Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those with Medicare as primary and state ins as secondary

Hi please bare with me I’ll try to explain my best! so I have Medicare as my primary insurance and state medicaid as my secondary insurance. Typically I don’t get a bill bc the state insurance picks up what Medicare doesn’t pay.

Well my surgery is approved by Medicare but the Medicaid is saying they won’t approve it bc they require 1 year free from alcohol/ drugs as I use marijuana for pain management that violates there rules.

Typically I follow Medicares rules as they are the primary n the medicaid They would cover the part A Deductible and the leftover copayment 20% etc. I feel like the medicaid denial is based on if they were they primary which they are not. So I basically have no idea of I’ll have a huge bill or not. has anyone been through something similar?

The Medicaid denial is based on your state Medicaid guidelines, not whether Medicare is primary. Since it is a Medicare covered service, you will be liable for the 20% Medicare coinsurance, and it can be pursued all the way to collections even though you are a Medicaid patient, specifically because it is considered non-covered by your Medicaid plan.

I mean obviously I'm a stranger on the Internet so take this info with a grain of salt. But my career is in Medical Billing, specifically Medicare and Medicaid.

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Because it's government money being used, they can dictate the rules, so you would be responsible for the 20% if you didn't wait the year without drugs.

Unfortunately I don’t think it matters whether you classify them as “drugs” or not. Only matters what your insurance classifies them. :(

Would it help if you submitted a prescription issued for the medical marijuana by your PCP? I would assume that the rules would only apply to recreational use...which yours is not.

But as the other poster said above, I’m just a stranger in the internet...

Good Luck!

Edited by ms.sss