Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG was one week ago. I’m struggling staying hydrated. I am imagining having to eat at some point and still managing to get a minimum of 65oz of Fluid. Does it get easier to manage that? When?

1 hour ago, Sanela said:

VSG was one week ago. I’m struggling staying hydrated. I am imagining having to eat at some point and still managing to get a minimum of 65oz of Fluid. Does it get easier to manage that? When?

Hello! I am 3 weeks out. I am actually eating soft foods now, and I am still struggling with the Fluid. One thing that made it easier is I was not counting the Water I was using in my Protein Shakes, and now I am, so that helped. I found it easier to drink crystal light with about 50% more water than recommended. I also am lucky because I really like chicken Bone Broth, and that gives me fluids and some Protein. I also have bought a variety of herbal teas; I like mint, ginger and a licorice tea. I add a little Stevia, and it is nice break from plain water or the sweet, sweet taste of the protein shakes or the crystal light. The first couple of weeks I was eating a lot of frozen popsicles, sugar free. They are 2 oz of fluids per small pop, so not a great bang for your buck. Good luck, it does get easier, but I am still really conscious of making myself drink all day. On the upside, you do have to get up from your desk a lot to go to the bathroom!

Hello, and congrats on getting your VSG! When I got my sleeve done back in 2018, I had a hard time getting all my fluids in as well, but it does get a lot easier over time. Remember, your stomach is still healing.

I do agree with lisafrommassachusetts though. Track all liquids, including Protein Shakes and broth. You may be getting in more fluids than you realize!

It does get easier. I am 6 weeks post-op and can easily get in 64 oz daily even though I have to wait prior to and after eating meals. I start drinking first thing and keep going all day long. As your stomach heals it will get easier to drink and you will be able to drink more at one time. Just hang in there and shoot for small goals like 4 to 6 ounces each hour.

Yes it gets a ton easier at around 5 weeks for me, The liquid thing is hard for everyone Just do what you can to sip and drink and foods with liquids. My nutritionist told me to keep a eye on how much but do not go crazy with the 64 oz - Your body will tell you what you need, For me it was over 90 oz when i was huge now i am good at 45 oz or lose a 100 plus and you do not need as much = I also have a hydration Tablet kit so that really helps me

These are good and work well

https://www.amazon.com/Science-Sport-Pineapple-Hydration-Supplement/dp/B07S1QTYQS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Science+in+Sport+SiS+GO+Hydro+20+Tablets+-+Pineapple+and+Mango&qid=1583240081&sr=8-1

Edited by AJ Tylo

I'm three months out and still can't get 64 ounces of fluids in a day. My nutritionist isn't too concerned as long as I get 48 ounces in. Also check your pee--it should be a pale yellow. If it is dark yellow then you need more fluids.