Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety through the roof! Help!

Hi All,

I’m booked in for surgery this Thursday 13th Feb.

My doctor is Dr Michael France at Ashford Hospital in Adelaide SA.

I’m truly terrified. I have a 5 year old little girl who is my absolute world and I’m so petrified of something happening to me and leaving her behind - does anyone else feel this way??? I feel selfish to a degree, that I’m doing this think which involves risk ..... but I also know I’m doing it so that I can be a healthier, happier mother to my girl.

Someone tell me it will be okay!

How long were you in hospital? How severe is the pain? Is it as hard of a road as I’ve been reading from other sleevers?

Advice?

You'll be fine. WLS is one of the safest surgeries there is - safer than having a hip replacement.

Mortality rate on RNY is 0.3%. I can't remember the rate on the sleeve, but I know it's even lower. So you have at least a 99.7% chance of pulling through just fine. And you will. These surgeries might have been dangerous 30 or 40 years ago, but they're just not anymore. Things have changed..

pain is very individual and all across the board, but most of us have little to no pain with these surgeries (some people do - but most do not)

don't worry - everything will go just fine and you will be back to your daughter in no time!

you will be fine. Walk into the hospital as if you are crossing something off your to do list for the day.. it will be the best task ever completed.

1 hour ago, Jazzy1125 said:

you will be fine. Walk into the hospital as if you are crossing something off your to do list for the day.. it will be the best task ever completed.

Jazzy1125, Love, Love, Love this attitude!👌🌟 Thank You!😊

I'd be more afraid of NOT having the surgery. I don't know your weight, but if you are like the rest of us here, we were all ticking time bombs waiting to go off with a host of obesity related issues.

I can't add anything better than what everyone has already said so well! We are all rooting for you.

Edited by JRT Mom

Your anxiety is TOTALLY normal! I'm a mom, I get it. I was pretty terrified too. But I am now 10 months post op and have NO REGRETS! You will get through this!

I want to piggy back on the person who said there is no safer place than an OR table. I agree. If your surgeon thought there was a reason why you might not make it, and that the risk was greater than having a successful outcome, they wouldn't let you have surgery.

I know you are scared...but do it anyway. Conquer the fear! You're going to learn so much about yourself and your capabilities after this surgery. It's as much a self love adventure as it is a weight loss one!

This is a defining moment in your life. I mean, truly defining.

You are making this decision to retake control of the asylum and to take charge of your life.

Never forget the WHY of why you have chosen this path.

It's a transformative experience, and few transformations happen without some fear or trepidation.

But courage is continuing to take action and direct/steer your course in the face of that fear.

You can do this. Do it for you. Do it for the kid. The fam. Sure it's scary, but as others have said, this is a very safe surgery.

Google four square breathing. Start practicing it. You will put it to good use between now and surgery and potentially after surgery as well.

I have zero regrets about mine unless it's that I didn't do it sooner. Hang in there. You can do this.

I was sleeved just two weeks ago and totally understand how you are feeling. I experienced anxiety before and even the next day though I was told everything went smoothly and the surgery lasted only 35 minutes. I think it is normal. Try to think about the healthy, thin you and all the fun things you are going to enjoy with your little girl!

As far as it being a hard road, I can honestly say it hasn't been for me. I was in the hospital only one night, even though I was told to plan for two. I had very little pain, really just soreness when I sat up or sat down. I was up walking 3-4 hours after surgery, and I walked and walked until I was released at 8PM the next evening. I have followed all directions and haven't even experienced any nausea. I know it is different for each person, but don't worry too much about about the recovery issues because they subside quickly. Follow all of your medical team's instructions and you will be just fine. You got this!

Edited by rene50

23 hours ago, Lily66 said:

Jazzy1125, Love, Love, Love this attitude!👌🌟 Thank You!😊

you are very welcome. That is exactly what I did... walked in as if i had an errand to run, and it would be done before you know it. Going in with that kind of mentality really helped in my recovery as well. Also do as much research as you can on the boards.. beforehand. it will help you a great deal on how to handle something that happens, because it will happen LOL.. but if you are aware of how others handled it, you will be prepared for when it happens to you and you will not stress about it.. its a long journey.. a great one and you will get out of it what you put into it. Do not compare your journey with anothers because each person is different. Each follows the program differently, some to a T others not so much and each Dr has a different program, so follow YOURS and do not worry about what others are doing. Each starting weight is different as well, each body composition is different and your DR will prescribe what is BEST FOR YOU!!!! Good Luck! Keep us posted!

4 hours ago, Anxious_mumma said:

I can’t thank you all enough for these responses! I forgot I had posted and now, tonight as I lay awake anticipating tomorrow, they came at the best possible timing ever!!!

9.30am tomorrow! I can do it!

YOU GO GIRL😀! YOU’VE GOT THIS... Feel peace, calm, gratitude and joy that your new life is NOW! Soooo Very Excited for YOU! I’m 28 days from surgery and living with you this moment. Please check in with us as soon as you feel able, okay?🌟