, but it's the pork version. It doesn't have quite the amount of flavor as beef, but a side of sautéed mushrooms brings out the flavor. I like to put a small splash of soy sauce in the mushrooms for an added umami blast.

BTW, everyone should have an sous vide machine to prepare meat perfectly every time. I use the Anova brand.

My evening snack is another Pure Protein drink, so I'm easily making 80 grams of protein.

They told me to cut out whiskey, so my evening ritual is another sugar-free popsicle. Surprisingly, cutting out coffee in the morning and a whiskey at night was easy for me.

(Note: edited to fix some of the capitalization mistakes the web page inserted. I hate that. And it won't let me capitalize that well known warehouse-style retailer that sells roast chickens for $4.99.)

Edited by Dave In Houston

Nice post. Look forward to other replies! I don't normally watch carbs. Protein, as most of us, is my focus. Since I focus on protein, the carbs are naturally low. Also, low calories tend to be low carbs for me at the moment.

In the morning, I like having miso Soup with vegetables and silken tofu in it. Sometimes watered down congee with a soft egg & sesame oil. The soup gives me a jumpstart on getting some liquids in. For lunch/dinner, one of my favorite meals is 50g baked salmon (or soft fish) with soy sauce/lemon/wasabi and/or other spices. If I have room, a couple of bites of veggies. For Snacks, my current favorite is a grapefruit juice popsicle that I make with my favorite grapefruit juice. I also like semi-frozen unsweetened granny smith applesauce or some other pureed fruit like mango.

For drinks, I like adding True lemon, orange, grapefruit or lime to my ice Water.

For Protein Shakes, I like 1 cup of skim milk, 1/2 frozen banana, 1 to 2T PB2 powder and a scoop of GENEPRO.

There is an app called Baritastic it is awesome for tracking everything and really helps me. On a week day I eat a breakstone cottage cheese double with fruit .. usually blueberry. For lunch I alternate tuna in the pouch with light mayo, a dash of mustard, salt and pepper, and egg salad. snack I like hummus or the 2 oz marketfresh guacamole with about 6 pita chips. dinner I have baked or air fried chicken with pinto Beans or green beans. I also like the P3 Protein Snacks when I am in a hurry. I make a taco casserole the family have also. Brown Turkey with taco seasoning, add a can of mild rotel, and a can of black beans drained…. While that is simmering, lay carb control tortillas in the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking dish and spread warmed up fat free re fried beans on top of those … then pour the meat mixture on top and spread out. Cover with fat free Mexican cheese and bake till the cheese is bubbly and brown. This is flavorful and delicious … the rest of the fam can eat with chips

ricotta cheese with Splenda and cinnamon is good also