Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, Is it true banders can NEVER drink alcohol? I asked the nutritionist in my medical group, she said at least 2 years. I don't drink much to begin with, but on specail occasions I can do some damage to a good bottle of wine. Is 2 years realistic? Has anyone had alcohol while banded? If so, did you feel okay?

I've never heard 2 years. In fact my doc didn't tell me I couldn't drink it, he said I "shouldn't" drink it. Mostly because of a lot of empty calories. He told me to wait at least 3-6 months after surgery before I did have any. Your surgeon may have been refering to beer because of the carbination. I'll be honest I barely waited 3 months and I've had a glass of wine and I'm ok.

Yeah, I'm really interested in this topic too. Again, I'm not a big drinker but I'd have a beer or a glas of wine every week or so. I know I can't do beer because of the calories and the carbonation. I heard that wine, especially red was ok. Just not sure how much or how often.

All doctors are a little different, like some Bandsters are told it's ok to drink coffee and tea, but mine said I can't even if it's Decaf because of the acid may cause ulcers.

I hope some seasoned bandsters can help shed some light on the subject.

Thanks

Like said earlier its not that you can't drink, you shouldn't..empty calories and also because of the band slowing down digestion and eating way less food..well it makes you feel the effects alot sooner...:bounce:

I had a margarita about a month after banded for my birthday, was fine. I can drink beer, I let it go flat, wine, shots :) no problems..Im just a realllly cheap date now, I can't have more than 1 beer before I cant drive home..course my friends love it, because Ill be tipsy and they'll be sober, and I love it cause I have fun with a $5 beer. ..I guess this makes it sound like I drink alot, I don't but I am in school, so it happens!:eyebrows:

Hi Peaches,

I would try to avoid it as much as possible. I am not perfect, that is for sure. I have had my share of wine and the effects hit you really, really fast.

If I do have a little wine, I add diet gingerale and mix it 4 parts gingerale 1 part wine and enjoy a nice glass, but I stir off the bubbles because of the carbination and this is only on occasion and much less frequently.

Honestly, alcohol does not fit into the healthy lifestyle we all need to adhere to with the band.

Caffeine and alcohol....BAD for us! I worry about the future of my band down the line years from now and am trying harder to really, really eat healthy.

I don't want future erosions and other complications that can happen with not following the band rules.

thanks!!

Yeah I do 2 hrs of areobics a week and 2 hrs of Karate a week.. I have to take classes bc I dont have the motivation to walk everyday..bored easily..my classes are over now, so Im looking for a kickboxing class..I also do crunchs on my stability ball...way easier than on the floor, I recommend them for ab work..plus its been shown that just sitting on them while watching tv loses weight

thanks again:wacko:

Studies show the rate of alcoholism is 10% and growing for people after WLS. Why risk another addiction/problem? Struggling with weight is hard enough why add another thing?

I drink wine. Not a lot or often, but it's part of the universe. Kind of like chocolate. I eat a little of that too here and there as well.

The idea is to be able to function healthily around food and drink for a lifetime. If there are times you want to have a glass of wine, have it and enjoy it. Binge drinking much like binge eating doesn't have a place in a healthy person's life.

I will likley continue to drink socially now that I see it is not banned! After I am healed, of course. My goal is to be healthy, and a little red wine is good for the heart. Thank you for the responses, this forum is a true life saver!

I have a drink or two about once a month when a group of my friends and I have our get together. I don't drink beer because I don't like it, but I do drink wine and mixed drinks. Sometimes I don't drink at all and other times I'll have a maximum of two drinks and then switch to Water for the rest of the evening. Of course this kind of indulgence slows my weight loss, but I'm in this for the long haul and what to have as normal (for me) life as possible while I navigate the band waters.