Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only down 16 pounds since 1/5

I'm just needing some advice because I know there is vast experience in this group. I had VSG on 1/5/21. The morning of surgery, I was 214 lbs. Post-surgery, I was up a few days due to fluids. My recovery was amazing! No issues or pain at all. I have followed my doctor's protocol to a T but my loss seems so slow. My current weight is 198, so a 16-pound loss in two months and 10 days. The doctor's expectation is for me to be 193 by my visit on 3/26/21. I was given clearance to work out, so I have been slowly getting back to strength training; but even before that, the loss has been a slow, sometimes up a little, then down.

Any and all suggestions/comments would be very-much appreciated.

I just updated it. I thought that may help. Thank you for responding!

This is a very common question, but it's weird how many posts there have been this weekend alone from people concerned about their rate of weight loss...

Everybody loses at a different rate. It annoys me when surgeons tell people how quickly they "should" be losing weight, when they should know full well that there are many factors -- many of which are outside of the patient's control -- that can affect the rate of weight loss after surgery. The bottom line is that if you're following the program and your weight is decreasing (even if it's slow), you're fine.

For your specific case, you had a low starting weight. The less you have to lose, and the closer you get to your goal, the more slowly it will go. I started at 341 pounds (down to 270 on surgery day), so I had WAY more to lose than you. You can't expect to lose as quickly as someone who started 100+ pounds higher, so don't compare your weight loss to someone else's. Just be patient and stick with your program, and the weight will come off.

2 hours ago, OAGBPal said:

Awesome, thank you so much. I hope you know it wasn't to be annoying, I was just kinda wondering if you were, say, 5'10 the slower loss would be pretty understandable - and that others might be wondering the same thing.

No worries! I was searching before I posted and I noticed in some other responses that updating stats was helpful. In case it's a factor, I'm 59 years *young*!

OAGBPal, as for what I do daily, Breakfast is pretty consistent with one egg, one ounce of berries, and then a scoop of collagen when I have my hot tea. lunch and dinner are two ounces of Protein, one ounce of starch and one ounce of vegetables, or a little more veg to satiety. I usually wind up with between 600 and 700 calories, and around 70 grams of protein.

My sleep is great (since giving up my two cups of coffee pre-surgery), averaging a solid 7 and a half to 8 hours. Water/herbal tea, average 64 to 72 ounces per day, but always a minimum of 64.

I do the Beachbody program LIIFT4 and walking for enjoyment and being in nature.

I appreciate everyone's input. It all helps!

OAGBPal, you are so very kind. I have to say I'm just very pre-occupied by my upcoming visit. I had a very short pre-op window....my first appointment with the surgeon was October 28th and was given my January 5th surgery date when I left the appointment. I had one appointment with the dietician, then a virtual psych session. On my next surgeon appointment on Dec. 31, I literally left in tears because I didn't lose what he thought I should have, although he never gave me an amount to lose, just "three frozen meals a day and nothing else". Admittedly, I had a few slips over the holidays, but I was so shocked and then angry after that visit, that I really think I was traumatized. I'm not looking forward to my visit. Everything I eat and all my workouts are documented so I'm going loaded with my "evidence".

I've been amazed at the lifestyle changes I've made and I'm proud of myself for that because that's what will bring me success in the long run, but I'm just preoccupied with that upcoming visit.

Edited by Whitetank&denim

with your age (and I'm older than you, so I'm not picking on you!) and your low starting weight, I would totally expect you'd be a "slow loser". It'd surprise me if you weren't. Just stick to your plan. You ARE losing, and that's what's important. And I agree it's not helpful when doctors tell you how much you "should" lose - I was reminded several times along my journey that I was a "slow" loser (like I needed reminding...), but I ended up losing all of my excess weight. It's your level of commitment that makes the most difference, not your rate of weight loss. There are too many factors that contribute to your rate of weight loss that you don't have much (or any) control over, like your age, gender, and genetics. So focus on those factors you DO you have control over - how closely you follow your plan, and your activity level. If you're committed and follow your plan, and your weight is on a downward trend, you're fine.

also, 193 is only five lbs from where you are now, and you'll likely lose another couple of pounds before then. I don't think your surgeon is going to care. You'll be close enough.

When I got under 200 pounds, I could eat 1200 calories a day...absolutely measuring every single thing that went into my mouth...every grape, every squirt of mustard...and I would lose exactly one pound a week. (and this was averaging it over a month, cause you know it's gonna get stuck and drop here and there)

It is so easy to eat more than what we're documenting....because documenting what you eat has to be the most tedious thing in the known universe. It's annoying and boring and I hate it. But it's a necessary evil.

It is so easy to have a couple of weeks with the illusion of no weight loss due to hormones or salt intake or whatever weird glitch your body decides to throw at you.

Just keep at it.

Keep hitting your goals. Keep following your plan. Keep the faith.

The number on the scale will eventually catch up to your effort.

We didn't gain all of this weight in a few weeks....it's gonna take time to lose it.

And one perk to slow weight loss...your skin has optimal chance of recovery.

Hang in there and be patient.

19 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

There are too many factors that contribute to your rate of weight loss that you don't have much (or any) control over, like your age, gender, and genetics. So focus on those factors you DO you have control over - how closely you follow your plan, and your activity level. If you're committed and follow your plan, and your weight is on a downward trend, you're fine.

This is so true, Catwoman. My body is going to respond how it wants to, but I have to continue to focus on my commitment and consistency.