Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Moving to Norway right after surgery, scared of doing post-op diet in a foreign country

Was hoping to have bypass surgery in July (in Estonia!) but travel restrictions are making that difficult. August seems more likely now.

I am an extremely fussy eater. It's not just not liking certain foods, its fear - I'm genuinely scared of that feeling when you first try something new. Putting unknown things in my mouth, strange textures, it's horrible. That's a battle I'm going to have to finally fight in the first 8-10 weeks of the post-op diet. I had hoped to do those stages in the UK where I am more familiar with the foods available, and where there are a couple of WLS-friendly foods which I can tolerate.

But I'm moving to Norway in late August for a year to do a university course. Moving abroad so soon after WLS is bad enough, but I am particularly nervous about doing the post-op diet in a foreign country, in a small town with limited food shops, where I don't know any of the brands.

What can I do to make it easier? Am I overthinking how difficult the early stages of the post-op diet are? And... on the off-chance anyone here is from Norway, what foods did you eat after surgery?

I'm a picky eater too. I got through the pre/post op diet just fine, twice. Once for the Sleeve and once for the bypass.

My first two weeks post op included 3 Protein Shakes a day, Water, chicken or beef broth, non-fat yogurt, sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding prepared from a powder mix, and sugar free sports drinks like gatorade. Since you only follow this diet for two weeks, you could pack a box of supplies and bring them with you.

My second two weeks include eggs, string cheese, applesauce, bananas, mashed potatoes, yogurt, creamy Peanut Butter. I also make home made turkey chili and puree it. During this phase you can have everything from the liquids only phase, but I was ready for new food. I was told if you can get Protein from natural sources, it is better than getting it from protein shakes.

The last phase will be soft foods which allow more meats, cereals, toast, Pasta, vegetables, and cheeses. You should get a list from your nutritionist, but there are several informative lists online. Search for a Post Op bariatric surgery diet.

You'll want to purchase a large supply of bariatric Vitamins online as those are usually difficult to fine in stores. My Doctor asked me to wait two weeks post OP to start vitamins to avoid nausea.

I wish you good luck with your surgery, travels and studies. Sounds like you are really getting a new start this year.

Can you pick out some things you can tolerate now, like Protein Shakes and/or powder and either bring them or mail them to your destination?

I am sure you can find the food you like to eat anywhere - Just using this as a example In my area we have chinese food stores, mexican food stores, and of course whole foods that has a wide variety. I have been to Norway and this is not a third world country, I think you are letting the head games start, Also there is this thing called Amazon that you can order anything from anywhere around the world.

You will be fine, just have to plan a little better.

12 hours ago, MoominMan said:

Moving abroad so soon after WLS is bad enough, but I am particularly nervous about doing the post-op diet in a foreign country, in a small town with limited food shops, where I don't know any of the brands.

As others have already suggested: Norway is not a desert where you have to bring your own supplies. When living in a small town you might have to order Protein powders and Vitamins, depending on your preferences.

Basic food items have no brands. An apple is an apple. ;)