Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Pain Question

I am two weeks out from gastric bypass. All was going well but on Tuesday I woke up with some intense lower abdominal pain when attempting a BM. An hour and a half later and many solid BM later, the pain went away. I called my doctor and went back to liquids. My nutritionist thought I had eaten something my stomach didn’t agree with and the pain had subsided. Did liquids for 24 hours and all is back to normal.

Fast forward to Friday morning, same thing is happening right now. Intense lower abdominal pain when having a BM. I do not think it was something I ate because the last time I ate was a Protein Shake 12 hours ago. My stomach is gurgling too.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Advice?

I would use the doctor but seems like you are hungry as hell -

sounds like Constipation - sometimes a lot of gas gets trapped behind it which can cause a lot of pain and bloating.

chronic constipation is actually pretty common in bariatric patients, both sleeve and bypass. A lot of us take a capful of Miralax every day to help with it. Others take things like stool softeners, Smooth Move tea, etc. Just experiment with what works for you and keep on top of it. I wouldn't mess with harsher laxatives except for during the times you really need them (like when you've been blocked up for three or four days). Those aren't made for daily use. But stool softeners and things like Miralax can be used regularly.

even with the daily Miralax, I still get backed up once or twice a month. When it happens, taking Milk of Magnesia for a night or two usually does the trick.

4 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

sounds like constipation - sometimes a lot of gas gets trapped behind it which can cause a lot of pain and bloating.

chronic Constipation is actually pretty common in bariatric patients, both sleeve and bypass. A lot of us take a capful of Miralax every day to help with it. Others take things like stool softeners, Smooth Move tea, etc. Just experiment with what works for you and keep on top of it. I wouldn't mess with harsher laxatives except for during the times you really need them (like when you've been blocked up for three or four days). Those aren't made for daily use. But stool softeners and things like Miralax can be used regularly.

even with the daily Miralax, I still get backed up once or twice a month. When it happens, taking Milk of Magnesia for a night or two usually does the trick.

This is essentially what I was going to say. You probably aren't getting all of your fluids in and you are not eating a normal diet. Those add to the constipation. My doctor prescribed Miralax regularly for the first week or so, and if I am struggling I will still take it if needed. But when I am in full constipation mode I take Milk of Mag and it works like a charm. Always talk to your doctor, but this is probably advise their office will give. And keep increasing Fluid intake as best as you can. If Miralax and MOM don't do the trick, you definitely need to follow up with the doc.

17 minutes ago, KayLow42 said:

We figured out it was actually my vitamins! I was taking Bariatric Fusion chewable 4x per day and I had recently started an additional D3 and Iron supplement. Posting so if anyone searches for something similar they can see this.

Wow. This surprises me. I take the same Vitamins only difference is that I take two in the morning and two at night. My dr said lots of studies have shown taking two and two is just as effective.

never had any stomach issues at all using them plus they taste great!