Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One port, two ports, three ports, four....

I just lost my new port. Dr. Billy took it from me. This just in: IF YOU HAVE A LEAKING, WEEPING WOUND THAT WON'T CLOSE, THIS IS A BAD THING.

The surgery I had two weeks ago in Mexico has been undone. The "mystery fluid" that has been oozing out of me for 8 months was infected (this time cultures were done.) It wasn't rejection, it was infection. It baffles me that not one of the other docs I've seen since May were interested enough to do a culture. Disturbing. No matter how deep they clean an infected wound, some bacteria will stay behind. When Lopez passed the brand new port through the old wound, the new port became surrounded by infectious bacteria. Also, even though my port was placed away from the incision, he left part of the long tube laying across the infected area under the surface of the incision. Dr. Billy has identical cases, and a wound simply will not close when the tube has bacteria and is so close to the surface. Maybe I'm not explaining this exactly, but gimme a break cuz drugs have me, well, drugged.

With the last surgery, Dr. Lopez said an endoscopy wasn't necessary at that moment, but he would watch my progress and do one down the road, either in a couple weeks or later depending on how I was doing. Let this be a lesson to all of us that we have to be aggressive in our own care because I'm sure if I tried harder, Lopez would have done the scope for me. The reason the scope was so important is that Dr. Billy found the beginnings of an ulcer in my stomach, and we have all heard that ulcers can lead to erosion. So, if I kept waiting for time to pass, the ulcer could have gotten much bigger. Billy was fab, I mean it. He reinforced the importance of not taking NSAIDs, which can cause ulcers, and he prescribed 6 months of Pepcid to hopefully cure the ulcer-looking-thing. It's not a true ulcer yet, but it's the beginning, and only the Angels know how long before it became a monster.

Penni is just now telling me that Billy also found some plastic sutures that were left inside me, but he didn't know why they were still in there. Yes, Billy is all they say he is and much much more. He spent all morning with me, sitting by my side with Penni answering so many questions and counseling us both on getting back to Band basics... he even gave us homework that we are not looking forward to doing. However, he is right, that if we want our Bands to work, we have to work our Bands.

To top it off, he threw in a laparoscopy (sp?) which meant he opened 2 of my old incisions plus made a tiny new one in my belly button to look inside my stomach with a camera. He covered me from all angles, and I made a complete ass out of myself upon awakening in the recovery room. According to Dr. Billy, I was hugging everyone in the room and I begged for asthma medicine, even though I'm not asthmatic. He had me and Penni in absolute stitches. Kind, caring, knowledgeable, experienced, and not too hard on the eyes, ahem!

As far as Lopez goes, even Billy agrees he's an excellent surgeon. However, Mexico doesn't carry the same accountabily that US doctors are forced to face due to litigation proceedings. I still have a lot of respect for Lopez because he did what doctors do... he "practiced" medicine, and since there is no exact science, he followed his standards of practice.

If you don't read anything else, please read this. I have an entire new outlook on getting surgery in Mexico. If you do not have a doctor lined up for aftercare, do NOT get a band in Mexico. Get your ducks in a row first. Don't rely on what people tell you, but instead call and speak directly to a local Band surgeon to ensure you are taken well care of throughout your entire journey. Peace.

We're just glad you're okay. I'm glad Dr Billy took such good care of you and Penni is indeed an angel for being there when you needed her help. God bless you both.

Well, I am so glad you know what it is. This also means you may not reject your band and when your infection is healed you can try a new port!! Right!!?? Good thing you found a doc that is working with and being so supportive. THat is a great find and rare. I hope you continue to get better O' portless one!!

Well you just answered my questions I put on the other thread! That is great news that it wasn't a rejection! It's too bad you didn't get to Dr. Billy sooner! I know you are going through a lot right now, and healing is going to take it's time, but at least now you know that you will not lose your band, and you even will have the opportunity to get a new port. I think that is great news! It's just so terrible that you had to be put through all this when it wasn't necessary! It shocks me that no one did the culture! Usually that is the first thing that they do, especially with an open wound like you had. And, leaving things inside you, you could have really had big problems with that one! I truely believe everything happens for a reason, maybe it happened this time to save your life! At least now, you can start putting all this mess behind you and look to the future.

Lisa, this is devistating news! For the banded, as well as the unbanded. Lots to comprehend!

I pray that you will recover well from all of this - goodness, what a mess! Give yourself a pat on the back for listening to your body and seeking other medical help.

One thing though, your mention of an ulcer causing erosion has me concerened. Im wondering what happens if someone banded does develops an ulcer - is it treatable without harming the band? (in your case you mentioned that the ulcer was just forming... Im wondering about one that is full-blown).

I guess it depends on the time frame of having the ulcer and the band... ???

just wondering.

Wow, Lisa. Well, I must say this clears up a lot of things in my mind. Honestly, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, well, you know the rest. No question, an open weeping wound for months at a time is NOT NORMAL, everyone, and it is baffling indeed that no one tested for infection.

Thank goodness it's been caught and treated, FINALLY. Perhaps this is the end of your drama, and you and your little silicone friend will live happily ever after. We hope!!

Dr. Billy has just gone up several notches in my esteem, too.

This explains why Penni saw you naked LOL

I'm just glad you are OK and you got real honest answers and great care. I hope from here on out you have an uneventful band journey

First of all, Thank You Penni! you are a true angel.

Miss Lisa, you've been through so much. I will say a prayer for you every morning. You So deserve to keep your band.

Thanks for letting us know all the details, I appreciate your knowledge.

I want to repeat what you said

call and speak directly to a local Band surgeon to ensure you are taken well care of throughout your entire journey

it's so important to have a band surgeon near you.

Lisa was Dr. Billy able to give you a fill before removing your port like Kuri did before he removed your first port?? I know you mentioned feeling like you had no restriction also did you find out if you had 1.7 cc's ?

Lisa, I'm glad it wasn't rejection, and I'm sending you my most sincere wishes for a quick recovery. Thank god and Penni for Dr. Billy. He sounds like my kind of doc! Maybe you girls can convince him to set up a website. That way those of us too far away can take at peek at his... uh... 'credentials' :D

Lisa, Bless your heart! Thank goodness you were at Penni's and were able to go to a band dr. that would treat you! Please take care of yourself and heal. Hopefully this drama is over for you and you can get well now. (((Hugs)))

Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs...such as Advil and Motrin (Ibuprophen). there are others but I want to be certain before I list them...anybody?

Oh sweetie. So sorry about this whole mess. I'm just glad you finally got some answers and it sounds like you received excellent, thorough care. (I'm still a little stumped that they didn't culture your fluids because I thought that was the status quo with non healing wounds).

Best of luck, m'dear. Here's hoping this is the end of your port issues. BTW, maybe it's because I've been up for 32 hours (don't ask) but will you get another port?