Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days, 80-90 ounces

I came out of surgery able to take in an ounce of Protein Drink and an ounce of Water (at the same time) every 15 minutes. I did need to mix up my Protein intake from room temp clear protein, to cold shakes, to warmed Tomato Soup with added Protein Powder per my nausea tolerance the first 5 days due to nausea with the pain meds but once off those I'm good with any. I drink 50-70 ounces of water a day, (preop I was 80 to 120 minimum) with electrolyte drop ins. That puts me at 80 to 90 ounces "intake" a day. I meet and exceed the Fluid and protein goals.

My 2nd week post-surgery I began to get a painful empty feeling several times a day. Its pissing me off. Its not acid, I'm on omeprazole and do 2 antacid meltaway chewable a day. I can eat an entire Greek yogurt serving tub in 30 minutes, with small bites and putting down my appetizer spoon between them. I don't like it, though, lactose pisses off my digestive system, but I was desperate for a "solid" and popsicles don't cut it either. I can easily get in 500-600 calories with the meal Protein Drinks and 2 Snacks to stop my stomach hurting because of its "empty" feeling. I'm 12 days out. This is ridiculous!

Anyone else come out of surgery this way and struggle with liquids? Please tell me moving to food is going to curb this, lower my overall calories when I can focus on solid Proteins, and let me feel full.

I’m about 3 months out and rather agree with you and get that feeling, too. You’ve described it perfectly. It’s a challenge and not sure ‘what’ we can do except try to determine foods and liquids that agree with and sustain us, then “budget” them out through the day in order to keep us satisfied. Popsicles no longer do it for me, either.

I’m eating scrambled eggs (almost every night for dinner) 1/2 cup watermelon, or 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, or 2-3oz Kirkland sliced turkey breast, 2-3oz tofu, 1/2 cup home made 3 bean salad, microwave frozen vegetables, once in awhile tsp. of Peanut Butter, V-8, a Premier Protein Cafe Latte shake each morning as Breakfast, grilled fish, tuna salad, ...pretty much these are the foods I can tolerate. 🤷‍♀️

I plan my Protein and fluids, then fill in my hunger with the lower calorie things I can have. We chew and chew and chew, and then the food passes through rather quickly. It’s WORK some days, especially if I’m not busy—coming out the other side will be worth it, but IT IS WORK.

I’m sorry I can’t tell you the coming weeks will be a breeze, but this has been my experience. Maybe others can share a few of their strategies?💝

Edited by Lily66

On 6/9/2020 at 9:59 PM, Cia2020 said:

I came out of surgery able to take in an ounce of Protein Drink and an ounce of Water (at the same time) every 15 minutes. I did need to mix up my Protein intake from room temp clear Protein, to cold shakes, to warmed Tomato Soup with added Protein Powder per my nausea tolerance the first 5 days due to nausea with the pain meds but once off those I'm good with any. I drink 50-70 ounces of Water a day, (preop I was 80 to 120 minimum) with electrolyte drop ins. That puts me at 80 to 90 ounces "intake" a day. I meet and exceed the Fluid and protein goals.

My 2nd week post-surgery I began to get a painful empty feeling several times a day. Its pissing me off. Its not acid, I'm on omeprazole and do 2 antacid meltaway chewable a day. I can eat an entire Greek yogurt serving tub in 30 minutes, with small bites and putting down my appetizer spoon between them. I don't like it, though, lactose pisses off my digestive system, but I was desperate for a "solid" and popsicles don't cut it either. I can easily get in 500-600 calories with the meal Protein Drinks and 2 Snacks to stop my stomach hurting because of its "empty" feeling. I'm 12 days out. This is ridiculous!

Anyone else come out of surgery this way and struggle with liquids? Please tell me moving to food is going to curb this, lower my overall calories when I can focus on solid Proteins, and let me feel full.

I'm 11 days post op today so we are very close in dates. The liquid stopped working for me after week one but then I could bring in Protein Shakes and cream Soups. For the past 2 days a ricotta bake and tuna salad (along with shake for breakfast and snack) have kept me satisfied. I hope things get better for you soon.

Best to both of you, Cia2020 and Ann777! I hope my post yesterday didn’t leave you feeling down—-I was in a pretty “real” mood and told it like it is from my experience, thus far. Plus Cia2020 saying she was pissed off put me in touch with my own pissed off that hell yea, it’s work!!!😤😅!!

Though our WLS is a tool, and at least makes losing possible (which is something I haven’t been successful at prior) it is still hard work in being diligent and living daily life and exercising on 600-800 calories a day. That in itself is heroic! BUT, the WLS has been a HUGE GIFT, and FANTASTIC and COURAGEOUS DECISION!

One thing I’m noticing is that this journey has been kind of like giving birth, sometimes painful and difficult but once you’re through it, your memory of the pain fades and you only remember the JOY and AMAZEMENT. For example, right now if someone asked me how pre-op diet was, or the early weeks of post op diet, I would say “Oh, it wasn’t bad at all”, and mean it. Yet when I was in the moment, it was not easy every day. By any means! Some days were extra challenging—but so was the bloat, disgust, hopeless futility of waking up in a carb-coma-like-feeling after having stuffed myself back in the day.😝 Or standing in my closet searching for something that fit and didn’t reflect the truth of the “body form I had attained”.

This is worth it! and thankfully we have one another to vent to, to help pull us through so we actually DO get to the end of the rainbow.🌈

Hang in! It will be more fun when we reach maintenance level!