Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been going through the pre-surgical process and have everything now done except the release for surgery. As I have scheduled the various appointments required before surgery, I have found myself wondering how much people would be willing pay to just get these done faster with less hassle! It's my mini survey of the day (I guess I have more time on my hands than I thought 😁)]. These are my most recent, so...

• How much would you pay out of pocket for the psychological assessment if it could be done soon and without you having to drive to get there?
  • How much would you pay to get a doctor's clearance letter for surgery?

Happy Mother's Day to you and yours and stay safe!

The psych guy wanted $250 without insurance and could see me right away. The one that DID take insurance didn't have any appointments available until AFTER my planned surgery date. So I talked the doc that could see me right away down to $200 cash. Money well spent to get all the boxes checked more quickly.

All I had to do to get the doctor's clearance letter was see my GP and that was covered by my insurance. Because of my age my surgeon also made me see a cardiologist to get a cardiac clearance, but again that was covered.

Good luck!

10 minutes ago, WInston223322 said:

I was a cash payment for all and you know what!

BEST DAMM MONEY I EVERY SPENT! PRICELESS

With two insurance policies, I pretty much had to use mine for the surgery! How much did you pay for the two items in my tiny survey? 🙂

22 minutes ago, JRT Mom said:

The psych guy wanted $250 without insurance and could see me right away. The one that DID take insurance didn't have any appointments available until AFTER my planned surgery date. So I talked the doc that could see me right away down to $200 cash. Money well spent to get all the boxes checked more quickly.

All I had to do to get the doctor's clearance letter was see my GP and that was covered by my insurance. Because of my age my surgeon also made me see a cardiologist to get a cardiac clearance, but again that was covered.

Good luck!

Yeah, not all psychologists do them (like physicians they have various specialties) and a smaller town is likely to have no one who can. I have some friends who put it off until the end and had to drive a long way (I know lots of people who get nervous driving into the city, I lived in the city a long time so I'm use to the madness).

My surgeon told me I needed the cardiac clearance, but didn't specify it had to be a cardiologist (at least not that I recall and the written form doesn't say that). Most physicians can do an EKG - but I figure that will be too pricey without insurance. Was it a pain finding someone to do it?

So glad you got it all done and through! I wish I had a date.

Edited by AlwaysCruising

2 hours ago, G8trgrl said:

’m paying $15,500 to have Consult to surgery done in 5 days. Everything included.

I was right there is it ok that the head doc made me get naked? JK i paid 15000 cash but i live in a expensive areaa got it back already in less then a year

My psych consultation was part of the surgery package, covered by insurance. However, I paid $200 for the doctor's clearance.

Mine was covered by insurance, but I AM SERIOUS— I recently retired past few years and told hubby, if insurance rejects me, the first $20k I spend in retirement will be for WLS. I now have the time and burning desire to GET HEALTHY and what use is money if..

A. We’re too unhealthy to enjoy it, or

B. We’re dead from obesity complications.

I would pay whatever it takes, search for the best surgeon available to me. That is just me, and reflective of my determination and the sense of urgency I felt and still feel. ..But many, many others on this board have expressed the same.

“Decide what you want, decide what you’re willing to give up to get it, then go about your business.”

Good luck, make wise decisions, never look back, except to SMILE at how far YOU have come and what a GRAND JOURNEY this REALLY IS!!

Even with insurance in Australia I still had to pay 4000 out of pocket but it was an easy process took 3 months from first consultation to surgery day... 6.5 months post op below goal weight loving life 😁

I had to switch insurance plans for a couple of years because the one I had didn't cover WLS. The one that DID cover it was much more expensive - both the monthly premiums and the deductible. I didn't calculate what how much more it cost me over those two years, but probably a few thousand dollars. I originally thought I'd wait 'til I was eligible for Medicare since they cover, but then it occurred to me I might not even live until age 65 if I didn't do something about my weight. So that made my decision for me...

15 hours ago, WInston223322 said:

I was right there is it ok that the head doc made me get naked? JK i paid 15000 cash but i live in a expensive areaa got it back already in less then a year

I am going to guess you mean for the entire thing? It was a grouped package?

3 hours ago, Superman84 said:

Even with insurance in Australia I still had to pay 4000 out of pocket but it was an easy process took 3 months from first consultation to surgery day... 6.5 months post op below goal weight loving life 😁

Did you pay for the prior requirements out of pocket? Was just wondering what those costs (like the psych eval). 🙂

Just now, AlwaysCruising said:

Did you pay for the prior requirements out of pocket? Was just wondering what those costs (like the psych eval). 🙂

Medicare covered everything prior and the $4000 covered everything surgery related and 7 days in private hospital private room; multiple tests in Hospital; television, food.

no motel just petrol and had to buy my own Vitamins and medication after I left hospital all surgeon consultation now covered as well it was an all inclusive package for the $4000-

No actual psych clearance needed just a referral and a good discussion with the surgeon and of course all my labs and medical history sent to him it was a very simple process here in Australia...

Oh I've had to buy my own Protein Shakes I know some hospitals give out protein...

$4000 is a small price to pay for a new life 😛 & a fast track program!

It's 8.5 months since I started my own pre-op diet and I've lost a total of 152lbs and been maintaining now a few weeks at 170lbs...