Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do I feel guilty?

You are already starving your body.
Hi.
My doctor didn't recommend any particular number of calories.
I searched online to have an idea and assumed this would be enough for me.

Sent from my SM-N960F using BariatricPal mobile app

It seems unusual that your surgeon or dietician didn’t give you a plan but ... shrug. Ask for a program you can follow until you discover out what works best for you as you progress & within their recommendations & guidelines. In saying that I wasn’t given a caloric goal just portion size & food recommendations & suggestions.

Some people can consume more calories than others. I was a small calorie consumer - less than 300 for the first few weeks. I’m not a n avid calorie counter just randomly check but I did record what & how much I ate for the first couple of months.

You can only eat what you can eat with your much smaller tummy. Unless you force yourself to overeat at every meal, make poor food choices, etc. you’ll lose weight. Eating to excess will cause you lots of discomfort: pain, vomiting, etc.

But it sounds like you’re committed to the program which will lead to your success. Just take a breathe. You can do this.

There’s a lot of good information & real life experiences on this site. If you’re unsure, there’s always people here to share what they found worked for them.

Good luck.

10 hours ago, Arabesque said:

It seems unusual that your surgeon or dietician didn’t give you a plan but ... shrug.

It's really crazy how different surgeons take completely different approaches to this. My surgeon's office gave me a plan that included Protein and hydration goals, plus a carb limit. Other than that, it only said to eat protein first and avoid sugar and sweets. I didn't get a calorie target either. My surgeon said if I followed the guidelines, calories would take care of themselves. Fortunately, it did work out that way, but I can imagine that some people might feel lost without a clear target number of calories.

21 hours ago, GradyCat said:

You probably should cut out the Snacks. Most WLS programs call for 3 meals a day and no Snacks or at most 1 snack. We have to get used to eating correctly and not grazing.

"Most WLS programs"? No offense is intended, but as others have pointed out, it's frequently the opposite of what you state. Both my surgeon and nutritionist said they want me to be eating at least 4 times per day if not 5-6, but small amounts spaced evenly throughout the day rather than dedicated "meals". Snacking is important IMO.

On 12/08/2020 at 08:45, sach1 said:

Hi.

I'm 19 days post WLS today and on my pureed diet period.

I feel hungry and eat 3 meals and 2-3 Snacks a day, in small portions of course.

Count the calories of every meal and snack.< /p>

Between 700-900 kcal a day.

I feel guilty after eating. Think I must starve to loose more weight. Have constant feeling that I'm not going to loose anymore weight. Putting on instead.

I'm 176cm tall and current weight is 280lbs.

Anyone else going through same situation and how do you deal with it?

How much weight have you lost?

How much weight have you lost?
From my highest weight prior surgery I have lost 22 lbs.
16 lbs in three weeks after surgery.
Having a stall now a days.
Which frustrates me and gives ne the feeling I'm not going to loose anymore.

2 minutes ago, sach1 said:

it's the infamous three-week stall - right on schedule!

it's the infamous three-week stall - right on schedule!
Yes I think so.
How long does it take to go away?

1 minute ago, sach1 said:

You're doing fine. I lost 15 pounds my first MONTH after surgery. Then 10 the next month and 10 per month for the next year. Stalling early on is very common, just stick with the program and the weight will start coming off again.

5 minutes ago, sach1 said:

Yes I think so.
How long does it take to go away?

it usually lasts 1-3 weeks. Mine lasted two.

I’m six weeks post-op and had the three week stall as well. Mine lasted for about a week. Also, I wasn’t given any specific goals by my surgeon and dietician except for liquids and Protein. But, they did specify to eat 5-6 small meals per day.

Give yourself some credit and pat yourself on the back for making the decision to get healthier.

I think that it would be good to give your self grace. Be kind. Your body is not just going through a shock it's an entire way of life that you are changing. So make an effort to stay positive and optimism is key. food intake should follow the dieticians recommended foods.

You will loose weight. And to keep it off follow the plan like your life depends on it.

Hang in there. And perhaps Journal your feelings and track your food.

All the best,

Give yourself some credit and pat yourself on the back for making the decision to get healthier.
I think that it would be good to give your self grace. Be kind. Your body is not just going through a shock it's an entire way of life that you are changing. So make an effort to stay positive and optimism is key. food intake should follow the dieticians recommended foods.
You will loose weight. And to keep it off follow the plan like your life depends on it.
Hang in there. And perhaps Journal your feelings and track your food.
All the best,

Thank you for your motivations.
I will try to stay positive and keep focused.
My doc did not give me any particular plan.
So don't really know what to eat.
Maybe you people can share uour programs so I can get some ideas.
I think my main problem us the Water intake.
I'm supposed to have 1.5 liters a day and it just isn't working out for me due to the small sips.
I can't manage it.
Before surgery o drank almost 3 liters a day.
I'm trying to make a routine.
Let's see how it works.

1 minute ago, sach1 said:

Thank you for your motivations.
I will try to stay positive and keep focused.
My doc did not give me any particular plan.
So don't really know what to eat.
Maybe you people can share uour programs so I can get some ideas.
I think my main problem us the Water intake.
I'm supposed to have 1.5 liters a day and it just isn't working out for me due to the small sips.
I can't manage it.
Before surgery o drank almost 3 liters a day.
I'm trying to make a routine.
Let's see how it works.

Water intake can come from a lot of different areas;

1. water

2. broth

3. sugar free Jello

4. tea

you can get kind of creative with jello- when you first mix it up and its dissolved in the hot water you can add the cold water and put a little in a cup and sip on the warm jello like a sweet tea treat. It is actually pretty soothing to the system

there are all kinds of caffeine free teas hot and cold, I personally found the first week or so after surgery that warm drinks were calming when ever I was gassy or had an upset system. It is also helpful with Constipation to drink a warm drink to help get the bowels rolling.

I got the Cirkul water bottle with a bunch of different flavors and find myself having to cut myself off from drinking water in the evening or else I am up all night using the biffy!!!

I highly recommend looking into the Cirkul water bottle. They have a promotional deal going where you can get the set up for $5

https://drinkcirkul.com/pages/trial

At first I thought it was super expensive until I started to figure out what I used to spend on soda and now what I was spending on different drops and teas and other things. It really isn't bad priced when you really look at it and the actual product is AMAZING!!!