Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve to bypass weight loss concern



Recommended Posts

I've posted this before but am hoping to hear back from some others.

I am having a sleeve to bypass revision due to severe GERD. I am currently at my goal weight. I weigh 180 and am 5'11". Has anyone else had a revision due to GERD while at goal weight? I can only imagine I'm going to lose significant weight during my liquid and puree phases of the past-op diet. How much more weight did you lose?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following this thread because I have severe GERD as well and my doctor proposed this as an alternative treatment. I’m 4.5 years post op. I have an endoscopy next Tuesday to see what the damage is. I have been looking into different options aside from bypass because i don’t want to Frankenstein my intestines up more. There is a device called a LINX, that I’m going to ask my doctor about, and one other option that I forget the name of, that can be done before doing gastric bypass. I only weigh 140 pounds, down from 357 so I DO NOT want Gastric Bypass since regain has not been an issue for me. I have the same concerns that I will become malnourished if I have the bypass because I am way below goal weight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked into LINX but my insurance considers it experimental and does not cover it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to look the Linx up, and if sounds like a good way to help alleviate GERD on sleeved people. Too bad it's considered experimental, especially since it probably costs WAAY less than having a sleeve to RNY conversion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was considering Linx before my recent bypass. There are study programs out there where you can get it for free if you qualify.

The main qualifier is to have and keep a BMI below 35. I came close to choosing this but just wasn’t comfortable having magnets around my esophagus.

My dr specializes in it and told me that it works very well as long as BMI is kept below 35.

Edited by Losingit2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read about the Linx but I also came across LNF ? Does anyone know anything about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot have fundoplication because I was sleeved and there is no stomach to wrap around the esophagus.

https://www.uhhospitals.org/for-clinicians/articles-and-news/articles/2018/05/multiple-choices-for-gerd-whats-in-a-name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had bypass 11/21/19 and maintained my weight for seven years after my sleeve. I’ve lost a total of 25lbs. My doctor is expecting me to lose up to 40lbs total with the revision which was due to GERD and hiatal hernia. He told me be prepared to lose 30-40lbs overall when I went in for the initial consultation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were you at your goal weight or did you have some to lose? I'm pretty much at my goal weight which is 180. I'm 6 feet tall. If I lose 30 pounds I'm going to look sickly. I know that I'm going to lose a lot in the first month and I'm really worried. Going to a nutritionist to see if I should pack on some weight so I have weight to lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2019 at 2:58 PM, xxjosettexx said:

Following this thread because I have severe GERD as well and my doctor proposed this as an alternative treatment. I’m 4.5 years post op. I have an endoscopy next Tuesday to see what the damage is. I have been looking into different options aside from bypass because i don’t want to Frankenstein my intestines up more. There is a device called a LINX, that I’m going to ask my doctor about, and one other option that I forget the name of, that can be done before doing gastric bypass. I only weigh 140 pounds, down from 357 so I DO NOT want Gastric Bypass since regain has not been an issue for me. I have the same concerns that I will become malnourished if I have the bypass because I am way below goal weight

How was your endoscopy?I have grade b esophagitis which is 2 steps away from Barretts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2019 at 1:58 PM, xxjosettexx said:

Following this thread because I have severe GERD as well and my doctor proposed this as an alternative treatment. I’m 4.5 years post op. I have an endoscopy next Tuesday to see what the damage is. I have been looking into different options aside from bypass because i don’t want to Frankenstein my intestines up more. There is a device called a LINX, that I’m going to ask my doctor about, and one other option that I forget the name of, that can be done before doing gastric bypass. I only weigh 140 pounds, down from 357 so I DO NOT want Gastric Bypass since regain has not been an issue for me. I have the same concerns that I will become malnourished if I have the bypass because I am way below goal weight

i just went through all the testing for GERD and was told the traditional acid reflux surgery isn't an option since most of my stomach was removed with the sleeve. I asked about the Linx surgery but was told the surgeon asked many other doctors and they all said I should have full bypass ( I already had the mini bypass to fix acid reflux but obviously that didn't work). My insurance just denied the surgery today so I'm looking at going back to Mexico, again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Tracyringo said:

I read about the Linx but I also came across LNF ? Does anyone know anything about it?

I was told if you've had the sleeve, you don't have enough stomach to wrap around the esophagus so LNF isn't an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2019 at 1:33 PM, GotItDoneInHarlem said:

I've posted this before but am hoping to hear back from some others.

I am having a sleeve to bypass revision due to severe GERD. I am currently at my goal weight. I weigh 180 and am 5'11". Has anyone else had a revision due to GERD while at goal weight? I can only imagine I'm going to lose significant weight during my liquid and puree phases of the past-op diet. How much more weight did you lose?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

J

is your insurance paying for the bypass? mine (bcbs of ks) just denied mine. they are saying the reflux is a complication of the prior weight loss surgery, which is not necessarily true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, bikerchick519 said:

I was told if you've had the sleeve, you don't have enough stomach to wrap around the esophagus so LNF isn't an option.

That’s not true at all. I did choose to revise to bypass partly because I had not lost enough weight with sleeve.

However, I was excellent candidate for linx procedure. I opted to do it then changed my mind a few days later. My original surgery was sleeve.

oops I now see that you were speaking of lnf and not linx. Sorry

Edited by Losingit2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Losingit2018 said:

That’s not true at all. I did choose to revise to bypass partly because I had not lost enough weight with sleeve.

However, I was excellent candidate for linx procedure. I opted to do it then changed my mind a few days later. My original surgery was sleeve.

oops I now see that you were speaking of lnf and not linx. Sorry

I thought they would do the LINX for me but the doctor said he took my case to a board of doctors internationally and they all said I need a full gastric bypass and not the linx. but of course my insurance has denied the bypass and the linx so I'll just have to keep suffering for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ms.sss

      I think i just spent the entire morning plus a couple more hours on here.
      My name is ms.sss and I am a BP forums-aholic.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      My life is WONDERFUL
      JUST PLAIN WONDERFUL
      I am 10 weeks post op today. I have lost 43 pounds!
      I walk 3-5 miles daily and I have picked up Hoola Hooping! I am on a dang roll and I love it.
      SO HAPPY I GOT THE SLEEVE!
      Sorry I have been absent on here but I really have made it a point to take care of ME. My exercise time is precious so I have to get it in before working or anything else.
      I wish there was MORE than WORDS to express to you just how wonderful I feel!
      I even created a new blog post today! https://sabrinagoddess.com/create-a-life-that-you-love

      · 2 replies
      1. Michaeljex

        http://herbalgeek.com/products/weight_loss/hoodia

      2. Michaeljex

        http://herbalgeek.com/products/weight_loss/hoodia

    • BayougirlMrsS

      WOW..... 50,005 people have viewed my profile..... Hope i was able to inspire at least one....
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Vicki Lindsey

      Ok I had surgery on Jan 27 2020 so I am 3 weeks out and have lost 32 lbs  I wish I had this done sooner. Now just trying to figure out different things to eat so I am not eating the same thing over and over. I did order some stuff today from the Bariatric Store and that stuff should be here in time for my next phase. I have a goal of 50 lbs by the first of June hope that is attainable. Good luck to every one on this journey 
      · 1 reply
      1. MAUREEN2U

        That wonderful. That's a lot of weight for such a short time.Hooray.

    • GinaFigz

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×