Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypothyroidism and Gastric Bypass

Has anyone been diagnosed hypothyroidism and had a gastric bypass?

I'm 4wks post op and been so tired and lost a lot less weight than expected. Typical hypothyroidism symptoms. I can't get my blood test done for a while due to COVID-19.

Just wondered if one of the internal changes after surgery were thyroid hormone production?

Being tired is a very typical symptom for anyone with rapid weight loss after a surgery! Our bodies are going through a major change right now!

Consult with your surgeon, but my bet Is that he will tell you that is normal.

Give yourself some love by not trying to do so much. Your body is still in recovery mode. It will get better & then you will have way more energy then you have had in a long time!

11 minutes ago, toodlerue said:

Being tired is a very typical symptom for anyone with rapid weight loss after a surgery! Our bodies are going through a major change right now!

Consult with your surgeon, but my bet Is that he will tell you that is normal.

Give yourself some love by not trying to do so much. Your body is still in recovery mode. It will get better & then you will have way more energy then you have had in a long time!

Thanks.

I just wondered because I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid in February 2019 and found the correct dose for me around June (150mg thyroxine).

I'll call my surgeon Monday 😊

2 hours ago, Sabs211 said:

I'm 4wks post op and been so tired and lost a lot less weight than expected. Typical hypothyroidism symptoms. I can't get my blood test done for a while due to COVID-19.

Just wondered if one of the internal changes after surgery were thyroid hormone production?

I was diagnosed with hypothroidism in July 2019, and had Loop DS. I've had a helluva time the last month or so with dizziness, fatigue, etc. My primary care doc did blood tests to check some things and found me potassium deficient and my thyroid underactive... again! I had been on the right dose before surgery, but your body goes through changes and so she had to up my dose. I've been losing slightly more weight in the last week since she upped my dose as I lost five pounds instead of my average of 3-4 so I'd say it's working. Hope they figure out what's going on and if it's your thyroid find the right dosage!

14 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

I was diagnosed with hypothroidism in July 2019, and had Loop DS. I've had a helluva time the last month or so with dizziness, fatigue, etc. My primary care doc did blood tests to check some things and found me potassium deficient and my thyroid underactive... again! I had been on the right dose before surgery, but your body goes through changes and so she had to up my dose. I've been losing slightly more weight in the last week since she upped my dose as I lost five pounds instead of my average of 3-4 so I'd say it's working. Hope they figure out what's going on and if it's your thyroid find the right dosage!

Oh thanks! I was due for a thyroid test in March but had my surgery 16th and COVID-19 shut all blood clinics so need to wait to see if it is. Hopefully get some answers 😊

I was stalled last week and gained 1lb and only lost 1.5lbs this week. It's really getting me down.

17 hours ago, Sabs211 said:

Oh thanks! I was due for a thyroid test in March but had my surgery 16th and COVID-19 shut all blood clinics so need to wait to see if it is. Hopefully get some answers 😊

I was stalled last week and gained 1lb and only lost 1.5lbs this week. It's really getting me down.

sounds like the three week stall that almost all of us go through (it isn't always the third week - it can happen any time within the first six weeks or so post-surgery). If you do a search on it on this site, you'll find hundreds - if not thousands - of posts on it. I had mine weeks 2 and 3. Just stick to your program - your weight loss will eventually start up again.

On 4/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, Sabs211 said:

It’s probably the altered metabolism of the thyroid medication that you take and likely need a dosage change. It’s hard how this is altering basic health care. I had gastric bypass surgery because of metabolic disorders (Adrenal and pcos) and inability to exercise. One thing about the thyroid is that it’s slowing your metabolism. Depending on your daily calories and types of foods you eat. I would recommend lowering calories and carbs to kickstart loss. Which is something that I had to work through many times myself.

Like when I took a beta blocker for orthostatic intolerance no one told me it slowed my already slow metabolism so I had to reduce my calories 30% to compensate! That was pre-surgery. I stopped the medication when my insurance wouldn’t pay for anything but generic. At some point my weight just skyrocketed out of control again despite all my efforts. I knew I needed the tool of surgery to reach the calories that would help me stop gaining and lose weight.

hopefully you can get the labs done to see if you need a new dosage of medication. In the meantime food adjustments might help short term.