Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Dolan and positives of weight loss surgery

Hello, It's already 2021 end of February. How are you?

At the beginning of last November, in 2020: I had seen Dr. Kevin Dolan twice and he was insistent I needed my lap band removed. I had had it for 10;5 years, no problems, and lost 30 kilos.

He had gotten on the telephone to my wonderful Gp several times and had discussed with her the difficulties I was having which were:

vomiting,

pain

wasn't able to eat sometimes for about two weeks.

BUT my private insurance had lapsed. I immediately rang and had it put back on.

Dr. Dolan said that my lap band had slipped but boy, I didn't realize how ill I actually was. I went to the hospital emergency twice, the first time with my Mum and emergency Doctors told me to go home and the second time, they admitted me........after my boyfriend was screaming that no one seemed to be hearing my problems,

All of a sudden, everything changed and a wonderful surgeon came to see me that I was to be operated on within 2 hours. My Mum and son went to get something to eat and came back to an empty bed. The surgeon was WONDERFUL: Dr. Foo was his name. He said that I was that far away from developing a huge hole in my tummy from an eroding lap band.

Fortunately, he had removed all erosion from my tummy.

PROBLEMS: from 2 November to 20th Feb 2021

Gained 10 kilos !!!! How has this happened ???

My Psychotherapist and I are positively discussing me getting a sleeve.

Dr. Dolan offered to give me a gastric sleeve. He first suggested another lap band but I had heard that they are not that good to get anymore. I have scars all through my Tummy, I can see Dr. Foo or Dr. Dolan, does anyone have any comments ??

Thanks for reading: Annie

Edited just now by Annie2021
hadnt written the whole of my story

not many surgeons will place lapbands anymore - too many people have had complications with them years after surgery and had to revise to sleeve or bypass. So I agree revising to something else is a better option for you.

omg, you have lost heaps of weight.... you are 69 kilos from.........169 kilos. You are a new person. Congratulations for working so hard. A gastric bypass is a sleeve, isn't it?

I'm getting very plump atm.

Do you know if my metabolism change when the lap band is taken out?

How long did it take for you to decide to get a gastric bypass? Have you had any problems? Ill be doing mine in September to get my tummy to heal for a good amount of time.....

25 minutes ago, Annie2021 said:

omg, you have lost heaps of weight.... you are 69 kilos from.........169 kilos. You are a new person. Congratulations for working so hard. A gastric bypass is a sleeve, isn't it?

I'm getting very plump atm.

Do you know if my metabolism change when the lap band is taken out?

How long did it take for you to decide to get a gastric bypass? Have you had any problems? Ill be doing mine in September to get my tummy to heal for a good amount of time.....

sleeve and bypass are different. With sleeve, they remove about 80% of your stomach. With bypass, they put a line of staples across your stomach (but don't remove it), which separates it so food only goes into the top part, meaning you can't eat as much. Then they move your small intestine up to the top part of your stomach (where the food is). The bottom part of your stomach just sits in there, unused (well, it technically makes some hormones which drain into your small intestine further down the route that help with digestion, I believe - but for lay person purposes, the lower part of the stomach just sits there dormant).

supposedly weight loss surgeries do reset metabolism. The US society that many bariatric surgeons belong to is called the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Plus people with diabetes who get weight loss surgery often have their diabetes go into remission pretty quickly after surgery (especially with bypass - although this happens to a lot of sleevers, too), so that tells me that there's something other than weight loss that's going on to get it into remission so quickly. So yes - I think it does affect your metabolism as well (although admittedly, I'm not a doctor...) (however, you asked about metabolism changing after your lapband is removed - that I don't know)

it took me 10 years to decide to have surgery, and in retrospect I should have done it years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made! And no - no problems. It's been great!