Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Stall - Anxiety

Hi all. Hope you all had a great Christmas. I'm aware that this thread might come across in the wrong way given some people's experiences/troubles. I truly don't mean it to, I suffer from anxiety bouts & think the holiday season has triggered one. I was worried initially I was 'losing too fast but this forum reassured me that all was normal & to chill. (Not much support in UK for private aka self funding patients)

I had surgery on the 19th October & have lost 0.8 lbs a day since (averaged out). I haven't had a stall like most people describe, 2-3 days max but pre menstruation. I know everyone & every body is different, my surgeon was surprised when I told him & said to expect a very very long stall, he guessed imminently. That was just over 2 weeks ago. I've been on edge waiting for it since!

Is there anything I can do to prepare. I'm expecting the worst now & the numbers going down on the scale are starting to make me anxious not happy. I had 2 days off plan for Christmas, food choices not awful, but not good! scales today show another 4 pounds off. Am I just going to stop losing 1 day soon & have to wait months for it to restart? I had 118 pounds to shift & have lost 60. Sorry for the essay!

Just try to get it together. I believe once you start stalling you'll be happy with yourself. You still have some more to lose so hang on to your brain and emotions and be ready to face the stalls. A lot of people lose fast be happy and put your mind on other things.

You have to accept that everyone is different and every WLS patient has his or her own experience. One of the worst things you can do for your own mental health is compare yourself to other people. There are so many factors that affect your weight loss after surgery, many of them beyond your control, so you just have to have faith and follow your surgeon’s directions. Don’t worry about whether you’re losing weight faster or slower than anyone else. Don’t worry about whether you have different food tolerances than anyone else. Stalls are also mostly outside of your control, so all you can do is remember if/when it happens that it’s normal and fine and it doesn’t mean your surgery didn’t work. It looks like you’re doing great so far, so count yourself lucky that you haven’t had to go through the frustration of a stall so far.

Maybe you won't have a stall. Not everyone does. I just reviewed my weight record and I only had one week where my weight stayed the same. That was at the 5 month mark. My losses weren't huge every week but were losses. I reached my original goal in 9 months and my personal goal in 11 months so not fast but I got there slow and steady! I'm actually maintaining below my goal now and I still follow the guidelines I was given as far as getting enough Protein and drinking enough Water. I still track my food to make sure I'm doing the right thing! Statistics say year 3 is the time when most people start having regain and I'm determined to not let that happen because I just paid a a pretty good price for plastic surgery and plan to have more this year! I'm a couple of months into year 3 and so far so good!

I didn't have a stall at all, and I lost 100 pounds. Everyone is different! Stick to your plan and see how you go.

Screenshot_20201227-163120.png

Thanks for all the replies. It's genuinely put my mind at rest. I try hard not to compare to others as everyone is so different but the surgeon stall talk felt almost like a threat hanging over me & I'm easily derailed!

I'll stick to my plan, keep prioritising the Protein & Water & try to enjoy the journey again.

I really rate the support & experience on this forum a lot. It's been a wild few months since I had my surgery, reading & chatting with others who are in the same boat is essential. Thanks again.

You're doing great. Quit waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. Enjoy the ride! If a stall does happen, don't worry, it's normal and you'll get through it.