Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vancouver Banders

Hi Roberta :)

The meeting starts anytime between 6.30 and 7pm. I drive down from Pemberton (just north of Whistler) and depending on the drive and road conditions I usually arrive sometime between 6 and 6.30.....I hate being late and would rather sit and have a coffee and relax.

Thanks for posting the changes for me Doddie :D I have been so crazy busy with both jobs, my mom and my mom-in-law still here after the holidays that I just didn't have time yet...

Anyone that has any questions about the meeting, or input on what topics you might like to cover at the meeting, please feel free to post here (I promise I'll be back to read it!!!) or email me privately at canadagirl33@hotmail.com

So unless we have a major snowstorm I'll hopefully see you all on the 16th !!!

Patricia

11/16/06

306/204/175 I think

No problem Canadagirl. I so want these support meetings to succeed as they are very important. Everyone needs human contact. The e mail is great, doctor visits are great, but to actually talk to someone going thru the same experiences can't be explained. Hope everyone makes it. Doddie

Hi Everyone !! :eek:

I just wanted to bump this thread back up to the top so that it will remind people that the meeting is in a couple of days.

The weather is supposed to improve greatly (we're having rain downpours mixed with periods of major snowing today!!!) so I'll be there for sure !!! In fact I have made myself an appt in Bellingham for a fill in the afternoon so I'll be on the road early...would rather sleep in but I *know* I need a fill badly and can't put it off any longer !!!

So I will be back in Vancouver at a good time and will be looking forward to seeing you all there !!! Don't forget the place change (see Doddie's above post)....

See ya all soon !!!

Patricia

Hi Everyone !! :lol:

I just wanted to bump this thread back up to the top so that it will remind people that the meeting is in a couple of days.

The weather is supposed to improve greatly (we're having rain downpours mixed with periods of major snowing today!!!) so I'll be there for sure !!! In fact I have made myself an appt in Bellingham for a fill in the afternoon so I'll be on the road early...would rather sleep in but I *know* I need a fill badly and can't put it off any longer !!!

So I will be back in Vancouver at a good time and will be looking forward to seeing you all there !!! Don't forget the place change (see Doddie's above post)....

See ya all soon !!!

Patricia

Hi Patricia,

hey, are you going to the NW fill center for your fill? I'm just curious how they operate -- do you have to get a referral from your surgeon, or can you just there on your own? How do they keep track of your fill level? Do they empty you then start fresh in the beginning? Just trying to find out more information on that clinic in case I am in a position later on where I need a fill and one isn't available here, or if I know I need a fill but the surgeon won't do it.

Thxs!!!

Morning Bert :)

I had my surgery done at NWWLS in Everett and they have a fill nurses that travel to Bellingham twice a month to do fills for patients. As a general rule they only do fills for people banded at NWWLS and don't take on new clients, altho I do know of a couple that were banded in Toronto that have arranged thru their Ont surgeon and NWWLS to have fills done in WA state.

When I go for a fill they are very accomodating....if I feel that my restriction has loosened off more than I think it should, or faster and I'm worried about a leak, they will happily pull all the Fluid out to check the fill level. However a person should be cautious about doing this because it can really irritate the stomach and cause swelling (especially if you are at a tight fill level). Fills levels are all tracked in their computer system as well as the little pocket card I carry.... The girls will fill it in for me with todays weight at weigh-in, my current BMI, current fill level and todays fill.

If for any reason I needed my band checked or wanted a fill using floroscopy I would have to go to the office in Everett for that, haven't bothered with that yet because I have had no problems that have warranted it so far.

If you want to look at their web page just go to Adjustable Gastric LAP-BAND Surgery And LAP-BAND Surgeons There is an 800# there that you could call and enquire about possibly arranging fills. The girls at the desk are all super nice and will be happy to talk to you and answer questions.

Patricia

11/16/06

306/204/175 I think !!!

hi, I'm wondering if BC medical pays for the lap band procedure? and also if anyone has Dr. Leung's(in Surrey) phone number, so I can have more of my questions answered.

thanks!

No B.C medical does not cover it, didn't for me, all on my own.

Dr Leung #604-581-2515 Fax 604-583-6505

Suite 200-13798 94A Avenue Surrey B.C V3V 1N1

Hi All,

Looking into all of this right now and have a consultation appointment set this month with Dr. Woodhead.

a/ Any feedback from those who have seen him? :girl_hug:

b/ Is there a way insurance covers any of this? :girl_hug:

c/ Any advice about qualifying or piufalls? :rolleyes2:

Thanks!

Hi All,

Looking into all of this right now and have a consultation appointment set this month with Dr. Woodhead.

a/ Any feedback from those who have seen him? :cool2:

b/ Is there a way insurance covers any of this? :mellow:

c/ Any advice about qualifying or piufalls? :cry_smile:

Thanks!

Hi: I go to Dr. W.for fills but had my band in Toronto. However, I like Dr. W very much. I also know a few of his patients that come to our support group and they say nice things about him. Once you have the surgery, you become his patient in the normal scheme of things. He doesn't have a clinic per sa. Most bandster have a lot of questions in the first year so attendance at our support group would be of great help or you could start your own. Just having someone in the same situation is a great help.

You can claim your surgery on your Income Tax but BC Gov't doesn't give medical coverage on obesity surgery such as the band.

Qualifying usually means you must have a BMI of 30 or over. Some doctors still insist 40 BMI is their benchmark. Other than that it is between you and your doctor.

Pitfalls are not following the rules of eating and the severe consequences that can occur. Like any major proceedures there are pitfalls and the one most seem to have is vomiting because of not chewing the food or having too much fill. Vomiting occasionally is not considered very serious but on a daily basis you can get stomach erosion, band slippage.

I have a great deal of difficulty remembering to chew my food and at the moment have been going thru a bad patch of vomiting. When this happens, I take a Protein drink for a few days to let the stomach settle down then go back on solids very slowly and in small amounts.

Any material you wish me to send to you, just e mail me and I will send what I have.

Good luck

Thanks so much Doddie. I would welcome more information. Where can I email you at?

Some of the things that I want to know is:

1. Preperation - Some of you talk about preparing... what does this look like?

2. Protien shakes are spoken of alot, are these generic?

3. Fills - Expected costs associated, how often, for how long?

4. Does expented medical cover any of this?

5. What to expect afterwards? Weight loss, how much?

6. Eating habits afterwards?

7. Can you see/feel the fill sack?

8. Excess skin? Options?.... Anyone dealing with this?

I can think of a million more, however....

:cry_smile:

Thanks so much Doddie. I would welcome more information. Where can I email you at?

Some of the things that I want to know is:

1. Preperation - Some of you talk about preparing... what does this look like?

2. Protien shakes are spoken of alot, are these generic?

3. Fills - Expected costs associated, how often, for how long?

4. Does expented medical cover any of this?

5. What to expect afterwards? Weight loss, how much?

6. Eating habits afterwards?

7. Can you see/feel the fill sack?

8. Excess skin? Options?.... Anyone dealing with this?

I think everyone is different. My preparation time was to have a will, power of attorney and power of representation made prior to my surgery. Depending on your surgeon, you will be put on a pre op diet to shrink the liver then after surgery, you will be on a post op diet usually consisting of liquids or mushies. I was on this diet for 30 days so I bought in some Protein drink, a blender, and had a number of recipes available to me so I wouldn't get bored or disillusioned with the diet. I also purchased a treadmill and joined a community centre aqua fit class. I went to my family GP and advised him of my plans and he offered support. Some GPs will even do your fills for you.

Protein drinks are the basic food staple when you are newly banded and continued to be used throughout if you should have a vomiting problem. Different Protein Drinks taste differently. I could not stand the bitter Protein Drink I purchased at London Drugs nor Superstore so I ordered a Protein Drink called Bariatric Meal from my clinic which I enjoy very much. I use the blender to blend in fresh fruit such as a banana, blueberries, etc. Trial and error is probably what you would do in "preparation" Find one you like.

Dr. W. provides fills free but I am not sure how many. He charges me $80.00 a fill or office visit (I like to keep in touch with him because the band is fairly new in the medical profession in N. America). Some doctors charge $150 dollars a fill. I have 5.75 ccs in a 10 cc band and can't accept any more fill as I would be too restricted. Things may change, but until I get control of my chewing habits, I must keep a loose fill.

Weight loss is up to you. The band is ONLY a tool not a magic wand. What it does is curb your appetite but you still have to work at loosing weight. You can "pack" the pouch and stretch it all out of wack thus allowing you to eat more than you should. If (like me) you have trouble eyeballing what a cup of food is or 3 oz of Protein, then you will have to weigh your food until you can tell the difference. If you are loosing more than 1-2 lbs per week you are not loosing in a healthy way. If you follow the guidelines of 3 oz protein every waking 3 hours and 3-4 oz veggies, exercise regularly you should loose steadily.

I am a "turtle" and loose 2 lbs per month steadily. This is mainly because I am not consistant in exercise. But I track and weigh my food so I am not overeating.

As for the port, you can feel the port but not the band unless you forget to chew and some foods get stuck then you get severe pain and may vomit.

As for excess skin, if you are young, most will go back but there is PS. I am told you must be with 10% of your goal weight before a reputable PS will operate.

I hope other chime in to help and give you other ideas and suggestions. What works for me may not work for you but I will do anything I can to help out. Take care

Does anyone know where to get an adjustmnet in or around Surrey. I am willing to drive!!! I had my procedure done in Mexico and have no where to go (???)

Does anyone know where to get an adjustmnet in or around Surrey. I am willing to drive!!! I had my procedure done in Mexico and have no where to go (???)

Hi check out the Vancouver group. there are postings where you can get fills in and around vancouver.

There is a Dr. at St. Pauls hospital and another in North Vancouver. If you contact canadagirl33@hotmail.com you can be put on our meeting reminders for the Lions Gate Hospital or there is Timmers who is starting up a meeting at Richmond. Any or all should be able to tell you if there are fill doctors closer to you. Lions Gate Hospital Meeting welcomes all - so please join us or Timmers