Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are Protein Drinks Legitimate?

As I prepare for the sleeve surgery, I have a couple quick questions. Can the high Protein powdered mixes serve as real sources of nutrition during this phase? It is easier for me to have 5 to 7 of them with 8oz of skim milk plus 2 meals of lean protein meat and mozzarella part skim cheese and green Beans, than a third meal with fewer drinks.

How important is it to stop drinking Diet Mtn. Dew?

I wouldn't drink 5-7 of them. That would be a lot of calories! Each low-sugar or sugar free Protein Drink has between 100-160 calories about, so there is no reason to drink 5-7 of them AND have 2 additional meals. And while some are good with Vitamins and minerals, while you can, try to get them from real food. Plus, you'll get sick of them, and for a while after surgery, you won't be able to eat solids, so you'll be living on them.

I drink one a day (160 calories) that is premixed as a part of a meal when the meal is too small or for Breakfast with fruit. I'm aiming for 1200-1400 calories; this was recommended by the bariatric nutritionist (i'm also pre-op).

I used to drink about 5-6 diet sodas a day. I knew I wouldn't be able to drink soda after surgery, so I quit cold turkey. I thought that was going to be impossible, but I tried a soda after a few weeks, and I had actually lost my taste for it. Now I drink plain Water and iced coffee (for two months I didn't even drink iced coffee!). I don't miss it. The harder part is not drinking with my meals and eating slowly.

Thanks. YOU ARE KILLING ME! Just kidding. This thing is too hard for me. Even if I can do it for a while, I can't sustain it. I need more than 1,500 calories a day.

It is very important to stop drinking diet soda. Your new nutrition plan should be centered around real food and a commitment to restructure the foods and beverages you take in. Avoid highly processed foods. Carbonated beverages are bad for sleevers. Artificially sweetened drinks are bad too. Your going to go without solid food along with all the beverages you are used to for 4 to 6 weeks (before and after surgery). Your body can take this opportunity to reestablish foods you like and crave. It is a big physical and phycological reset. Replace those old favorites with better new ones. I've learned cravings have short term memory and are relative. If you introduce a variety of healthy foods after your surgery, you'll settle on favorite foods amongst those foods you started eating after the big change.

I agree you have to go cold turkey now on sodas so the liquid diet is manageable. I quit sodas and fried foods 5 months before my revision surgery. I practiced the post-op diet over 3 months pre-op.

I suggest only having Protein Shakes during the liquid diet phase. Get your Protein from natural sources before and after.

I can't do it. I want to, but not enough. Whatever it takes to do this, is missing. I can do some things, but I can't do it all. I simply can't find the willpower to undertake this thing. It is too much. I thought the surgery itself would reduce my weight and my appetite so that I could get my weight down, keep it down, and rebuild my body. Now, I realize I can't even diet to qualify for the weight loss surgery.

No judgement here at all. You have to really want to do this. You’ve probably read & heard it said the surgery is only a tool. It is. It’s like buying a treadmill or a gym membership. If you don’t use it, make the changes & take advantages of the benefits it affords, nothing will change & you won’t be as successful with your weight loss.

It’s hard work. A lot of reflection on what you eat, why you eat & how you eat. There are permanent changes you will have to make. Some people make a lot of changes some only a few to reach a point where they are happy & the changes are sustainable in their lives. But changes have to be made.

If you’re not ready yet, hold off having the surgery. If you’re not in a place to make the changes & reflect on your eating habits, surgery is not the right option for you at the moment. One day you may decide this is what you really want to do then you can grab all the opportunities the surgery gives you.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Thanks. I agree. I hoped coming here I might find a spark, you know? Something to inspire me to a greater commitment. MY "want to" and my willpower are weak. In my past I have made up my mind to do some difficult things and achieved them. My want to is just not strong enough. Like you say, I can do some things and I'm working on those. No bread for a few days. Lean Protein from drinks and turkey bologna and low fat cheese. Salads. More Water consumption. I want to turn the corner and go all out, but I am unable to. Part of it I suppose is my love for diet Mt. Dew.

On 4/3/2021 at 9:31 PM, meathead said:

I can't do it. I want to, but not enough. Whatever it takes to do this, is missing. I can do some things, but I can't do it all. I simply can't find the willpower to undertake this thing. It is too much. I thought the surgery itself would reduce my weight and my appetite so that I could get my weight down, keep it down, and rebuild my body. Now, I realize I can't even diet to qualify for the weight loss surgery.

You can do it; but you can't do all of it all the time every day 100% perfect and certainly not starting from day 1. This is the lesson I've been struggling to learn. Yes, you can give up soda. No you don't have to give up artificial sweeteners. There are still many WLS patients who use artificial sweeteners and maintain a healthy weight and didn't grow horns and didn't develop cancer, whatever. There is a TON of junk science around artificial sweeteners. Like, they say that they cause weight gain. That is not true. The few controlled scientific studies there have been show that when people eat the same number of calories, artificial sweeteners do not cause weight gain.

Also, I found that changing my pre-surgery diet to increase Protein and decrease sugar made me feel less hungry and crave sweets LESS. SHOCKING!!! I couldn't believe it. But I'm not perfect. I still eat a little ice cream sometimes and I still eat fruit every day. I'm still months away from surgery and I'm struggling this week. I had to increase my medication that causes hunger/weight gain because I'm having bipolar symptoms, so I'm eating more, but still trying to focus on protein first, and I can't believe that between that and traveling to Miami last week for work, I am still losing weight. (But yesterday afternoon I was so hungry I cried... so yeah, I'm not going to lie it's really hard.)

Try not to expect perfection. It is SOOO much. You have to do the work, but you can take it at your own pace and on your own terms. And take everyone's advice/rules with a grain of salt - I know at least one successful maintainer on here who drinks diet coke regularly. Nothing is forever, failure is not final.

On 4/3/2021 at 4:50 PM, meathead said:

Thanks. YOU ARE KILLING ME! Just kidding. This thing is too hard for me. Even if I can do it for a while, I can't sustain it. I need more than 1,500 calories a day.

Also, you can't sustain 1500 calories long term unless you have the surgery. That's completely true. Once you have a smaller stomach and less hunger hormone, it will be easier. Also, once you lose weight, you will need fewer calories. And if you eat food that is higher in Protein and lower in sugar, it is highly likely that you will feel more full on fewer calories.

Take a breath. It's okay; take it one day at a time and Celebrate small successes, don't beat yourself up for slip ups.

You are a slice of heaven and a burst of sunshine. I thank you. What you shared with me was very kind and helpful and I appreciate it. I received it at an opportune time.