Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loosing too much weight?

I’m 6 months post op and I’m afraid I’m loosing too much weight and I sometimes feel like I’m either eating too much or not enough. How do I slow down the weight loss??

Start adding whole grain carbohydrates (oats, quinoa, brown rice, and lovely grains like buckwheat, millet, teff, and amaranth.) Mixed together, these make a really nice cooked Cereal, Raisins, banana and cinnamon add sweetness without sugar. You can also add more starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, butternut squash, pumpkin.) You can also start adding some small amounts of nuts and seeds. Doing these two things (complex carbs in the form of whole grains and starchy vegetables) and a small amount of nuts (raw nuts or nut butters) and seeds (raw sunflower, sesame, pumpkin, chia) will add calories to help slow the weight loss, but with a lot of nutritional bang.

When I need to lose a little, I just back off the grains and nuts/seeds. It's an easy way to regulate weight without compromising nutrition. If you need to slow weight loss, just start adding them in,

Edited by AZhiker

If you want to stop or slow down weight loss you need to eat more. Determine your current calorie intake (track for a week or two), steadily increase your calorie intake by say an extra 100 to 150 calories per day for a week or two, if that doesn't slow it down, add more calories steadily until you reach a level that slows down the weight loss.

Things that easily add calories without adding too much volume (though this would depend on your stomach's tolerance levels)...no diet products so no low fat or no fat foods, small handful of nuts a couple of times a day, adding an oil based dressing to salads, nut butters, an extra snack or two.

Thing to bear in mind, is typically people do put on a few pounds over a period of time once they reach their lowest weight, you may want to allow yourself a buffer. So doubt be too concerned if your weight goes a little lower.

1 hour ago, km13118 said:

You can add a spoonful or two of Peanut Butter as a snack as a easy way to add calories.

I agree that adding nut butters can easily add calories, but I think adding complex carbs in the form of whole grains and starchy vegetables gives more nutritional value, They are also filling and satisfying. Small amounts of nuts, nut butters and seeds also add healthy calories, but adding more variety will add more nutrition.

I added whole & multigrain Snacks & a bit more fruit (twice a day instead of once). I also found by maintenance I was eating a little more. Still small portions & less than a ‘recommended portion size’ just a few more vegetables, a little more Protein. Hummus on multigrain crackers is a better snack that will add some calories. I use non diet dressings on my salads too like Hop_Scotch.

Have a chat with your dietician for some nutritious additions to your diet. Mine suggested enriching my milk by adding milk powder. I do this if I make chia pudding. Extra protein as well as calories.

Honestly, I’ve struggled to find the right balance so I don’t lose more or gain. It doesn’t take much for me to lose & the trend to head downwards again. So don’t be surprised if it takes a while to find the right balance for you to stabilise though it may be easy for you.

Good luck & congrats on your weight loss - whoo hoo!

The same thing was happening to me at about the six month mark, and I was afraid I was going to end up being too thin and not being able to stop the weight loss. I ended up lowering my goal weight from 150 to 140, and I still ended up at 132 at about the 9-month mark. My weight stabilized there without my changing anything about my diet, and then I gained another ten pounds before landing where I am now--and I've stayed here for about nine months now.

I'm definitely eating more than I was during weight loss. As Arabesque mentioned, it can be tricky to find the sweet spot where you are no longer losing or gaining. Once you do, maintenance is really quite rewarding.

personally, i think the body stops when it's ready. I know it did when i had the band (2009). I started at 232 and was at a happy 143 for years. Thats where my body stopped. Now with the sleeve (8/28/2019) my body stopped at 120 and I go between 120-123.

@Avb830: You are not alone in this thinking....alot of us started to get concerned about losing too much weight once we started nearing goal weight...there are hundreds, if not thousands, of posts about it! (including mine, lol).

But if you try to do a bit of digging on this forum for people who are still worried about losing too much weight, or being too thin after a few months to a year into maintenance, you will find almost none (although I have read of ONE person who was concerned...she was at a BMI of 18 after a year if I recalll...)

Are you happy at where you are now? Or are you looking to lose more weight? Is your team concerned at your rate of progress?

Either way, you will stabalize eventually....(barring medical issues, of course).

P.S. I started to "worry" when I got to a BMI of 23. I settled in at a BMI of 21 (and have been here more or less for the past 1.5 years), which is still within the "healthy" BMI range.

Edited by ms.sss

don't forget that a majority of us gain 10-20 lbs after hitting bottom, so keep that in mind as well. I also freaked out because I was getting too thin, but then I shot up 15 lbs during year 3 without much effort.